Can I get a redo for today please?

Good on ya dad! I applaud how you care for your family!

That clutch looks like hell! Makes you wonder if it was a cheap parts issue to start with. Seems to me that quality stuff would have lasted much longer.

That’s a problem with some auto repair shops, they use sub-quality parts to up their profits.

Hope everything goes well putting it back together, and again, good job dad!

Ugh, that thing is shredded!!

You’re the man though, I hope when my 5 year old daughter gets to that age I’m as awesome a dad as you are.

Are you going with OEM parts?

Edit: and one more thing - is pulling the motor a normal thing for a clutch on these? I never touched a Subi in my life, don’t know anything about them.

Reactions: Wildman
Anyone want to GUESS what the gap on this plug is? I mean damn I know some rigs have a larger gap but this is crazy.

20201205_192458.jpg

20201205_192503.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Rick Flair
Yikes. I’d be pissed about all that and the prior shop doing work. WTF.

Gives mechanics a worse rep than they have. Shady fucks.

I’m not a huge subi fan. The oil leak from the valve cover is normal. The rest is not.

Reactions: Wildman
Wow, you had quite a few days! It can be frustrating at first and unexpected. I try to look at the positives. You are there to help out, your daughter is safe, you have friends that can help out, and you found a lot of issues and able to fix them before it ended up worse.

Gapped wrong or worn?

Worn and all 4 plugs look like this. It just give a hint to the quality of work that this shop was putting out because it supposedly had a tune up within the past 18 months and it wasn't driven a lot.

Wow, you had quite a few days! It can be frustrating at first and unexpected. I try to look at the positives. You are there to help out, your daughter is safe, you have friends that can help out, and you found a lot of issues and able to fix them before it ended up worse.

Yes the neighbor whos shop I'm using was like it'll be easier to fix this stuff now. Doing the rack with the engine out is a lot easier than doing it when the engine is in place. Heck even changing the spark plugs is easier with the engine out. And the same really applies to the valve cover gaskets.

I'm happy to do all the work becasue it needs to be done and this way she might get 4-8 more years out of the car. I'm more pissed because my sister was trusting this shop to do the work for her and I'm not sure how much was really being done. And the owner or manager, I'm not sure which was a member of her church which was how she had found the shop. I hate shops that don't do quality work and that are dishonest to their customers.

Very frustrating. I fell into the rabbit hole again of You Tube, and came across Precision Transmissions. Transmission after transmission that are 'rebuit' are trash. Really eye opening.

Now the funny/fun part is that I got the clutch kit at Auto Zone. I had to get the kit with flywheel due to haw damaged it was.

Now the funny part. It has a life time warranty on it.....?? How can a wear item have a lifetime warranty? I'm sure their betting that you'll sell the car before the warranty is up but it's still funny to me.

I knew guys who got lifetime warranties on parts for their 4x4 rigs that they were breaking all the time.
Or when a local alignment shop offered lifetime warranty on the alignment they'd pay the extra $20 for it and bring their rig back in every 3-4 months after knocking it out of alignment.

What year/model subie is that? Does it have a ton of miles? I am about to add the third Subie to the family (getting parents a 2019 outhhouse with only 11K on the clock). My biggest fear is the cvt tranny, that is about $8500 to replace.

What year/model subie is that? Does it have a ton of miles? I am about to add the third Subie to the family (getting parents a 2019 outhhouse with only 11K on the clock). My biggest fear is the cvt tranny, that is about $8500 to replace.

It is a 2002 Subaru Outback with a manual transmission and has 169K on it right now. From my understanding as long as the required maintenance is done to it these things will run a long time. But you have to make sure that the maintenance is performed as required. Things like timing belt and if a turbo model the turbo is replaced at XXX number of miles.

It is a 2002 Subaru Outback with a manual transmission and has 169K on it right now. From my understanding as long as the required maintenance is done to it these things will run a long time. But you have to make sure that the maintenance is performed as required. Things like timing belt and if a turbo model the turbo is replaced at XXX number of miles.
yeah I did the cvt flush and both diffs on my 2016 outback at 60K. SOA says it is lifetime cvt fluid but have heard some horror stories at 100K. Not as easy as a normal tranny but if you follow the service manual it is doable (much easier on my lift) You have to get the cvt up to temp and keep the car running while getting the last quart in there....something I would not want to do laying on my back under it.

Also agree doing the plugs when you had engine out...not the funnest job when done in place..again having the right wobble extensions and wobble spark plug sock made the job doable,

If it isn't one thing it's another on this car. Got ready to replace the thermostat housing and the damn thermostat is broken.....

20201206_100008.jpg

20201206_100018.jpg

I'm like really?? So another trip into town. 🙄

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