Can I modify Poison Spyder sliders to mount only to tub?

connect the body to the frame with a big plate?
you gotta find an XJ forum site for that mod.

Where is this "Rock Slider Guide" of which you speak? Time to shitcan the PS. Wide open to experienced suggestions.

The only two standout sliders I am aware of are Savvy and the Genright Mini boatside. Almost anything else is about the same as long as it doesn't use the body mounts (like PS) or attach the frame to the tub (like earlier PS). There are a few weird outliers like Nemesis for those who think more is more.

The only two standout sliders I am aware of are Savvy and the Genright Mini boatside. Anything else is about the same as long as it doesn't use the body mounts (like PS) or attach the frame to the tub (like earlier PS).
Yup, I'm in the middle of the long thread on the topic and off to see if both are still available. And crawl under the PS to see exactly how they're mounted (c.2016 I think). I don't expect a lot of rocks but if/when I wanna relax...

Yup, I'm in the middle of the long thread on the topic and off to see if both are still available. And crawl under the PS to see exactly how they're mounted (c.2016 I think). I don't expect a lot of rocks but if/when I wanna relax...
Both are definitely still available.

The problem with body mount mounted sliders isn't just about rock crawling. It's about understanding the way bolted connections work and whether or not you think the body should be properly attached to the frame. PS sliders are bad engineering the similar to the way the JKS body lift is bad engineering.

Reactions: NOTNSUV

The problem with body mount mounted sliders isn't just about rock crawling. It's about understanding the way bolted connections work and whether or not you think the body should be properly attached to the frame. PS sliders are bad engineering the similar to the way the JKS body lift is bad engineering.
Bad news, the PS need to be replaced. Good news, they weren't my mistake.;)

Reactions: jjvw

I'm on the wait list. Asking quantity so I entered 1, assuming it's for the pair at $600+. Good to see the backing plates are included.

Bad news, the PS need to be replaced. Good news, they weren't my mistake.;)
Savvy is the absolute best set of sliders available. Genright Miniboats are very good with it's intentions, but is compromised with the steps and with the inadequate backing plates.

If the two were combined, we would have something very special.

Reactions: psrivats
Savvy is the absolute best set of sliders available. Genright Miniboats are very good with it's intentions, but is compromised with the steps and with the inadequate backing plates.

Yeah, I'm going to have to look more closely at both. I like having a step tho' - my wife is 5'-nothing, and I'm frickin' old. Helps that I dropped 2" tho.
The steps compromise because of the added leverage when on an obstacle? Why the hell would they skimp on backing plates.. rhetorical.
The Savvy step doesn't look much like a step but it's something anyway. Some anti-skid pads might help. Kinda-sorta like the bare look on the website, aluminum?

Yeah, I'm going to have to look more closely at both. I like having a step tho' - my wife is 5'-nothing, and I'm frickin' old. Helps that I dropped 2" tho.
The steps compromise because of the added leverage when on an obstacle? Why the hell would they skimp on backing plates.. rhetorical.
The Savvy step doesn't look much like a step but it's something anyway. Some anti-skid pads might help. Kinda-sorta like the bare look on the website, aluminum?
The Savvy sliders do not have steps. Those are a smallish rub rail to help protect the body and the factory flares a bit.

Steps on tub mounted sliders are dumb because they are too high and not wide enough to be useful as steps. Then you are left with a bulky thing that only gets in the way of climbing into the Jeep and also gets in the way of rocks and trees.

The miniboats are a more aggressive rock rock crawling slider partially crippled by the dumb step that doesn't work as a step.

Why the hell would they skimp on backing plates.. rhetorical.
Rhetorical but the actual understanding of what you are doing when you design a product is not that common. There is a whole bunch of "I saw this on a rig" so we'll make one too. Monkey see, monkey do is a very poor design practice.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
I like having a step tho' - my wife is 5'-nothing, and I'm frickin' old.
I wish more folk would pay attention to how they use the step. I find it odd that one lifts their foot higher to hoist themselves up on the side of their rig and then step DOWN into it, very odd. If a step is going to be actually useful, it needs to be lower than the floorboard you are stepping on when you get in.

The Savvy sliders do not have steps. Those are a smallish rub rail to help protect the body and the factory flares a bit.

Steps on tub mounted sliders are dumb because they are too high and not wide enough to be useful as steps. Then you are left with a bulky thing that only gets in the way of climbing into the Jeep and also gets in the way of rocks and trees.

The miniboats are a more aggressive rock rock crawling slider partially crippled by the dumb step that doesn't work as a step.

Absolutely. Grabbars (or equivalent) make needing a "step" pretty moot .. it is very easy and more natural to get the habit of pulling yourself into the jeep rather than stepping into it. Getting out is never a problem at any height :)

I wish more folk would pay attention to how they use the step. I find it odd that one lifts their foot higher to hoist themselves up on the side of their rig and then step DOWN into it, very odd. If a step is going to be actually useful, it needs to be lower than the floorboard you are stepping on when you get in.

It amazes me how many people miss this entirely. It is easier to put a foot into the tub and just pull yourself in (with a grabbar or such) rather than climbing on a step and then stepping in,

..or it's because the GenRight are welded on steps and the Savvy are 'replaceable'. Nice touch.
The Savvy steel skins are "replaceable" in the event that your wear them out on the rocks. More importantly, the hybrid aluminum/steel structure creates strength while a reducing a small amount of weight.

I have arbs,was looking at the guide (The only weakness is they are not WW2WW.)I love them,but anyone no what this means?

I have arbs,was looking at the guide (The only weakness is they are not WW2WW.)I love them,but anyone no what this means?
Wheel well to wheel well. Full coverage along the body from wheel opening to wheel opening.