Can a transfer case slip after regear?

Moglocker

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Quick question,2002 tj 4.0 32rh,2nd owner,low miles I went to 35s and had a reputable guy remove 3.73 and install 4.56 gears with arb in front.went to Tennessee and locked it in 4low and it felt as if the trans was slipping,from tackoff,it takes off fine in 2wd?anyone have any thoughts? I have the deep pan and trans cooler,runs 150 and sometimes 180 on hiway,I think the 32rh is fine?

Check the ATF level while the engine is running and the transmission is in Neutral. Make sure it's all the way to the full mark. It's better for an automatic transmission to be slightly overfilled than underfilled any at all. I routinely overfill mine by a half-quart or so to prevent it from slipping during climbs.

If it's low add nothing but ATF+4, no other type of ATF is correct in our Wrangler automatic transmissions.

Reactions: Moglocker
Check the ATF level while the engine is running and the transmission is in Neutral. Make sure it's all the way to the full mark. It's better for an automatic transmission to be slightly overfilled than underfilled any at all. I routinely overfill mine by a half-quart or so to prevent it from slipping during climbs.

If it's low add nothing but ATF+4, no other type of ATF is correct in our Wrangler automatic

If it's low add nothing but ATF+4, no other type of ATF is correct in our Wrangler automatic transmissions.

So you have experienced this?,I did change install a new mopar radiator because my dealer found me one,and I wanted to start using its 2 year warranty,it runs great (195 all the way here)but when I checked the trans fluid it was level,I just thought it was too full before,maybe I’ll overfill it some,just weird I’d doing it in 4 low on flat ground.

Quick question,2002 tj 4.0 32rh,2nd owner,low miles I went to 35s and had a reputable guy remove 3.73 and install 4.56 gears with arb in front.went to Tennessee and locked it in 4low and it felt as if the trans was slipping,from tackoff,it takes off fine in 2wd?anyone have any thoughts? I have the deep pan and trans cooler,runs 150 and sometimes 180 on hiway,I think the 32rh is fine?
Define slipping for us.

Define slipping for us.
Ok definitely not the transmission,in front of the house taking off in 4low engine races and after a brief pause it will start to move,4hi takes right off when you let off the brake?this never did this last time I locked 4lo with the stock 3.73 gears,it’s weird.thanks

Ok definitely not the transmission,in front of the house taking off in 4low engine races and after a brief pause it will start to move,4hi takes right off when you let off the brake?this never did this last time I locked 4lo with the stock 3.73 gears,it’s weird.thanks
4low vs 4 high and you have deeper gears now. It takes a bit longer to wind up the torque converter with low gears. You now need a higher rpm to do what you used to do.