Brightest non-LED headlights

Toyota/Koito H4 conversion with HD harness to run 100/80’s Might be a great option.
DOT approved. Kit is under $50.

AA761BFC-CD41-451D-AB9D-D0B4D117C9E2.jpeg

D0D8975F-2063-41BC-800E-D46017993388.jpeg

The Toyota part number is 81110-60P70.

I bought the Toyota kit for the harness but I’m using Cibie lamps and Osram bulbs. Cibie are E-Code. I haven’t looked at the Koito lamps to see if they have a DOT stamp.

While H4 gives many options, I didn't think that anything other than 55W low beam / 65W high beam were DOT approved.
There are much higher wattage bubs that are labeled "For off-road use only".
I have some that are 55W / 100W.

Last edited:
Reactions: LONGJP2
I'm running H4s with 100/ 80 watt bulbs and since they're aimed properly, never had a problem with the law, or even being flashed. You can get even brighter bulbs, 130/ 90 watt is the highest I know of, but you absolutely want the add on wire harness to run those.
I also have white fog lights with 100 watt bulbs that I use just about anywhere where the street lights are not very good. They are aligned with my headlights so that they don't blind other drivers either. Additionally, they are canted outward about 15 degrees to light up the side of the road better.
You could also look at HID lights. They are brighter than halogens, and don't have that damn blue tint that 99% of LEDs do. My work truck, (Freightliner Cascadia) had them, and they never let me down. I don't know enough about HIDs to offer any more than that, other than to say that they're NOT cheap.

Reactions: MikekiM
The Toyota bulbs look very promising. Thanks! Question about them….if I use the bulbs that come with it, is there a need to use the harness?

What’s the highest wattage bulbs you can safely use with the factory wiring?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
The Toyota bulbs look very promising. Thanks! Question about them….if I use the bulbs that come with it, is there a need to use the harness?

What’s the highest wattage bulbs you can safely use with the factory wiring?

Thanks again?

No need to add the harness if you want to run the lower wattage bulbs. I would say the bulbs that come with the kit are the highest output I would use without installing the harness. I ran higher wattage bulbs in one of my JKs using IPS H4 housings and over a short period melted the harness adapter.

The harness is super easy to install and really well made. It alone is worth the price of the kit.

The 100/85’s are available from Q-Tec for less than $5. I bought three pairs when I did the kit install.

If you want to stay with the kit bulbs (I think they are 65/55) and don’t want to do the harness, I’ll sell you mine. I have the housings, with X-Pel protector film and the original bulbs in a box in my parts cabinet. I removed them when I installed the Holley LEDs, but left the upgraded harness installed.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Thanks! I think I’ll order the whole thing including the harness that way I can upgrade the bulbs at a later time if I decide to. I don’t think the OE bulbs are bad but wouldn’t mind a little brighter bulb. I hate the non DOT bulbs on any vehicle because so many of them shine light all over the place vs putting it where it needs to be.

I hate the non DOT bulbs on any vehicle because so many of them shine light all over the place vs putting it where it needs to be.
A decent H4 bulb like these Hellas will keep the light where it is now, just more of it. When I replaced the 65/55s with the 100/80s I didn't have to adjust anything. The good news with your plan is that with the H4 housings, you don't have to remove them to change the bulb. It's done from the back of the housing.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
According to the FSM 8W-50 the power wiring for the headlights are 14 ga and the fuse is 10A, but the ground wire is ONLY 18 ga.
The 18 ga ground wiring will not support much more than 7.5 A.
If you test the voltage to the OEM headlight connector you will find approximately 11.5V (voltage in several TJs that I tested).
Even if you are ONLY installing the Koito headlights and 65/55W bulbs; I would install the harness since you are approaching the Amp rating of the 18 ga ground wire with that rated bulb.
The separate Koito harness will supply approximately 13.8V (depending upon alternator charge rate) instead of the 11.5V. The additional 2V will make the headlights brighter even before installing the better headlight housings and bulbs.

Thanks! I think I’ll order the whole thing including the harness that way I can upgrade the bulbs at a later time if I decide to. I don’t think the OE bulbs are bad but wouldn’t mind a little brighter bulb. I hate the non DOT bulbs on any vehicle because so many of them shine light all over the place vs putting it where it needs to be.
At the price the kit goes for I would go that route. (I recall folks paying between $45 and $55. I paid $48 cash and carry)
The harness alone is worth the price of the kit.

Twin blister pack of H4 100/80’s are only 5 bucks on Amazon right now:

HELLA H4 100/80WTB High Wattage Bulbs, 12V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SGR4SY/?tag=wranglerorg-20
That's what I bought.. but they were $2.99.

What's up with bulbs that claim 200% more light, yet it's still rated 65/55W?
How is that possible?
For example
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4039165519...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
These statements always beg the question.. compared to what? It's certainly NOT 200% more light than a 65/55.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Last edited:
I got the Toyota upgrade, lens and harness, and the Quadratec 130/90 bulbs for like $2.49, and now I’ve soem actual headlights.

They are aimed properly and never once a flash, they still aren’t ridiculous LED’s that blast everyone’s eyeballs out if their head, not even close.

Reactions: red02tj