Broken bump stop cup bolt

Cheetokps

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
129B09D9-C2A0-474C-AEED-57F10FA7A8F9.jpeg
I’ve been working on installing my lift and unfortunately snapped my rear bump stop cup bolt off. I tried kroil, my new map gas torch, and Vice grips but my vice grips didn’t have enough grip on it. I also tried drilling and using a bolt extractor, but the extractor broke off inside (don’t know why I keep trying them, they keep doing that).

Any suggestions on getting it out? I’m tempted to go buy a cheap harbor freight welder to weld a nut into it, but i would prefer to not have to buy one and also it seems too close to the gas tank.

Might try some better vice grips that would have more grip, and might buy done expensive drill bits to drill the extractor out but not sure either if those will work.

Cutting it flush and drilling it out is one option better vice grips could work as well. Heat and soak the bolt with oil as much as you can.

Do you have access to a welder? The way I’ve extracted bolts like that is to clean it as best I can and weld a nut onto the exposed threads. Then use the appropriate sized wrench or socket to remove it.

Cutting it flush and drilling it out is one option better vice grips could work as well. Heat and soak the bolt with oil as much as you can.

Do you have access to a welder? The way I’ve extracted bolts like that is to clean it as best I can and weld a nut onto the exposed threads. Then use the appropriate sized wrench or socket to remove it.
Unfortunately not, I am considering buying a cheap one for this however it worries me being so close to the gas tank.

Unfortunately not, I am considering buying a cheap one for this however it worries me being so close to the gas tank.
Well on a bright note if things go south you won’t have to worry about the bolt........
Soak it in a good penetrating oil. Go get a pair of vise grip pliers that will work for the job. Use some heat, but be Careful not to get the bolt too hot or you may harden it making it very difficult to drill out further.
Can you get some oil on top/inside of the cup? That would really let it soak in if it’s possible.

Reactions: Lax22 and Cheetokps
Well on a bright note if things go south you won’t have to worry about the bolt........
Soak it in a good penetrating oil. Go get a pair of vise grip pliers that will work for the job. Use some heat, but be Careful not to get the bolt too hot or you may harden it making it very difficult to drill out further.
Can you get some oil on top/inside of the cup? That would really let it soak in if it’s possible.
I sprayed a bunch of kroil in the top of the cup last night but there’s so much dirt in there idk if it’s getting to the bolt. I tried scraping it out with a screwdriver and blasting it with air but there’s still a lot.

The big vice grips that I was seeing look like they would only work for bigger bolts not something smaller like this bolt, so I’m not sure I could get any better than the ones I have

Broke the bolt on the other side too. Picked up some vice grips i have to try out after work and have it soaking in kroil but don’t have a lot of hope it will work. Also got some cobalt drill bits that I might try drilling the bolts out with

Broke the bolt on the other side too. Picked up some vice grips i have to try out after work and have it soaking in kroil but don’t have a lot of hope it will work. Also got some cobalt drill bits that I might try drilling the bolts out with
The 5 dollar cobalt or the 125 dollar carbide ones? It makes a difference

Drill it out. It is just plain steel - you'll be through it in no time. Just remember to work your way up to the correct diameter. It is easy to get in there crooked

Reactions: Tob
Drill it out. It is just plain steel - you'll be through it in no time. Just remember to work your way up to the correct diameter. It is easy to get in there crooked
I bought one of those drill guide things which might help keeping it straight hopefully

My suggestion for drilling out broken bolts is to start with about a 3/16" "pilot" hole. Try to get this one as close to center and straight as possible, then, depending on bolt diameter, finish with one or two larger sizes. If you take too small of steps you'll keep breaking drill bits.

Reactions: Tob and Cheetokps
My suggestion for drilling out broken bolts is to start with about a 3/16" "pilot" hole. Try to get this one as close to center and straight as possible, then, depending on bolt diameter, finish with one or two larger sizes. If you take too small of steps you'll keep breaking drill bits.
I think it’s a 10mm bolt. I broke a bolt extractor off inside one of the bolts, so I might grind down the part of the bolt sticking out as much as I can first so there’s less material to drill through

• Sad
Reactions: matkal
I think it’s a 10mm bolt. I broke a bolt extractor off inside one of the bolts, so I might grind down the part of the bolt sticking out as much as I can first so there’s less material to drill through
This is why I never use bolt extractors, you cannot drill through them. IDK if or how you get them out.
I'm not familiar with the bump stops to know if there's a way around this.

Reactions: P man
This is why I never use bolt extractors, you cannot drill through them. IDK if or how you get them out.
I'm not familiar with the bump stops to know if there's a way around this.
Yeah I’m kind of mad at myself because after I broke one off in my tailgate hinge I swore to never use them again. At least it’s a small one so hopefully these cobalt bits are good enough

Yeah I’m kind of mad at myself because after I broke one off in my tailgate hinge I swore to never use them again. At least it’s a small one so hopefully these cobalt bits are good enough
Maybe go nuclear and drill a series of small holes around it??? Ask Google how to remove a broken "easy"out??