Buying my first jeep

Well that thing was a complete bust. Drove 2.5 hours to look at a stock jeep with small rust on fenders......fenders were loose due to the rust HOLES in the fenders. Not to mention the rust around the windshield, doors, latches, tailgate and bumpers. The worst part was they said frame was spotless...it was ate up and I ran my hand along the bottom of the tub and my hand went thru to carpet and he said oh I didn't know it was like that......my father in law and i left as I was ready to break his jaw for lying to me. I hate a liar, SO found a 99 that's completely been redone with a brand new 4 inch lift, brand new rims and 33x12.50 tires with 20 miles on them for 5k! Score! Pics to come!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and _swede
Well that thing was a complete bust. Drove 2.5 hours to look at a stock jeep with small rust on fenders......fenders were loose due to the rust HOLES in the fenders. Not to mention the rust around the windshield, doors, latches, tailgate and bumpers. The worst part was they said frame was spotless...it was ate up and I ran my hand along the bottom of the tub and my hand went thru to carpet and he said oh I didn't know it was like that......my father in law said Zach get in the truck now before you hit him as I was ready to break his jaw for lying to me. I hate a liar, SO found a 99 that's completely been redone with a brand new 4 inch lift, brand new rims and 33x12.50 tires with 20 miles on them for 5k! Score! Pics to come!
Some people are just loser sh*tbags. At least you found something better!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Well that thing was a complete bust. Drove 2.5 hours to look at a stock jeep with small rust on fenders......fenders were loose due to the rust HOLES in the fenders. Not to mention the rust around the windshield, doors, latches, tailgate and bumpers. The worst part was they said frame was spotless...it was ate up and I ran my hand along the bottom of the tub and my hand went thru to carpet and he said oh I didn't know it was like that......my father in law and i left as I was ready to break his jaw for lying to me. I hate a liar, SO found a 99 that's completely been redone with a brand new 4 inch lift, brand new rims and 33x12.50 tires with 20 miles on them for 5k! Score! Pics to come!

At least you found something better! When you get a chance be sure to post pictures of it in the pictures for him. We look forward to seeing it!

Biggest reason they are so cheap in the east is the rust issue. Be very careful and do your due diligence.

I got the one tonight, only thing it need immediately is steering stabilizer. Suggestions?

I got the one tonight, only thing it need immediately is steering stabilizer. Suggestions?
What makes you think that? Is it behaving poorly on the road? Or is it actually leaking/damaged?

If you have sway bar disconnects, check their bushings for wear and that the hardware is tight. Also check the sway bar bushings in front of the grille. If those are original I'd bet money they need to be replaced (cheap $) and it will fix steering wandering and any tippy, sway feeling.

If it's got bad bump steering, you're right it's probably a stabilizer.

I'm just anticipating your response because I've been down this road also. But let us know the symptoms.

And to answer your question:

ARB OMESD40 Old Man Emu Steering Damper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P9WI66/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Definitely worth the extra few dollars.

Reactions: Chris

Typically the steering stabilizers don't go bad very often. What makes you think it's the steering stabilizer?

Reactions: _swede
It's leaked dry and looks to be the stock one and its got some play in the steering not bad but some

It's got brand new sway bar bushing and everything, honestly most of it is new underneath suspension wise other than the steering stabilizer

Reactions: _swede
If everything is in good shape, tie rod ends, ball joints, tires balanced, bushings etc. A steering stabilizer is not really needed. That said, if it is original and you have significant mileage, like over75k, probably a good idea to change it just for what is designed to do.....help stabilize the steering. Our jeeps do go through front end parts when used like some of us do. Especially with bigger tires. Do a dry steering test and make sure nothing else needs attention.

With that mileage, the first thing I would do, (and this is just me, not a general consensus) would be to replace the 4 ball joints, and probably the front bushings and tie rod ends just to tighten it all up. Not all that expensive if you can do the work yourself. Not that hard and lots of videos around to show you how. Good luck sounds like you got a decent jeep, but remember, the fun is in the knowing how to fix what you are going to break sooner or later. (Again, just my take on jeeping over the 40+ years I have been playing with these things)

jeep day one.jpg

i'll have more pics of it tomorrow

Reactions: Sasquatchewan
That's what I was saying a minute ago, its all new underneath. The steering and stabilizer aren't touched, but when the lift was put on 20 miles ago he gave me receipts for ball joints, sway bar, traction, bushings, alignment and the whole nine. dude put like 1500 in the front end and then bought the pro comp wheels which weren't much and those are brand new mastercraft axt 33x12.50x15 tires, the blue is still on the white letters on the inside

I must have been typing and missed that. I would still do a dry steering test just for shits and giggles. If the ss you have now is leaking and is stock? By all means I would put a new one on. I have always run Rancho but any good brand name will work.

yeah I know I think it was Chris told me to stay away from skyjacker stuff, but i mean if its an extra 30 bucks for top of the line then i'll be getting something good

With that mileage, the first thing I would do, (and this is just me, not a general consensus) would be to replace the 4 ball joints, and probably the front bushings and tie rod ends just to tighten it all up. Not all that expensive if you can do the work yourself. Not that hard and lots of videos around to show you how. Good luck sounds like you got a decent jeep, but remember, the fun is in the knowing how to fix what you are going to break sooner or later. (Again, just my take on jeeping over the 40+ years I have been playing with these things)
Zach, buy several cans of PB Blaster for your garage. :D