Boosted Tech Supercharger Kit Issues / Forced Induction Tuning Rant (From a Tuners Standpoint)

Those things are ugly in a meh kinda way. I have no idea why they labeled that crossover a Mustang. That being said, that thing will scoot. But I wouldn't buy one.

Agreed, should have named it a SHO Taurus, after their old wagon. It looks like they are copying Tesla with that crappy looking Ludacris mode vehicle, which is wicked fast.

This Mach E is an embarrassment to the Mustang name, and while this Mach-E will scoot, and will be quicker than the average car, the high end Mach E (GT Performance) is not running with a real top of the line Mustang GT, nor a Dodge SRT vehicle.

Driving these EV vehicles are no good, and I have only driven Teslas, but they have no heart and soul, it is the equivalent of porking a human vs. a blow-up doll.

Now we are talking, would love to mount one of those on the roof of a Tesla.

Agreed, should have named it a SHO Taurus, after their old wagon. It looks like they are copying Tesla with that crappy looking Ludacris mode vehicle, which is wicked fast.

This Mach E is an embarrassment to the Mustang name, and while this Mach-E will scoot, and will be quicker than the average car, the high end Mach E (GT Performance) is not running with a real top of the line Mustang GT, nor a Dodge SRT vehicle.

Driving these EV vehicles are no good, and I have only driven Teslas, but they have no heart and soul, it is the equivalent of porking a human vs. a blow-up doll.

Now we are talking, would love to mount one of those on the roof of a Tesla.
Mustang is going from a model to a brand. Same as Bronco.

I tried HP and couldn't get it to work the way I wanted. It wasn't until I disabled the adaptive trims that it seemed to behave appropriately. My trims were plus or minus 1-3% and WOT was good, but it still was quirky with the adaptive trims enabled. I believe that part throttle boost was a huge contributing factor to the trim instability. I ultimately gave up and went stand alone.

I have the Boosted kit - and wish I could go back in time and go another direction with my rig. I've thought about trying to sell the Boosted kit - but don't want to curse someone else with it. And I'm not quite ready to lose my a$$ - in terms of money and time - if I am to ditch the Boosted kit.

I'm curious as to what magnitude of gains might be possible from following Flyin' Ryans advice? I already have a wideband O2 - so I'm good there. I'm considering adding a meth injection kit, ditching the SS component and getting a real tune, and properly using IAT. I have to believe the meth injection and ditching SS for a real tune should yield some noticeable gains? I know making the above changes isn't going to come cheap. But if I can expect something like a 25HP gain - the cost is a bit easier to swallow...

On my current setup, I running 8lbs of boost. I have aFE headers and full 3in exhaust with high flow cat. I also have 62mm throttle body and the 703 injectors. I had it dyno'ed about 1 year ago, and was at 208 rwhp (don't have the slip on hand and forget torque).

I think a tune from Ryan on top of your supercharger would make you like it a lot more. Tuning a boosted setup would almost certainly show more pronounced results than tuning something n/a. Well worth it IMHO.

Well your prayers might answered chris! Boosted tech has yet to fill any TJ orders in the last 6 months! Spilt sec is in California and can’t get parts or ship controllers in timely manner. The machine shop that builds his machined parts moved and has yet to reopen for business. There really is nobody selling complete kits anymore! magum powers sells the hardware 4-6 weeks lead time and no tuning.

I have no experience with their kit, but I can tell you that even a perfectly decent kit will disappoint you if it is not tuned correctly.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I have the Boosted kit - and wish I could go back in time and go another direction with my rig. I've thought about trying to sell the Boosted kit - but don't want to curse someone else with it. And I'm not quite ready to lose my a$$ - in terms of money and time - if I am to ditch the Boosted kit.

I'm curious as to what magnitude of gains might be possible from following Flyin' Ryans advice? I already have a wideband O2 - so I'm good there. I'm considering adding a meth injection kit, ditching the SS component and getting a real tune, and properly using IAT. I have to believe the meth injection and ditching SS for a real tune should yield some noticeable gains? I know making the above changes isn't going to come cheap. But if I can expect something like a 25HP gain - the cost is a bit easier to swallow...

On my current setup, I running 8lbs of boost. I have aFE headers and full 3in exhaust with high flow cat. I also have 62mm throttle body and the 703 injectors. I had it dyno'ed about 1 year ago, and was at 208 rwhp (don't have the slip on hand and forget torque).
You have any luck getting your boosted kit going? Mines a mess hasn’t ran right since installed. Completely shuts down at around 45 mph under light throttle. Code is correlation between map and tps. Only vacuum leak was the junk tb he sent me and replaced with a bbk. Had multiple shops look at it and can’t find anything wrong.

You have any luck getting your boosted kit going? Mines a mess hasn’t ran right since installed. Completely shuts down at around 45 mph under light throttle. Code is correlation between map and tps. Only vacuum leak was the junk tb he sent me and replaced with a bbk. Had multiple shops look at it and can’t find anything wrong.
Has it been tuned?

Yes by boosted remotely.

Does your tuner know how to tune is the bigger question? I have seen and heard of lots of so called tuners who blow up engines. They talk a big game, and if you are noob, you may not know how to spot a "talker".

