Bought new 42RLE transmission today from Bullripper

Jerry Little

Bought new transmission 42RLE today from Bullripper "AKA" TRANSMISSION EXCHANGE COMPANY. The change plates and stator in torque converter. Build transmission with all updates and using Sonnax shift kit etc. They are built in house from a company who has been around a long time out of Oregon. I found that the stock torque converters are badly built, the single disk.brake down getting metal in tranny causing problems to start. A lot due to non ATF-4 oil used. Now will have RV t.c. now a week before they build and send to shop for me.

P.S a local trans shop owner here has a 2014 JK less than 100k he already had to put in a rebuilt motor, trans and rear end. His words where the JK is junk!

Reactions: astjp2
Seems like a good price for a rebuild and torque converter. Did you ask what return shipping was going to cost on the core?
Ya keep in mind it is not just a rebuild but a remanufactured. Meaning they help to fix the problems they have. Shipping to me is 125.00 they pay. They they will help me with cost so we will see. Meaning they will pay and I will reimburse them since they get good prices

Let us know how you like it. I knew these guys were in Oregon, and @psrivats and I were curious as to what advantage (if any) the upgraded parts in this transmission would even have.

Ya ok that's kinda why I posted it since they dont advertise what they do to them.

Last I looked, I believe the only thing they do is put in a stronger torque convertor (or something like that), nothing else. I just wasn't sure what the benefit to that was.

Yes, besides it is listed as heavy duty. They said they fix all current updates and install a sonnax shift kit. I think the shift kit they use probably has the updates

Reactions: MikeE024
Let us know how you like it. I knew these guys were in Oregon, and @psrivats and I were curious as to what advantage (if any) the upgraded parts in this transmission would even have.

Yes, Chris and I talked about these guys and ATS diesel a while ago. Please do post your observations on how you like the new 42RLE.

OK Chris, I got some specifics from a Spencer over there at BullRipper today in writing so I can copy it here what he said as far as the transmissions go. They seem to be building a good transmission so far and I am glad I bought from them to date even though I don't have it yet. Here is what he said...... " the HD 42RLE will include a heavy duty RV style converter (with brazed fins and updated grooved friction clutch), Transgo shift kit, ALTO USA friction plates, and various Sonnax upgrades by need to cure common/repeat failures (most common is hardened OD clutch housing bushing and oversized solenoid switch valve plug kit).

Reactions: Weasellee and Chris
OK Chris, I got some specifics from a Spencer over there at BullRipper today in writing so I can copy it here what he said as far as the transmissions go. They seem to be building a good transmission so far and I am glad I bought from them to date even though I don't have it yet. Here is what he said...... " the HD 42RLE will include a heavy duty RV style converter (with brazed fins and updated grooved friction clutch), Transgo shift kit, ALTO USA friction plates, and various Sonnax upgrades by need to cure common/repeat failures (most common is hardened OD clutch housing bushing and oversized solenoid switch valve plug kit).

Hi Jerry - any update on this transmission?

Transgo Stage 1 or Stage 2? I installed the Stage 1 into my 42RLE last year and like how it still shifts normally. Stage 2 makes it shift firmer which I didn't want.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ

Very cool, thanks for the info Jerry, I appreciate it.

@psrivats, you may or may not find this interesting.

Sonnax is good stuff, their engineers figure out a lot of OEM problems in all sorts of transmissions.

Reactions: Daryl
Transgo Stage 1 or Stage 2? I installed the Stage 1 into my 42RLE last year and like how it still shifts normally. Stage 2 is makes it shift firmer which I didn't want.
It sucks that that the harder it shifts, the better it is on the transmission, its the slippage that causes some probems with the clutches. I like redline thin ones, they are usually able to add a friction and disc, which adds holding power.

Jerry Little....any update on the Bullripper Installation? I may have a tranmission remanufacture in my near future and haven't been able to get any feedback on the Bullripper or ATS remans from someone that actually purchased one. Thanks

I’ve been watching for any update on that Bullripper trans install too. I ended up ordering a ATS trans/tc package. Hope to have it installed in a week or two.

I’ve been watching for any update on that Bullripper trans install too. I ended up ordering a ATS trans/tc package. Hope to have it installed in a week or two.
Let me know how it works out. I have the shudder in mine. Not sure if it will last another day or another year.

I just had my bullripper installed the other day. I had a shop put it in for me. So far so good. Haven't taken it on the highway yet and haven't gone over 60. But the shifting seems fine so far. Ask away for any ?'s you may have.

Thanks for the update keep us posted because as I mentioned earlier I have the same thing in my future. It's a big decision for me and I want to get it right the first time.