Buying first TJ (maybe)

Last one looks like the best of them to me.

The miles though is what freaks us out. Really trying to get something under 100-120k miles. Something that was a weekend car, not a daily driver.

These are tall asks, I'm aware.
120k is firstly low for at least a 16 year old car. Also, something with that low of miles is likely to not have been as kept up with maintenance because it wasn’t driven a lot, but I’ll keep looking. What’s your budget range?

I am like you, even though these 4.0 can go hundreds of thousands of miles I still would want to be 110K or less. I would PM the red rubi (oh half doors!) and see what he says about price. If you don't have enough posts to PM yet ask @Chris if he can give you permission to do so. A couple thousand more for a really good TJ will mean nothing in the next year or so.
True! Thanks so much. Yeah I'll shoot that guy a PM.
I would suggest to up the mileage in your search. I'd rather have a clean 125k mile jeep than a 50k mile jeep with rust on the frame.
The 4.0 is a super reliable engine.
I'll try that. Been thinking the same. I saw the original OP TJ in Athens GA, 62k miles, but had several issues, and the rust through. I'd much rather have double that mileage which a clean black rust free frame.

@TRE3TOP these are very helpful! Love that 46k miles 16k! But it's an automatic. Definitely looking for a manual.

I deleted my Facebook profile several months back in an attempt to go on a social media diet. It's been amazing. But I do realize now how great a resource for the marketplace that might have been.

I'll look through the rest you sent now. Thanks again!

Reactions: TRE3TOP
If you are doing the work yourself, if you are going to pay somebody....not worth it.

I deleted my Facebook profile several months back in an attempt to go on a social media diet. It's been amazing. But I do realize now how great a resource for the marketplace that might have been.
For those of us that refuse to become a member of FB; using their classifieds isn't possible. :cautious:

HARD PASS for 15k… in Georgia that should be about 1/3rd that price.
I'm with @TRE3TOP here. The miles and condition don't match up. This one has been neglected and they're asking a hefty price for it. If it was clean I could see close to that price.

Reactions: TRE3TOP
Reactions: Irun
Reactions: la_creme
Great idea.

I will definitely ask for that now before we go out to see it. Very good to know that the 1999 has your blessing of the pre-03.
The one issue I'm aware of with the '99 is a tendency to crack exhaust manifolds. In the area of problems, this one is low on my list of concerns.

The one issue I'm aware of with the '99 is a tendency to crack exhaust manifolds. In the area of problems, this one is low on my list of concerns.
How would I be able to tell this has happened from either visual inspection or a test drive? Or is that something that would prohibit the vehicle from running properly / very obvious in test drive?

How would I be able to tell this has happened from either visual inspection or a test drive? Or is that something that would prohibit the vehicle from running properly / very obvious in test drive?
You’d probably hear it more than see it. You’d hear an exhaust leak hisss/tick.

Reactions: la_creme and Irun