Bump stops look dry rotted off

Srogers71

All of my bump stops seemed to be dry rotted off. I’m not doing anything radical but I am wheeling frequently. Should I replace em immediately? If not what’s worse can happen?

33FFFEDB-B87D-41C9-B301-F0276599FF1F.jpeg

Those are jounce bumpers, not bumpstops. They're designed to slow the contact between your bumpstop (axle pad) and jounce cup (what is holding the jounce bumper). Under load they will squish fully. If your bumpstops are set correctly, you'll hear that metal on metal contact and damage the cup at full stuff in their current condition. You can get replacements from a ZJ at the junkyard

Reactions: Srogers71
Those are jounce bumpers, not bumpstops. They're designed to slow the contact between your bumpstop (axle pad) and jounce cup (what is holding the jounce bumper). Under load they will squish fully. If your bumpstops are set correctly, you'll hear that metal on metal contact and damage the cup at full stuff in their current condition. You can get replacements from a ZJ at the junkyard
Ty, sir.

Did you try supporting the frame with a jack stand and letting the axle droop out? I know I've gotten those things shoved in between the coil before...at least in the rear. The front is probably too tight.

Reactions: JMT
The worst that will happen as is is that you will dent the bump stop cup and feel a harsher hit if you tickle them. Replace them, but it's not an emergency. The things that rotted out were jounces, not bump stops. They just cushion the impact, but even they will fully compress and it will hit the cup eventually anyways (when set correctly). I think you can replace the rears without pulling the springs, but not the fronts.

Reactions: Srogers71