Bumper Ideas: Let's See Them!

Custom Bumper
IMG_8930.jpg

I wanted mine a little shorter but I do have CAD files if you would like to try it out

I cancelled the order for the GenRight front bumper based on comments from Blaine. The Savvy is the better option, but it’s out of stock. My plan is to keep the JCR front and sit on it for a while, at least until the Savvy one eventually comes back in stock. If by that time I decide to keep the JCR front, then so be it.

The JCR rear is going for sure though. I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t want a rear bumper at all, just that GenRight rear bumper plate that I ordered. That will make for a much better breakover angle!

Now you're just copying me for the front :p next you're going to tell me that you're putting some vision X trail lights on there!

Reactions: psrivats and Starrs
I was going to post photos of my Dirtworx, but @PapaWhiskey33 beat me to it...what he said, that's what I got, too. Great bumpers. Here's a couple photos with the fog lights mounted:
View attachment 65665
View attachment 65667
Almost called Robert today to place an order for the same set-up (front and rear). Even went so far as to put them in my "cart". The only hold-up is I still really want to try the bobbed Studebaker curved bumper. I just don't know if that style (the curved bumper) will look good, or be an epic fail. Anyway, the Dirtworx set-up will be my go-to if the Stude bumper doesn't work for me. I really like what Robert produces. Simple, and hell-for-stout. American made. Independent shop. What's not to like?

I started off with a basic Smittybilt SRC Classic bumper. Drilled some holes for KC fog lights and added a RC winch plate.

FSCN2651.jpg

Sold it to a buddy who shortened it into a stubby bumper.

33_zps48b56bc5.jpg

I went with a JCR Dagger winch ready bumper with a prerunner bar. It came with two light tabs on the bar, but instead of re-mounting my fog lights, I put a small light bar on the tabs. I also swapped out steel cable for TRE synthetic line.

303f7fb6-5f94-46e2-aa9a-6ca0c721fd22_zpsqyuribcg.jpg

Reactions: primetime4 and JMT
Thanks to @PapaWhiskey33 and @glwood (who always has my best interest at heart) showing their pics of their Dirtworx bumpers and reminding me of just how much I like them, I just ordered mine (front and rear) from Robert.

It never ends, does it?

What is the procedure for finishing these? I have no experience in painting bare metal.

Thanks to @PapaWhiskey33 and @glwood (who always has my best interest at heart) showing their pics of their Dirtworx bumpers and reminding me of just how much I like them, I just ordered mine (front and rear) from Robert.

It never ends, does it?
Squatch man...quite buying stuff for that jeep and start WORKING on the jeep. You and Chris are almost the same!

Reactions: JMT and Squatch

It never ends, does it?

Woohoo! Guess this was a timely thread for you, happy to help nudge you along :D

What is the procedure for finishing these? I have no experience in painting bare metal.

I didn't have any experience either when I got mine. @glwood has a really good write up which I followed and I couldn't be happier with the results. I think it's mentioned in this thread, but if you do go this route, make sure to test fit everything prior to painting:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/bumper-finish.4700/

Reactions: Squatch
@Squatch you'll be very happy with the Dirtworx. I got mine without the hoops in front (and got a slightly discounted price). They are very WELL built, great welds, really good hitch that is welded through. Wait till you see them in person. I am so happy with mine. I was going to paint them myself but after seeing them, I decided to get them powdercoated. Now I am just waiting on my Jeep back. I think this bumper offers the best tradeoff in terms of looks/cost/build quality/utility.

p.s. Note that there is a lead time since Robert makes them as he gets orders. He is super nice though, and I am sure you are not in a rush :)

Reactions: Squatch
@Squatch you'll be very happy with the Dirtworx. I got mine without the hoops in front (and got a slightly discounted price). They are very WELL built, great welds, really good hitch that is welded through. Wait till you see them in person. I am so happy with mine. I was going to paint them myself but after seeing them, I decided to get them powdercoated. Now I am just waiting on my Jeep back. I think this bumper offers the best tradeoff in terms of looks/cost/build quality/utility.

p.s. Note that there is a lead time since Robert makes them as he gets orders. He is super nice though, and I am sure you are not in a rush :)
Yeeeahhh...not on a real schedule, am I? LOL ;)

Reactions: tomtaylz
Squatch man...quite buying stuff for that jeep and start WORKING on the jeep. You and Chris are almost the same!
LOL Not quite the same, but I get your point, Chief. See, I can acquire the stuff I need without much effort or time invested. The time is something I just don't have at the moment. While it bugs me to some extent, some of you guys seem far more bothered by it than me. Just look at this way, when the day comes where I can jumpstart the project again, I will have everything I need at hand. LOL And I do me everything!!!