Broken driveshaft bolts

Boomer453

TJ Enthusiast
U joint gave out and lost my rear driveshaft. I have a new driveshaft but the u joint retaing bolts at the rear diff sheared off and I'm not confident I can ez out them loose.
Can I remove/replace the u joint carrier at the rear diff?

In the middle of moving and could use some advice in a hurry. Thanks

I had a similar problem a couple months ago. I tried ordering a replacement shaft but it didn't fit.

The BEST advice I got was to take the shaft to a local driveline shop and have it rebuilt. The place I took it charged me $120, rebalanced it, repainted it, made sure everything was strong and tight, put in new Spicer u-joints, and they had it back to me the same day.

I imagine the same kind of shop can fix the rear diff carrier as well.

You can replace that yoke , but you need a new or used yoke, pinion seal and crush sleeve, takes having tools to do it. You can follow procedure in manual.
I would put it in 4 wheel drive and take it to a shop that has tools to back out those sheard off bolts if your not good at back outs. Good luck !

Reactions: AndyG
You can replace that yoke , but you need a new or used yoke, pinion seal and crush sleeve, takes having tools to do it.
Are you sure about that? Seems as if installing a new yoke and seal, and torquing the pinion nut to the appropriate rotating torque (measured in inch-pounds) would do it.

Reactions: MichaelGH and JMT
Are you sure about that? Seems as if installing a new yoke and seal, and torquing the pinion nut to the appropriate rotating torque (measured in inch-pounds) would do it.

There’s an exact guide to this in the FSM. Multiple threads on it as well.

You can, and I believe the spinning torque isn’t even with the axles out. In general, it would still be easier if someone could get them out, and save the yoke.

Reactions: hear and JMT
Unfortunately I have to get it done today.closing the sale of our existing home today and moving 3hrs away on Friday.

My plan is to swap yokes, I'll index the yoke location and measure the amount of exposed thread on the existing yoke before removal. I'll set the new yoke to the same seating depth that way I'm not moving the crush washer.

I know it's not ideal.

If you are going with the approach of measuring the exposed threads; I would take that measurement one step further and measure with a depth micrometer so you get as close the exact crush and torque as it is presently....
Doing a visual or measuring with a ruler is NOT going to get you close enough....

Just curious, is it possible to drill these out, and use U joint straps instead of bolts, rather than mess with the yoke? Sounds like you are probably moving ahead, but in an emergency?

Or just leave off the driveshaft...put it in 4x4 high and drive it on the front axle.

Or rent a trailer.

You have options. I break more shit when under pressure.

-Mac

yep. i drove for 3 weeks without a rear driveshaft when life got in the way. multiple trips over 3 hours during that time span. i wasn’t gonna break more shit rushing to get it done so i waited until i had adequate time to get what needed to get done to get my rear driveshaft back in.

i’d wait and not rush it

You should replace the yoke. Even if you get the bolts out the yoke is likely damaged/distorted which will cause the joint in the new shaft to wear out prematurely. More on that in the video embedded in the bottom of this page https://4xshaft.com/blogs/faq/why-do-i-keep-wearing-out-and-or-breaking-u-joints

Also, as others have said, you can remove the rear shaft and drive in 4WD on the front shaft, you'll basically have a front wheel drive Jeep. Just make sure that front shaft is in good condition first.

Update to this
1. Measure depth of exposed thread on existing yoke at 6:00 position- 4.7mm
2. Removed yoke and compared to new yoke, new yoke was .5mm shorter from bottom to washer seat
3. Installed new yoke and set exposed thread at .52 to account for shorter yoke
4. Installed and greased new drive shaft- couldn't get one with non-greasable u joints.

Everything works fine No issues noted

1 extra thing-bought the Dewalt 20v 1/2 drive impact wrench to remove the nut on the yoke. This things a beast, 1400 ft/lbs of breaking torque and 1060 ft/lbs of torque tightening torque. We'll worth the price if admission.