Bought new 42RLE transmission today from Bullripper

@psrivats has one too I believe.

I'm not happy with my ATS diesel rebuild. The downshifts are very harsh (all downshifts) and there is is a bearing noise that's been there since day 1. Very clearly audible at low speeds.

Also unhappy with the poor customer service from the company. They do have a lead time, but my rebuild took far much longer - the person I was talking to left the company apparently and somehow they "lost" my order. Kept getting the "will be ready in a week" everytime I called and they eventually sent it after I called and said "just send me my core back".

They have a 5yr/500k mile warranty and my sense is that they are not really interested in honoring that. When I called, they just bluntly said "our transmissions don't do that, we check everything before we send it". The only way to get any service work done is to ship the trans on my dime and have them take a look at it The downtime is going to be too much and no guarantee anything will really get fixed.

I took my vehicle to a local trans shop to get a diagnosis and they said it's likely that the PCM is unable to adequately adjust to whatever (aggressive) valve body mods that have been made. They also said there is a tapered bearing on the rear shaft inside the transmission and the bearing noise is likely from that not installed properly.

Thankfully I still have my original trans and I'm figuring out a plan.

Given all this, I really cannot recommend ATS diesel. You'll be taking a chance in my opinion. If you go read reviews online, you'll see it's 50-50 in general. There are folks on this forum that have gotten transmissions from them and are happy. @Grover728 lives close to me and he is one of them. We actually met and he drove my Jeep and even he said mine is not quite right.

I'm not happy with my ATS diesel rebuild. The downshifts are very harsh (all downshifts) and there is is a bearing noise that's been there since day 1. Very clearly audible at low speeds.

Also unhappy with the poor customer service from the company. They do have a lead time, but my rebuild took far much longer - the person I was talking to left the company apparently and somehow they "lost" my order. Kept getting the "will be ready in a week" everytime I called and they eventually sent it after I called and said "just send me my core back".

They have a 5yr/500k mile warranty and my sense is that they are not really interested in honoring that. When I called, they just bluntly said "our transmissions don't do that, we check everything before we send it". The only way to get any service work done is to ship the trans on my dime and have them take a look at it The downtime is going to be too much and no guarantee anything will really get fixed.

I took my vehicle to a local trans shop to get a diagnosis and they said it's likely that the PCM is unable to adequately adjust to whatever (aggressive) valve body mods that have been made. They also said there is a tapered bearing on the rear shaft inside the transmission and the bearing noise is likely from that not installed properly.

Thankfully I still have my original trans and I'm figuring out a plan.

Given all this, I really cannot recommend ATS diesel. You'll be taking a chance in my opinion. If you go read reviews online, you'll see it's 50-50 in general. There are folks on this forum that have gotten transmissions from them and are happy. @Grover728 lives close to me and he is one of them. We actually met and he drove my Jeep and even he said mine is not quite right.
Wow…just wow 😮

Thanks for the replies, I do really appreciate it.

I want what ATS says to be true but after scouring the web things don‘t look good and they are the most expensive. If I was local to them I would try them out.

I called bull ripper, I like that they use the sonnax stuff and they are $2400.

Street smart is semi local and comes in at $1800. They claim to address or improve parts during the rebuild but can not get them to list the specifics.

Monster is kinda local too and they said they can build a HD 42rle for $2800. I may beat Monster up for more details.

Reactions: psrivats
I got a great deal from them but the did send me a liberty tail housing that took a while to fix. I couldn't understand what was wrong at first and had to go back and forth with part numbers to get me the correct one. So for me the price was right with the black Friday sale and free shipping.

Reactions: psrivats
$1980 and they charge a $450 core deposit that you will get back minus the shipping. The delivery company charged $150 to use the lift gate. Such a rip off!
@reichlejj how has your Bullripper held up? I am currently looking at them for my 42RLE replacement. Haven’t officially ordered it, but they currently have the best lead time and seem pretty responsive so far. I’m curious to see how yours has held up.

Thanks!

My 42rle is on its last leg, Would you guys mind posting updated's on your tranny choice?
@Grote streetsmart
@reichlejj Bullripper
@Drc06tj ATS

Thanks,
@Fluxor What did you end up doing? I’m going to be doing a replacement soon and am curious as to what direction you went and how it’s worked out. I’m looking at Bullripper, BestBuy, and Street Smart.

I had a Bullripper installed last week. I've only logged about 500 miles, but so far, so good. Shifts smoothly, no whining noises or anything like that.

P.S a local trans shop owner here has a 2014 JK less than 100k he already had to put in a rebuilt motor, trans and rear end. His words where the JK is junk!
Must be luck. My jk is reliable and really a great Jeep. Cadillac ride compared to my tj. 65,000 miles. But I still love my tj best.

Reactions: Chris
I had a Bullripper installed last week. I've only logged about 500 miles, but so far, so good. Shifts smoothly, no whining noises or anything like that.
Any changes (good or bad) since the install? How does it compare to your original transmission.

Bought new transmission 42RLE today from Bullripper "AKA" TRANSMISSION EXCHANGE COMPANY. The change plates and stator in torque converter. Build transmission with all updates and using Sonnax shift kit etc. They are built in house from a company who has been around a long time out of Oregon. I found that the stock torque converters are badly built, the single disk.brake down getting metal in tranny causing problems to start. A lot due to non ATF-4 oil used. Now will have RV t.c. now a week before they build and send to shop for me.

P.S a local trans shop owner here has a 2014 JK less than 100k he already had to put in a rebuilt motor, trans and rear end. His words where the JK is junk!
How’s the bullripper been holding up?

Any changes (good or bad) since the install? How does it compare to your original transmission.
I've got about 1200 miles on it now, and the best thing I can say about it is that I don't even think about it. I got the temp gauge hooked up a week or so ago, and it's running at about 180°. It creeps up to 200° in stop and go traffic, but quickly cools back down to 180° once I get clear of that.

I will be hooking up the trans cooler this weekend. I wanted to get before and after readings and will post those up once that is done.

I've got about 1200 miles on it now, and the best thing I can say about it is that I don't even think about it. I got the temp gauge hooked up a week or so ago, and it's running at about 180°. It creeps up to 200° in stop and go traffic, but quickly cools back down to 180° once I get clear of that.

I will be hooking up the trans cooler this weekend. I wanted to get before and after readings and will post those up once that is done.

That sounds great. I'm waiting on a bullripper to be built (ordered it about 10 days ago) after overheating my current transmission (boiled the uncontaminated ATF+4 Mopar fluid and popped P 0700 and 0701 codes).

I'm curious how long it takes your transmission to reach 180 degrees. My gauge takes about 20-30 minutes to show 150 degrees (coming from the pan) and that's about as long as I have driven the vehicle since it overheated. I was surprised at how long it takes my transmission to warm, but this likely explains why I've been doing just fine all these months driving locally but then overheated when taking it out all day.

That sounds great. I'm waiting on a bullripper to be built (ordered it about 10 days ago) after overheating my current transmission (boiled the uncontaminated ATF+4 Mopar fluid and popped P 0700 and 0701 codes).

I'm curious how long it takes your transmission to reach 180 degrees. My gauge takes about 20-30 minutes to show 150 degrees (coming from the pan) and that's about as long as I have driven the vehicle since it overheated. I was surprised at how long it takes my transmission to warm, but this likely explains why I've been doing just fine all these months driving locally but then overheated when taking it out all day.
It takes a bit to get to 180°, a good 25 minutes.

Reactions: MikeE024