California to have highest gas prices in nation when new gas tax kicks in July 1

Don't you live in a state where you can't be trusted to pump your own gas?

Which absolutely sucks when their pumps click off early. I kept telling the poor guy about 5 times "it's not full, keep going until it won't take anymore." After that, I jumped out and started filling before they could get to me.

Which absolutely sucks when their pumps click off early. I kept telling the poor guy about 5 times "it's not full, keep going until it won't take anymore." After that, I jumped out and started filling before they could get to me.

I'm sorry you had to endure that misery that is Oregon and it's stupid gas station attendants. I've been in that situation before, where I kept having to tell him to fill turn it back on after it clicked off.

I have a rule. If it takes them more than one-minute to start filling my tank, I get out and pump it myself.

A close friend of mine is a sheriff around here, and I was asking him if this actually illegal or not (since in Oregon you aren't allowed to pump your own gas). He informed me that while technically you aren't allowed to pump your own gas, there is no actual "enforceable law" that would make it so a police officer could arrest you or ticket you. He said that would only be possible in the instance that you caused damage or something along those lines.

Anyways, whenever it takes more than a minute now, I get out and pump my own gas.

A few times I've had the attendants say something along the lines of, "Sir, you're not allowed to do that!", to which I always respond, "Buddy, I'm just trying to make your job easier, don't sweat it.".

However, more often than not I've found they don't even care when I do it. I mean come on, if someone was paying you minimum wage to pump gas, you can't tell me you'd be super concerned about taking your job too seriously.

I'm sorry you had to endure that misery that is Oregon and it's stupid gas station attendants. I've been in that situation before, where I kept having to tell him to fill turn it back on after it clicked off.

I have a rule. If it takes them more than one-minute to start filling my tank, I get out and pump it myself.

A close friend of mine is a sheriff around here, and I was asking him if this actually illegal or not (since in Oregon you aren't allowed to pump your own gas). He informed me that while technically you aren't allowed to pump your own gas, there is no actual "enforceable law" that would make it so a police officer could arrest you or ticket you. He said that would only be possible in the instance that you caused damage or something along those lines.

Anyways, whenever it takes more than a minute now, I get out and pump my own gas.

A few times I've had the attendants say something along the lines of, "Sir, you're not allowed to do that!", to which I always respond, "Buddy, I'm just trying to make your job easier, don't sweat it.".

However, more often than not I've found they don't even care when I do it. I mean come on, if someone was paying you minimum wage to pump gas, you can't tell me you'd be super concerned about taking your job too seriously.

It really wasn't too bad. I'd like to come back to the area some time and check out the ocean and mountains.

Reactions: Chris
Headline is "California to have highest gas prices in the nation when new gas tax kicks in July 1."

Doesn't California already has the highest gas prices in the nation?

When you finally read the article all it talks about is how we should start taxing refineries. I suspect taxing refineries would lead to them charging more for the gas so we'd still be paying the tax at the pump. What difference does it make if the six cents is in the tax section listed on the pump or the fuel cost from the refinery?

I think it's interesting that the TJ was introduced about the same time gas prices were at a historical low after almost 20 years of falling prices at the pump.

https://inflationdata.com/articles/inflation-adjusted-prices/inflation-adjusted-gasoline-prices/

I live in northern Nevada a lot of them are moving here bringing those crazy idea and trying to pass laws like California. Trying to mess with gun laws and shit. If they left because they hated it, isn’t that the definition of insanity?

More Oregon strangeness - the DMV will make you take the written test to get a driver license. Doesn't matter if you have one already from another state.

I live in northern Nevada a lot of them are moving here bringing those crazy idea and trying to pass laws like California. Trying to mess with gun laws and shit. If they left because they hated it, isn’t that the definition of insanity?
Maybe the gun laws are changing in Arizona because one of your government officials was shot in the head in a supermarket and not because California? Just a thought.

Don't you live in a state where you have to pump your own gas and pay $4.00/gal for the privilege?:)
I do in fact. I would however, pay even more to not endure living in a state where I am somehow deemed deficient or just plain too stupid to pump my own fuel. I'm no fan of a whole bunch wrong with this state's policies and laws and I'll be the first to point fingers. Even with all that is wrong, I still get to pump my own fuel and for reasons that matter only to me, that's a deal breaker. I've not considered leaving the state but if they pass a law tomorrow saying I can't pump my own fuel, I'm outta here and with a quickness. I have strong beliefs in certain liberties. Being judged as somehow too stupid to pump my own fuel and then be reminded of that as often as I need to use a gas station is not something I will tolerate.

When I head to the desert, I pull the diesel tow rig up to the forward pump, the Jeep on the trailer winds up perfectly spaced at the first pump. I start the diesel going in, go back and fill the Jeep with fuel, fill the 4 7 gallon fuel jugs, and then walk back and top off the diesel tank since it has just about clicked off by now. I'd probably go to prison if I tried that in some nanny state that doesn't trust their citizens to pump fuel for themselves.

Reactions: lindsey97
Don't you live in a state where you have to pump your own gas and pay $4.00/gal for the privilege?:)

:LOL: An Oregonian commenting about the wackiness of California? You gotta be kidding me. Have you been to Portland? You are California light and swiftly moving to a peer.

Don't blame ex-Californians. Blame your complacency. ;)

CA voters had a chance to rid themselves of the tax but chose not to in the last election cycle. So "we" have nobody to blame but ourselves.
The shenanigans around that repeal and the way it was worded should have seriously resulted in several hearty kicks to the taints of all the lying sacks of shit involved.

Not only was it worded in the bullshit say yes if you mean no that is typical of those types of measures, the question was disingenuous. Had the question been "do you want to pay more taxes on fuel, higher vehicle registrations with no guarantee that the funds can only be used on the roads?" the answer would have been a resounding NO. Instead they asked if everyone wanted shitty and shittier roads and highways and they put up a bunch of bleeding heart commercials.

Vote to keep the gas tax with a bunch of fire fighters and ambulance jockeys saying if they didn't keep the tax, then the roads would be so bad that they couldn't come and put out your house fire or save your drowning baby.

There is still no guarantee of fund distribution and no legal assurance that the funds HAVE to be used to fix the roads. Not to mention they have done similar type measures in the past and didn't use the funds to fix the roads.

Reactions: Bill M.
That's a conundrum I've never been able to get my head around. Hey, lets all sneak across the border to the US since it is so much better than where we live now. While we are there, lets wave the flag of our shithole country around to show how proud we are to live in better place whilst turning it into a copy of the shithole we left. Makes no sense to me.

You should look up the law. They don't punish you.

I do in fact. I would however, pay even more to not endure living in a state where I am somehow deemed deficient or just plain too stupid to pump my own fuel. I'm no fan of a whole bunch wrong with this state's policies and laws and I'll be the first to point fingers. Even with all that is wrong, I still get to pump my own fuel and for reasons that matter only to me, that's a deal breaker. I've not considered leaving the state but if they pass a law tomorrow saying I can't pump my own fuel, I'm outta here and with a quickness. I have strong beliefs in certain liberties. Being judged as somehow too stupid to pump my own fuel and then be reminded of that as often as I need to use a gas station is not something I will tolerate.

When I head to the desert, I pull the diesel tow rig up to the forward pump, the Jeep on the trailer winds up perfectly spaced at the first pump. I start the diesel going in, go back and fill the Jeep with fuel, fill the 4 7 gallon fuel jugs, and then walk back and top off the diesel tank since it has just about clicked off by now. I'd probably go to prison if I tried that in some nanny state that doesn't trust their citizens to pump fuel for themselves.
Glad to hear you are not going to be moving to Oregon because you like to pump your gas. Please pass the word to your fellow Californians that they should never move to Oregon because people in Oregon don't have to pump their own gas and still pay less for their gas.

Glad to hear you are not going to be moving to Oregon because you like to pump your gas. Please pass the word to your fellow Californians that they should never move to Oregon because people in Oregon don't have to pump their own gas and still pay less for their gas.
Lol when you put it that way it does sound like a good deal.

at least they are not totally on the dole...they have to show up to work, be there and pay taxes on what they make, that is more that I can say about my step son

• Haha
Reactions: Chris