Cam sensor, crank sensor or both?

Ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner….@sab was correct, 6mm1.0x20!

I couldn’t find a 7 mm bolt and honestly I don’t think that there is such a thing. I think it goes right from 6 to 8 but what do I know.

Metric are like women's dress sizes.

• Haha
Reactions: matkal
Well fu€£, crank no start, it’s never simple is it? While cranking the tach and speedo are motionless for a couple seconds, and then they start to jump around. Speedo going back-and-forth from 0 to 60 and the tack bouncing up and down and then spinning around way past the stop and then going back to zero.

• Sad
Reactions: sab
you got a video of the speedo going crazy? Do you have the OEM speed sensor on the transfer case output or do you have something tricky like a speedo healer in the mix? I can't figure out why the speedo would move if the rear drive shaft isn't moving.

Well, I guess I'm gaining wizard-level skills reading that God-forsaken parts manual, now! 🤣 🤣 🤣

I'm glad you gotter dun!

Well fu€£, crank no start, it’s never simple is it? While cranking the tach and speedo are motionless for a couple seconds, and then they start to jump around. Speedo going back-and-forth from 0 to 60 and the tack bouncing up and down and then spinning around way past the stop and then going back to zero.

That's starting to sound like an electrical problem. Check your battery connections and grounds real well. I think I've read threads on here where really odd things happen with the gauges when a battery connection is "finky."

I can’t post the video but both the tach and speedo do a fast bounce up and down to 5k rpm and 70mph
IMG_0415.jpeg

Edit: standard speedo sensor

That's starting to sound like an electrical problem. Check your battery connections and grounds real well. I think I've read threads on here where really odd things happen with the gauges when a battery connection is "finky."

Yeah and I don’t have a head for electrical problems. I’ll crawl and poke this weekend and if I can’t find it I’ll take it to my mechanic. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Good afternoon from sunny South Florida,

It has been my experience that a p0340 is pcm related on a TJ. The P0344 is most likely camshaft or crankshaft related and p0016 is timing of cam, crank and synchronizers. I have an 03 that we can test the ECM in if you would like to send it into us. The turnaround time is 24-48 hours.

Good afternoon from sunny South Florida,

It has been my experience that a p0340 is pcm related on a TJ. The P0344 is most likely camshaft or crankshaft related and p0016 is timing of cam, crank and synchronizers. I have an 03 that we can test the ECM in if you would like to send it into us. The turnaround time is 24-48 hours.

I am definitely considering that

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I talked to Tony at @Wranglerfix and he walked me through some diagnostic steps to determine whether or not I need to send in my PCM. I checked and cleaned all the related connections; CPS and CPS, PCM, grounds and battery, still crank-no start, so my PCM will be getting an all expenses paid vacation in sunny Florida.

Good news/bad news; Good(?) news is my PCM is fine, talked to Jay at @Wranglerfix , he said he put my PCM in his TJ and it worked just fine. Bad news is back to where I started. Jay gave me some more insight to narrowing down the problem; AutomaticShutdownRelay, Cam pos sensor or wiring/connectors. Jay also said that lacking Mopar sensors, he's heard good things about NAPA Echlin(?) parts.
If its not the ASD relay I'll be handing TJ off to my mechanic as I don't have the patience to track down a wiring issue more than I already have.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Good news/bad news; Good(?) news is my PCM is fine, talked to Jay at @Wranglerfix , he said he put my PCM in his TJ and it worked just fine. Bad news is back to where I started. Jay gave me some more insight to narrowing down the problem; AutomaticShutdownRelay, Cam pos sensor or wiring/connectors. Jay also said that lacking Mopar sensors, he's heard good things about NAPA Echlin(?) parts.
If its not the ASD relay I'll be handing TJ off to my mechanic as I don't have the patience to track down a wiring issue more than I already have.

I may have already said it in this thread, but I've never opened up a TJ harness and NOT found an issue. But the highest ROI for your effort is to just look at the wiring right at all the sensor connectors. Seems like the insulation is always pulled back & wires twisted. That's enough to make it not start. You won't even have to remove any wire loom to look.

I may have already said it in this thread, but I've never opened up a TJ harness and NOT found an issue. But the highest ROI for your effort is to just look at the wiring right at all the sensor connectors. Seems like the insulation is always pulled back & wires twisted. That's enough to make it not start. You won't even have to remove any wire loom to look.

That's what I did, the low hanging fruit and that is the extent of my patience with tracking down wiring issues. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: hear