Can I get a redo for today please?

Looks like someone missed a down shift at speed (5th to 2nd). The high shock load will hairball a clutch disc like that. And sometimes take a little bit to completely go. My sister let one of her friends drive an 82 VW Rabbit 2 weeks after I just put a new clutch in it.

Last edited:
I have no idea how I pissed Murphy off. If I can find out who to pay I'll gladly do it.

Engine is back in and it's going together. Neighbor is stopping around 1 PM to watch the Sea Chickens play.

Engine is back in and everything is all hooked up and we've ran it once to let it get warm and get the initial filling of the coolant & power steering. Tomorrow in the morning before I head to my VA appointment I'll help him put the hood on. Then he'll take it out for a test drive and check stuff. Then it'll be all done for a while. Hopefully we got all the leaks fixed.

20201206_115754.jpg

20201206_115815.jpg

Man I am so jealous of my neighbors shop. He's a retired mechanic who is staying busy by doing odd jobs like this and other stuff. He use to race motocross when he was younger and had a nice collection of Ducti & Bultaco bikes. Plus a bunch I couldn't tell you what they were.

The 2 post lift is a great feature. He's been building a house also during all this and had converted the loft area as a living space while he is building his house.

So we finished the car this morning before I had to leave for a appointment with the VA. So she has her car back and tomorrow I'm going to take her driving to see if she's doing anything wrong.
But we did find that the clutch rod for the master cylinder was adjusted improperly.

What kind of hoist is that in there? Is it like a gantry system where it can slide forward and backward?

Just your standard 2 post car lift with the arms that swing out. But it's a heavy duty one I think rated for 9K lbs but I'll have to look again next time I'm down there. The shop was there when he bought the property. The house that use to go with the shop was burnt down during the Taylor Bridge fire in 2013. The neighbor didn't buy the property until 2018 and the previous owner left equipment in the shop. I'd Love to have that shop on my property.

There is also an overhead chain hoist that rolls front to back and side to side.

Well,

Kudo’s to you for watching out for your daughters well being! I’ve got two of them, the first went to UNT about 55 miles from our house - the 2nd went to SFA in Nacogdoches, a near 3 hour east of us. She was my worry relevant to breakdowns. Fortunately we were able to keep her in decent vehicles during her time there, starting with a VW Beetle 2.3 Turbo, and her senior year her getting a Honda CRV. Twice I had to drive to Nac to fix coil-packs or replace the fuel pump; once we had to trailer down there to put the Beetle on a trailer and bring back because of some catastrophic failure that I can’t remember right now what the cause.
And then once she graduated, she turned around and went to Oklahoma City University for her Masters - another 3 hour drive (but at least now she had the CRV).
In the end, the worries of both daughters going to school over an 8 year period were frightful at times considering the roads they had to travel.
Bless you for your efforts!

As for the clutch, as I was reading i knew exactly what was wrong from your 2nd or 3rd post when you said there was very little clutch pedal, that it took full travel to the floor before the clutch dropped out. That first clutch job was not performed correctly, if at all. Adjusting the clutch rod is not an uncommon thing to do as the clutch plate wears if someone doesn’t lay off the clutch pedal (in fact, a properly adjusted and used clutch plate will look as New at 100k or 200k or 500k as it did when new if driven right for all those miles (Unlike brakes which will wear out for drivers who keep their foot on the brake pedal - and the smell is the same for clutches as it is for brakes!).

I’m strongly suspect that for that first so called clutch job that all that was done was adjusting the clutch. Years ago, the City of Dallas began to require auto repair shops to return all replaced parts to the car owner - to prove parts invoiced were indeed replaced (assuming one would know what the parts in the bag were).

Again, Kudo’s to you and Thank You for your service to our country. Hopefully Santa will bring you the mountains of joy you deserve! 😀

Well the saga CONTINUES.......

So Monday my daughter had gone out to brush the snow off her car and go to town to go grocery shopping. So she'd started the car to defrost the windows and warm it up. She comes back inside and tells me that she smelt something burning. So I go out with her to look at it and I can smell the burnt clutch again. So I didn't think to try the clutch then but the guy who'd helped me replace the clutch before came over today. He tried to readjust the clutch pedal rod because it wasn't releasing completely. Then we were gunna take it for a drive.

