Camshaft Position Sensor

Kenwood

Been chasing this gremlin for quite a while on a 2006 Unlimited Rubicon.....Code P0344 occassionally, here lately when it is cold, hits 2500 RPM's and goes into limp mode. Today it took a while to get it started. Got home and remembered that I have a spare camshaft position sensor. Put the paper gasket on the end of the new sensor and then took the old sensor out. Guess what was still on the old sensor? Yep, the paper gasket was never torn off by the flywheel....it had a groove cut in it where the flywheel was hitting it but was still intact. I'm thinking the gasket was the reason I was getting P0344. Will see how it does in the morning. Anyone else ever hear of the gasket not being torn off when starting up?

I never understood the paper gasket thing. I’ve installed many Hall effect sensors without a paper gasket and never had an issue.

I never understood the paper gasket thing. I’ve installed many Hall effect sensors without a paper gasket and never had an issue.
If I remember correctly, DC always had you use the paper spacer with the automatic transmission, due to clearance issues with the flexplate. The manual trans was a none issue.
One of the techs I used to work with was always replacing the sensor after he had a trans out.