Bought an '02 TJ, how to determine current lift?

Bruntic

Hi there everyone, first post so be gentle.

I just bought a red '02 TJ after a few years of poking around looking for the right one and trying to figure out whether I wanted an XJ or a TJ more. Needless to say I'm smitten and already looking to start building. The previous owner (number 3 and not the one that installed the lift) stated it had a '2 and a half inch lift' and the car currently sits on 31s. Is there any way I can verify it is a 2.5, and whether its a body or suspension lift or anything just by looking at and measuring things under it? I'm not new to working on cars so not afraid to get dirty, but this is my first 4x4/truck that I've crawled under to do anything more than an oil change to. Everything else has been sports cars and engine bits rather than lifts and chassis.

If it does end up being a 2.5 inch lift, what problems will I run into mounting 33s to it now? My eventual goal is just have a solid trail setup on 33s and either the LCoG tummy tuck etc. build or a 4 inch lift. Issue is the 31s it's sitting on are already 10 years old so I want to replace them, and don't want to spend the money on another set of 31s if I can avoid it. Would I be unable to go on easy trails just to get to camp sites etc. on 33s with a 2.5?
photo_2021-10-10_11-43-00.jpg

Oh wow, how did I miss that. My bad, thanks. I'll go measure right now.

Ok it looks like according to that, 14inch springs in the front means 2 inches.

Any thoughts on how to proceed on replacing the tires? Are 33s going to be a problem on that for daily driving and easy trails? Once I do end up getting to the point that I want to increase the lift, Should I throw away what's on it now and go with a full 4" suspension lift or just add an inch or two of body lift to this?

Last edited:
Reactions: J R
2" of suspension lift isn't enough for 33's. At a minimum I'd at least install a 1" to 1.25" (nothing taller!) body lift. Ideally 4" of added clearance works well for 33's, like a 3" suspension lift plus a 1-1.25" body lift.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
Hi there everyone, first post so be gentle.

I just bought a red '02 TJ after a few years of poking around looking for the right one and trying to figure out whether I wanted an XJ or a TJ more. Needless to say I'm smitten and already looking to start building. The previous owner (number 3 and not the one that installed the lift) stated it had a '2 and a half inch lift' and the car currently sits on 31s. Is there any way I can verify it is a 2.5, and whether its a body or suspension lift or anything just by looking at and measuring things under it? I'm not new to working on cars so not afraid to get dirty, but this is my first 4x4/truck that I've crawled under to do anything more than an oil change to. Everything else has been sports cars and engine bits rather than lifts and chassis.

If it does end up being a 2.5 inch lift, what problems will I run into mounting 33s to it now? My eventual goal is just have a solid trail setup on 33s and either the LCoG tummy tuck etc. build or a 4 inch lift. Issue is the 31s it's sitting on are already 10 years old so I want to replace them, and don't want to spend the money on another set of 31s if I can avoid it. Would I be unable to go on easy trails just to get to camp sites etc. on 33s with a 2.5?View attachment 282536

Nice Jeep, welcome to the forum! Looks like you've already received some good advice on the lift. As for the tires, those have only been on the market since ~2015, so they can't be 10 years old. Perhaps they still have some life left in them.

I'd just add a 1.25" BL for 33s, if you don't have any vibes now. No point lifting the suspension more and running into other issues and expenses.
p.s. 33x12.50" tires will rub with those wheels. You will need wheels spacers or properly backspaced aftermarket wheels. If you have stock 3.07 gears, you will hate it with 33s. Check the rear diff tag first. 3.73 gears pictured.
Dana axle tag (3).jpg

Last edited: