Cam sensor, crank sensor or both?

I got it from the local Chrysler dealership
Even new Mopar sensors can fail. My '97 TJ's oil pressure sensor died within a year of buying that TJ brand-new. It failed out in the middle of the desert on a long lonely unlit desert road near midnight and it pretty much freaked me out. I wasn't aware then of their tendency to fail.

Dropped and lost the bolt holding the CPS, anyone know the size: dia and length? Diameter is easy but I don't know the length. I looked in the FSM/Parts manual and am having difficulty navigating.

Dropped and lost the bolt holding the CPS, anyone know the size: dia and length? Diameter is easy but I don't know the length. I looked in the FSM/Parts manual and am having difficulty navigating.

Isn’t there two bolts? Can you take the other one out to match it up as close as you can at ace?

Did a little research on Google and those bolts might properly align the sensor and be very specific to the vehicle.

Might be 1/4-20 but also seeing some claims of 7mm.

-Mac

IMG_0400.jpeg

I was wondering about that. I’ll stop at the dealership and ask there

I don't think there's anything special about those, but I also can't help with thread specs or length. Sorry!

No idea if it changed over the years, but I have the trans out of my 97 right now, so I can try to figure out the size off my bolts.

Reactions: matkal
@hear's post caused me to re-read the one of yours that he referenced, @matkal. I didn't think the manual would list the specs on the screw, but it actually does. I found it in the 2004 service manual. It's part number 6501957, and it's an M6-1.00 x 20mm. It's on Fig. 008-610, which is on pdf page 102:

1709221857808.png

@hear's post caused me to re-read the one of yours that he referenced, @matkal. I didn't think the manual would list the specs on the screw, but it actually does. I found it in the 2004 service manual. It's part number 6501957, and it's an M6-1.00 x 20mm. It's on Fig. 008-610, which is on pdf page 102:

View attachment 505385

Well shit. I’ll grab a 6mm and a 7mm and see which one fits.
I appreciate your ability to navigate the FSM😂 I apparently have some kind of disability when it comes to “reading “ the fsm. lol

Reactions: sab
Well shit. I’ll grab a 6mm and a 7mm and see which one fits.
I appreciate your ability to navigate the FSM😂 I apparently have some kind of disability when it comes to “reading “ the fsm. lol

If I'm reading the manual correctly (and I may not be - those manuals are not the easiest to decipher), I think the 7mm is for the manual transmission.

Edited to add: Please post whether it's the M6 or M7 for future readers...

Dealer said 7mm -1.0x25 regular bolt.

It wouldn't be the first time a dealer steered a feller wrong, unfortunately. The guy reading the parts page doesn't have any magic ability, either. 🤣

If I'm reading the manual correctly (and I may not be - those manuals are not the easiest to decipher), I think the 7mm is for the manual transmission.

Edited to add: Please post whether it's the M6 or M7 for future readers...

OF COURSE the manual uses a different screw than the automatic.

And there's a year break or two or three in there... probably when the AX-15/32re was ditched.

-Mac

Im still trying to figure out why they had to move it to the passenger side on the manual, and then even so why the pinout changes across the different transmission types in 03-05.

Im still trying to figure out why they had to move it to the passenger side on the manual, and then even so why the pinout changes across the different transmission types in 03-05.

Having worked in the vehicle industry as a design engineer, there are many reasons I can speculate on, but that's irrelevant. It is what it is, and only a Chrysler engineer that worked on those components can answer definitively.

Ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner….@sab was correct, 6mm1.0x20!

I couldn’t find a 7 mm bolt and honestly I don’t think that there is such a thing. I think it goes right from 6 to 8 but what do I know.