Bump steer / wobble

Well just an update, I got my new pitman arm in and I was able to get my drive link portion off, but couldn't get the nut off of where the arm connects to the steering box. I have a big ass adjustable wrench on it and just couldn't get enough nut into it for it to turn. Gonna try getting a pipe to help it? Any other suggestions? Would it be worth it to invest in a harbor freight nut and breaker bar for it so I don't round it off?

Well just an update, I got my new pitman arm in and I was able to get my drive link portion off, but couldn't get the nut off of where the arm connects to the steering box. I have a big ass adjustable wrench on it and just couldn't get enough nut into it for it to turn. Gonna try getting a pipe to help it? Any other suggestions? Would it be worth it to invest in a harbor freight nut and breaker bar for it so I don't round it off?
4ft breaker bar and an impact socket of the proper size 👍
I like breaker bars with slim handles so I can put a pipe on the end if I need more leverage

You need the correct socket so you can torque the new one on. also, I hope you have a pitman arm puller.

Alright my peeps, went to harbor freight and $30 later, I should be able to get this thing off. I don't think i'll need to do it again since, from what i've seen, I should be running a stock pitman arm even if I wanted to do a 4" lift. Would this be right?

EDIT: I'm grabbing some beers and going to try and get this sucker off and on. Also I got a flat washer to put under my heilm joint so i'll probably do that too while i'm down there. Let me know if there is anything else I should do!

Alright my peeps, went to harbor freight and $30 later, I should be able to get this thing off. I don't think i'll need to do it again since, from what i've seen, I should be running a stock pitman arm even if I wanted to do a 4" lift. Would this be right?
I've mulled over the lift how to threads quite a bit. I've never seen a drop pitman arm on the list of things required. It seems the tjs pitman arm setup is Goldilocks good for anything up to 4in

I've mulled over the lift how to threads quite a bit. I've never seen a drop pitman arm on the list of things required. It seems the tjs pitman arm setup is Goldilocks good for anything up to 4in

I've looked through pretty much every single thread and every bump steer thread that has to do with a lift 4" and less the first thing they say is to get rid of the drop pitman arm.

Also update: just broke my pitman arm puller looks like its about halfway off, headed to the auto parts store to try and rent one

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
I've looked through pretty much every single thread and every bump steer thread that has to do with a lift 4" and less the first thing they say is to get rid of the drop pitman arm.

Also update: just broke my pitman arm puller looks like its about halfway off, headed to the auto parts store to try and rent one
Bummer about the puller.

Broke another puller that I rented, so I'm two pullers down. Does that seem normal? Are there any tips to doing this other than beating it with a hammer?
If you can get a big pry bar in there and slowly work around the spline and pry it. But that's seems weird. Broke TWO, someone who has more experience may have a better solution for this. I'm not a big fan of getting the BFH out. Because at that point I'm already angry and tend to brake more stuff in the process, so I walk away and come at it with a fresh head.
I might just opt for getting a new steering box if it were mine. Save the headache, unless the tj is your only transportation means, then do what you gotta do brother

If you can get a big pry bar in there and slowly work around the spline and pry it. But that's seems weird. Broke TWO, someone who has more experience may have a better solution for this. I'm not a big fan of getting the BFH out. Because at that point I'm already angry and tend to brake more stuff in the process, so I walk away and come at it with a fresh head.
I might just opt for getting a new steering box if it were mine. Save the headache, unless the tj is your only transportation means, then do what you gotta do brother

Thats kinda where i'm at right now tbh. I'm beating the hell out of this pitman arm with the puller on and tight and it isn't budging. If I hit anything more the neighbors are going to come over and hit the windshield and I'lll probably join them lol. This is the fun machine and I have a truck that can get me where I need, but I'm not that interested in a new steering box. There has to be a way to pop this thing off.

On my 06 Rubicon , I ditched the dropped pitman arm for stock ...the difference was very noticeable. Bumpsteer disappeared .

Thats kinda where i'm at right now tbh. I'm beating the hell out of this pitman arm with the puller on and tight and it isn't budging. If I hit anything more the neighbors are going to come over and hit the windshield and I'lll probably join them lol. This is the fun machine and I have a truck that can get me where I need, but I'm not that interested in a new steering box. There has to be a way to pop this thing off.
You have to use a conical puller from a good company. This one should work.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00061SMS0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: astjp2
Well I ended up busting out the angle grinder and chopping that thing off. It wasn't budging no matter what I did to it. I also scored the splines just a little bit, but it shouldn't hurt anything. New pitman arm is on and it feels like a new jeep on these surface roads around here, bumpsteer is basically gone from what I can feel and it just feels like the whole steering system just feels tight. I'll update more once I get this thing up to some higher speeds and on the freeway but man, that one part seems like a world of difference.

The pitman and track bar need to be absolutely parallel to eliminate bump steer
This is a good post . People get confused due to the bend most track bars have , and don't see that is happening if they even know to look for it .

Most dropped pitman arms are going on out of ignorance , as they are furnished with a lot of lifts as a one size fits all type solution , as the manufacturer is erring on the safe side by providing the part needed for the max lift height .

We hereby curse all dropped pitman arms . They are forged in hell to further ruin the reputation of Jeep handling .

I truly wonder how many people drive terrible handling rigs and just live with it .

I have purchased 2 that were pitiful , and most I drive are bad . The owners just do stuff, they don't even know why it seems. Thanks to the forum , I can get one driving better pretty fast now .

My new steering shaft bearing made my 03 feel like it has car tires, it is so good. I'm really thankful to all you guys.

Broke another puller that I rented, so I'm two pullers down. Does that seem normal? Are there any tips to doing this other than beating it with a hammer?
Do not beat the bolt, put one hammer against one side of the pitman arm and hit the other side with another hammer several times, this will shock the stuck joint loose then a puller should pop it right off. It worked for me yesterday changing my steering damper. I distroyed one pitman arm puller then tried this, when I put second puller on I couldn't believe how easy it came off.