Can I run 33’s on my 2005 Jeep Wrangler SE?

We would need to know more specs.

Lift?
Has it been regeared?
Etc.

If it is stock, you will truthfully need/want the following to run 33s:

1. Lift (multiple options between suspension and body)
  2. DANA 44 or a Super35 in the rear
  3. Minimum of adjustable upper rear control arms (someone else can confirm if this is needed with the Super 35)
  4. Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) and a new rear driveshaft (if upgrading to the DANA 44, not sure about with the Super 35)
  5. Regear
  6. Adjustable front trackbar (dependent on lift height)

Lift?
Has it been regeared?
Etc.

3. Minimum of adjustable upper rear control arms (someone else can confirm if this is needed with the Super 35)
  4. Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) and a new rear driveshaft (if upgrading to the DANA 44, not sure about with the Super 35)
  5. Regear

X2. We need more information, especially how much (if any) lift it has.

And use. Is this a grocery getter, an Interstate cruiser, a beach buggy, a rock crawler?
And what kind of performance do you expect.
Putting 33s on an SE is like putting 40s on a Sport.

Lift?
Has it been regeared?
Etc.

5. Regear
No, doesn’t have a lift ... can I use at least 32 inch tires ?

Without a suspension or body lift a 31x10.50 is the largest size that can be run on a TJ. At least if you don't want to have the tires rub.

Last edited:
Can I use 33’s in my Jeep Wrangler SE 2005 manual transmission?

It doesn't matter what transmission you have. You will need a mild lift to clear the 33" tires and according to your needs you may want a lower gear ratio in your differentials.

A cheap two inch suspension lift and a cheap one inch body lift should clear 33s well enough for urban driving and gentle dirt roads. [NOTE: this all is what I understand second hand; I've not been down the SE path.]

The first problem with this approach is your acceleration and top speed will be even more miserable than it is now. Higher gears will help this street drive-ability issue. But if you want to play on rocks or in the mud you will break things faster than folks with other Wrangler trim packages.

If you want the looks of larger tires you can do it cheap as above at the cost of wailing in the dirt. If it's the capabilities larger tires can provide that you are after, you will need to spend some money. Period. The more you want to play the more it will cost to upgrade an SE.

So if you wish to play hard on a budget get more aggressive tires close to stock size. A lot of guys have a heck of a lot of fun with SEs so this can be done. They make great hunting rigs for many situations. If you don't have much cash, buy some tools and find some gear heads to hang out with and lean from.

But if you want to really party off road consider getting a different rig my friend.

Hope this helped — I'm too tired to write any better.

Peace!

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Good video. Many options for a budget TJ. I'm all stock with 33s but I have a HighLine. I figureHighLine is way better than a lift after doing both.

Gearing on an SE is more of an issue than gearing on a 4.0L. But what counts is first gear, do you have enough lift from a stop for the wheeling you do? Once moving, just pick the gear which works. I think the TJ SEcame with 4.10s in the manual, 4.56 in the 4spd automatic. But the smaller the engine, bigger the tire, the less flexibility one has for gearing.

Pretty sure on an SE automatic I'd regear to run 33s. But that is based on lift from a stop and my distrust of a torque converter.

Last edited: