Calling all electrical experts

dylansalrin

Orthopedic Circulator
Supporting Member
I just ordered a new stereo head unit that has a big display and comes with a backup camera. I dont want to mount it behind me as I will never use it so instead I want to mount it right under my front bumper facing the front so I can use it on dry off roading trips to see any obstacles i might miss front a drivers perspective. A guy did this already and here is the forum. Front facing CAM

However I have NO IDEA how I should wire this because it is only meant to turn on when I am reversing, (I have a 5 speed manual btw) but I do not want to tie it into reversing. Should I instead use that wire that would go to the reverse to go to a rocker switch on my dash? So it will come on when I want it to? Maybe Im way over my head. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I just ordered a new stereo head unit that has a big display and comes with a backup camera. I dont want to mount it behind me as I will never use it so instead I want to mount it right under my front bumper facing the front so I can use it on dry off roading trips to see any obstacles i might miss front a drivers perspective. A guy did this already and here is the forum. http://*****************/forum/f9/front-mounted-camera-1036713/

However I have NO IDEA how I should wire this because it is only meant to turn on when I am reversing, (I have a 5 speed manual btw) but I do not want to tie it into reversing. Should I instead use that wire that would go to the reverse to go to a rocker switch on my dash? So it will come on when I want it to? Maybe Im way over my head. Thanks in advance!

It sounds like your headed in the right direction. Rather then conecting to the reverse switch you should be able to do what you want.

Post a pic of the wiring diagram if you can.

I have found a couple images, I included the super basic one to show that it is only one wire I need to tap into for power, however would I need a relay or fuse? Im guessing the camera has something already like that since it requires nothing for its intended purpose. My question would be, which of the three wires coming from a rocker switch would go to the power and then what should I do with the other two coming from the rocker switch. Sorry if this sounds very newbish. ha would I connect the negative and positive leads directly to the battery and then the third lead (I think is the fuse wire) would go to the camera power?
rc_circuit.png

They are tapping 12V from the backup lights when engaged so all you would need to do is provide a constant 12V source thru a switch and a ground. There should be a switched 12V spare behind the glovebox that you could use.

They are tapping 12V from the backup lights when engaged so all you would need to do is provide a constant 12V source thru a switch and a ground. There should be a switched 12V spare behind the glovebox that you could use.

Ok that makes sense, would you recommend I use a 40A relay and a 20A fuse? or just put the 20A fuse in that constant 12v source?

It's doubtful the system is drawing more than an amp or two at the most from the reverse light circuit that turns the camera on. No relay is needed for the switched 12 volts you're going to provide it instead of using the reverse light circuit, a 5 amp fuse should be as big as you need.

Reactions: dylansalrin
It's doubtful the system is drawing more than an amp or two at the most from the reverse light circuit that turns the camera on. No relay is needed for the switched 12 volts you're going to provide it instead of using the reverse light circuit, a 5 amp fuse should be as big as you need.

Ok sounds good. Thanks again!!

Reactions: Chris