Built Not Bought

billiebob

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
60300326_10215253690276322_4902057749308768256_n.jpg

Facts are facts.

There are so many guys that love to say "Built not Bought" but I'm not even sure where buying ends and building starts. In order to built anything you have to get parts somehow. I don't know of anyone that can make an axle shaft or a piston in their garage. Maybe they're just stealing the parts?

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01 and jjvw
My rear camera mount is built, not bought. And probably stolen from a waitress. Though I bought the camera, because I don't know how to make one like that. :)
20190226_201958.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01 and DrDmoney
I’ve had unit bearings an u-joints in my garage for almost 2 months ready to install... I feel you.

Yep, you know the struggle then.

It can take me 3-4 months to get around to a simple project these days. Not because I'm lazy, but because if I were to just go out in the garage and spend 4-5 hours installing something, my wife would kill me.

I don't blame her though. Leaving her alone with 3 little kids isn't fair.

Here's my take...
View attachment 93993
Very few have the skills to engineer most parts on a Jeep. And some things are best left to an expert to install. (Expert = someone with more experience, tools and time than you have)
Pretty much nailed it. I'm surprised by how many folks who use the fact that they can poorly use a welder as something to look down their nose at other Jeep owners with. Buy it, build it, mine the ore to smelt your own steel, I don't really care. Just go have fun with whatever it is you can do.

Last edited:

It can take me 3-4 months to get around to a simple project these days. Not because I'm lazy, but because if I were to just go out in the garage and spend 4-5 hours installing something, my wife would kill me.

We are calling it at 2 for everyone’s sanity 😅🤣

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I might cease to exist at that point :ROFLMAO:
Nothing changes after 3. This is because the older one’s help out. Everyone gets responsibility and everyone works together. It’s teamwork and it’s good because everyone has to grow up.

Reactions: Chris
on the subject of built not bought check this out. I've built motorcycles from the ground up, including the frame but this guy just blows my mind! Different subject matter but I'm sure the gear heads on here can appreciate the work involved.

When you see the first few pics you might be inclined to think no big deal, he just restored and reassembled the engine, nope, he MADE the engine, literally every component of it!

http://flashbackfab.com/excelsior-homepage/

Reactions: TJ Starting
We only intended to have two, but accidentally had a third.

That being said, I got fixed shortly thereafter.

No way we are having four. Life was much easier when we had two, not so much now that we're outnumbered.
Haha! so the 3rd one was an accident? and documented proof of you saying it... better delete this before the 3rd learns to read! :p

• Haha
Reactions: Chris and JMT

Nap time and after 8-9pm is my build time. Using the air tools or grinder is always a gamble. Luckily the baby is a heavy sleeper.

Reactions: TJ Starting and JMT
We only intended to have two, but accidentally had a third.

That being said, I got fixed shortly thereafter.

No way we are having four. Life was much easier when we had two, not so much now that we're outnumbered.
This is the exact point that the wife and I can't agree on. She thinks 3 would be nice but in the same sentence says how we would need a minivan or some other 3rd row car and how another bedroom in the house would be nice.

3 seems really expensive. I can't even imagine 5 @JMT. Costco must be your second home.

This is the exact point that the wife and I can't agree on. She thinks 3 would be nice but in the same sentence says how we would need a minivan or some other 3rd row car and how another bedroom in the house would be nice.

3 seems really expensive. I can't even imagine 5 @JMT. Costco must be your second home.
Yes! I have 3 teenagers and have found that 3 rows of seats is a must "you gotta keep em separated!!!" Makes for much less squabbling, hitting and yelling on longer than usual trips. Of course my youngest is a boy with 2 older sisters. That boy lives to antagonize his sisters,,, he is the epitome of the younger brother. Some days, I just tell the girls to go beat him up, which they take great joy in accomplishing.

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01