Are you stacking a piggyback on the stock ECU or does the kit come with a stand alone ECU?

Let me tell you all about my remote tune experience with BT...

I get my Jeep strapped into the dyno - then call BT to start the remote access part. BT immediately puts me on hold for almost 1hr - no exaggeration. I then spend the next 3 hours making maybe half a dozen pulls - each one just getting leaner and leaner. BT would go silent for long periods in between each pull. And I was having to email BT video clips showing tachometer and AFR gauge from each pull. Complete BS for $400 I paid for the BT 'tune'. And I also had to pay dyno cost - which wasn't cheap.

Finally after 3-4 hours of complete & total fuc*ery - the dyno owner/operator got pissed with BT and just pulled the plug. He said the only thing we were making progress towards was blowing up my Jeep. I had to have the Jeep towed home because it was now undriveable. At that point, I was officially done with BT.

I ended up emailing SplitSecond with my sob story, and asked for any help/guidance they might be able to give. I also sent the tune as BT had left it. Unsurprisingly, it was very lean and had excessive timing retard (according to SplitSecond). SplitSecond sent me a tune that got me up and running again - but was very conservative.

I'd love to make all the changes Flyin Ryan recommended - but the time & $$$ aren't easy to come by. Especially having to re-tap the intake manifold for IAT and buy HPTuner. I have installed AEM v3 Meth Kit and the NGK plugs he recommended. I've also spent some time learning the R4 software to modify the SplitSecond timing and fuel maps. That software is very primitive - and my approach is to make very incrementally small changes to these maps - and just keep tinkering and watching AFR/listening for knocks. So far, so good.

I do want to show some appreciation for SplitSecond. They responded very quickly, and didn't charge me anything for helping - even with me offering in my initial email to them.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Apparition
Let me tell you all about my remote tune experience with BT...

I get my Jeep strapped into the dyno - then call BT to start the remote access part. BT immediately puts me on hold for almost 1hr - no exaggeration. I then spend the next 3 hours making maybe half a dozen pulls - each one just getting leaner and leaner. BT would go silent for long periods in between each pull. And I was having to email BT video clips showing tachometer and AFR gauge from each pull. Complete BS for $400 I paid for the BT 'tune'. And I also had to pay dyno cost - which wasn't cheap.

Finally after 3-4 hours of complete & total fuc*ery - the dyno owner/operator got pissed with BT and just pulled the plug. He said the only thing we were making progress towards was blowing up my Jeep. I had to have the Jeep towed home because it was now undriveable. At that point, I was officially done with BT.

I ended up emailing SplitSecond with my sob story, and asked for any help/guidance they might be able to give. I also sent the tune as BT had left it. Unsurprisingly, it was very lean and had excessive timing retard (according to SplitSecond). SplitSecond sent me a tune that got me up and running again - but was very conservative.

I'd love to make all the changes Flyin Ryan recommended - but the time & $$$ aren't easy to come by. Especially having to re-tap the intake manifold for IAT and buy HPTuner. I have installed AEM v3 Meth Kit and the NGK plugs he recommended. I've also spent some time learning the R4 software to modify the SplitSecond timing and fuel maps. That software is very primitive - and my approach is to make very incrementally small changes to these maps - and just keep tinkering and watching AFR/listening for knocks. So far, so good.

I do want to show some appreciation for SplitSecond. They responded very quickly, and didn't charge me anything for helping - even with me offering in my initial email to them.
Sounds like you had the same experiences I did with Mark from Boosted and his robot voice. I spent 5 hours trying to tune with him and wanted to run front of a truck after. I contacted split second as well and he tried to tune but not much success just more spark knock. I emailed flying Ryan and hopefully he can help. Thanks for your input.

Does your tuner know how to tune is the bigger question? I have seen and heard of lots of so called tuners who blow up engines. They talk a big game, and if you are noob, you may not know how to spot a "talker".

Are you stacking a piggyback on the stock ECU or does the kit come with a stand alone ECU?
I can't find a tuner that is willing to work on a Jeep. I bought the HP tuner in the kit and has the Split Second FTC that ties into factory harness. Every HP tuner shop I visited in Michigan was GM or Ford only, now the Jeep is in Florida and I found a couple shops that looked at it but weren't that confident with Jeep Tunes and I'm told the 06 is even more finicky. And yes I'm new to tuning, I installed a Holley sniper system on my 427 but its pretty much plug and play with minor adjustments and nothing like this HP tuner.

I can't find a tuner that is willing to work on a Jeep. I bought the HP tuner in the kit and has the Split Second FTC that ties into factory harness. Every HP tuner shop I visited in Michigan was GM or Ford only, now the Jeep is in Florida and I found a couple shops that looked at it but weren't that confident with Jeep Tunes and I'm told the 06 is even more finicky. And yes I'm new to tuning, I installed a Holley sniper system on my 427 but its pretty much plug and play with minor adjustments and nothing like this HP tuner.

I would recommend joining the HP Tuner forum and look for a Jeep 4.0 tuner, like on this thread.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?84607-Jeep-wrangler-tj
I am learning this now as well, but on a different platform, Tuner Studio, with a different ECU for a different vehicle. Best of luck!