The clutch is FRIED again. So now a new clutch disc & new master cylinder & slave cylinder to hopefully fix this issue completely.

That’s weird. I can’t imagine what’s causing that. Maybe the throw out arrangement is hanging up somehow and allowing it to slip once the pedal is released.

Or the pressure plate springs aren’t heavy enough. Is it new or rebuilt?

Have you researched online for other owners having similar issues?

I’d be tempted to look for a “racing” clutch in it, one with high spring pressure.

That’s weird. I can’t imagine what’s causing that. Maybe the throw out arrangement is hanging up somehow and allowing it to slip once the pedal is released.

Or the pressure plate springs aren’t heavy enough. Is it new or rebuilt?

Have you researched online for other owners having similar issues?

I’d be tempted to look for a “racing” clutch in it, one with high spring pressure.

Well since this is the 3rd clutch in under 60K miles I think there has to be an issue with this CAR. But I am not sure what it could be.

No I haven't checked on any Subby forums yet. That is my next thing I am doing.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Yeah, it makes me think it’s some kind of design quirk, or maybe there’s only one type of clutch it’ll run, or some other trick to installing or adjusting it. Something like that.

With all the Subaru’s on the road, you know there’s gotta be a way to get it running right.

Yeah, it makes me think it’s some kind of design quirk, or maybe there’s only one type of clutch it’ll run, or some other trick to installing or adjusting it. Something like that.

With all the Subaru’s on the road, you know there’s gotta be a way to get it running right.

Yep just reached out to my son because he was into the tuner crowd . He said he's got a few buddies to talk with.

Well once I can get this into my neighbors shop we plan on replacing all the parts in the clutch system.

Got some replies on the Subaru forum and they feel it might be a bad slave cylinder. So just replace the master at the same time just to CYA.

Yeah, that blows man. I’d honestly be done at this point but your a trooper for sticking to it.

Cars can a be real pita.

Reactions: Wildman
Yeah, that blows man. I’d honestly be done at this point but your a trooper for sticking to it.

Cars can a be real pita.

I'm not gunna buy her another rig so it's fix this one or she walks..... Cause she can't ride her bike in the winter and she isn't driving my truck. She's put 2 dents in it all ready.

imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

imagejpeg_0(2).jpg

Oh fuckin’ yikes! This is going to sound very sexist but women should not drive dually trucks. I’ve never seen one without a ripped off fender that they didn’t cause.

Sorry man, that hurts!!!

And no offense to your daughter. 👍

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
Long story short I was at the shop that is owned by a guy I went to school with, a woman comes in. She says my daughter got her license yesterday, and I wanted you to check her car over. He says is she having any issues with the car? She said no she is a really good driver but she has had three accidents, and I want to make sure the car is only dented up.

I'll have her drop the car off in 30 minutes, and leave it. The guy I went to school with says your Corvette is done, I said thanks I'm heading out, I said I don't want to be number 4.

Hehehe,

It was her first time driving the truck alone and I was picking up my Harley from a buddies house that I loaned it to when I couldn't ride it. So the bike needed fuel so I'd pulled into the AM/PM and was on the left side of the pumps. She'd pulled up behind me and I told her she needed to pull around to the right side of the pumps to fuel up.

I'd just gotten the nozzle into the tank on my bike when I hear this loud CRASH. I walked around to the other side of the other side of the pumps and see my BRAND NEW TRUCK less than 5K miles on it with the bed caved in. She'd hit the cement posts that protect the pumps.

I didn't lose my cool or anything. Just walked over and told her to back up. Got the truck where it could pull up to the pump and went back to my bike.
Now the rest of the story. We get to North Bend and stop for dinner. As we're pulling thru the parking lot I go over a speed bump and my bike dies. Sat there for 3 hours working on it until it was too dark to do anymore. Drove home and came back the next day with my trailer to pick up the bike.

Then had to drive around for 8 weeks with that dent in my truck because the body shop was so busy.