Can I safely tow a 4x8 U-Haul trailer?

bromel

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Need to transport some items/furniture about 100 miles, flat as a pancake (Long Island), and the TJ is my only tow vehicle at the moment. My stock 2000 TJ has a 1.25" receiver with standard wiring. Am considering popping the hard top back on the Jeep and renting the smallest U-Haul (4x8) for the trip. I would keep total tow weight under 1,600 pounds.

Technically it seems OK, but wanted to get honest opinions. I've only towed small boats around town, not much experience towing beyond that in the Wrangler. I'm concerned about less about whether I *can* do it and whether if I *should*.

Am I safe sticking to 55mph, or should I pony up for the U-Haul truck or van (or try to borrow a friend's truck)?

Reactions: JMT
Yes you can.
Mematic_meme_20190322_161953.png

You should be fine, not a problem at all. Just try to load the UHaul correctly so your tongue weight is ~1/10th of the total weight.

If 1600 lbs, then 160lb tongue weight.

Reactions: bucky and bromel
Great, thanks so much for the advice. With my stock TJ on 30" tires, can you suggest the proper rise for the ball mount?

Make sure you have the hard top on--I tried to rent a trailer before and they wouldnt do it because of my soft top. Liability. Claimed it was too dangerous if an accident happened. Unless that was just a uhaul branch that was a bit uptight.

Make sure you have the hard top on--I tried to rent a trailer before and they wouldnt do it because of my soft top. Liability. Claimed it was too dangerous if an accident happened. Unless that was just a uhaul branch that was a bit uptight.

When I went to get my frame, they wouldn't let me get a trailer unless the JKU I was towing with had a hardtop. Apparently it has something to do with rollover accidents.

I tow a 4x8 regularly for picking up mulch or fencing (random stuff) and it does fine. Make sure you put the weight toward the front of the trailer (closet to the hitch). I have 31" tires which measure at 29.75" and I have a 0" drop, but its going to depend more on the trailer tongue.

I ended up purchasing a 5x8 aluminum trailer that I tow with. Uhaul would not rent me a trailer because I only have a soft top. Works great for me. Been driving it around unregistered because of the lockdown but I haven’t got stopped over it yet and I’ve made plenty of trips to Lowe’s with it.
I was strapping stuff to the roll bars before I got the trailer but it got old quick

02B45DB5-6A7E-4AC7-8D89-BD8B98C69CB8.jpeg

622CBD4F-352C-43DA-B397-AE0FA2B3F373.jpeg

3774DA40-A45C-440F-B166-51EC0D2F7DBE.jpeg

YES.
I have a utility trailer for 15 years and never had any issues.
Just do not drive more than 65 mph because stopping is really the concern, it is not the pulling of a load.

If I remember right that size U haul trailer at the coupler was something like 13" maybe 14" from the ground with a level drawbar. I had to get a measurement before I rented it because my pick up is lifted. I'm sure you'll be fine with your ball set around that height,,,gregg

I believe they require a 2" ball as well. Get one ahead of time so they don't charge you 50.00 for one of theirs.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm going to stick on the hardtop and go for it. The U-Haul site says that the optimal ball height is 18.5", and my receiver is about 13.5" off the ground, so I should be set with a 5" hitch rise.

Just know that your 1 14” receiver will only be a Class I or Class II hitch depending on construction.

Class I Is rated for 200 lbs tongue weight with 2000 lbs total.

Class II is rated 350/3500.

This is going to sound like a smart-ass, pot-stirring kind of reply, but it's not. No bullshit and straightforward, well — yes.

Every time I see a towing topic pop up, the answers are mostly from folks showing their own towing set-ups and giving answers that equate to: "I didn't lose control and I didn't kill anyone, so my set-up must be okay."

There's a ton of information regarding towing and it's not hard to find thorough info. TrailerLife.com has an archive reaching back over twenty years of tow ratings. This is the guide for 2000.

I guess it bothers me because I share roads with some tow set-ups that are, at best, questionable and, at worst, a tragedy waiting to happen.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
yep, I do 12K miles a year towing this 5x10, 2000# is the TJ limit, altho the LJ get to legally tow 3500#
I did a Yellowknife to Denver round trip to pick up my Uncles things. 4K miles. All interstate at 75mph.

Good thing about U-Haul, if they don't think you can tow it they won't rent it.

DSC_0003.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomcat
Hey, I'm new here, i recently purchased my dream car(a 2000 Wrangler TJ in mint condition) and I am getting ready to graduate. I am working out west, and I currently reside in Indiana. I was hoping to rent a uhual trailer and tow my stuff out west(the total load of my stuff is around 900 lb-ish). I ordered a highly regarded rear bumper off of extreme terrain since my jeep didn't come with a hitch. Do any of yall with more experience think it would be easier to have Uhaul install a hitch on my jeep or should I stick with the new rear bumper?

Hey, I'm new here, i recently purchased my dream car(a 2000 Wrangler TJ in mint condition) and I am getting ready to graduate. I am working out west, and I currently reside in Indiana. I was hoping to rent a uhual trailer and tow my stuff out west(the total load of my stuff is around 900 lb-ish). I ordered a highly regarded rear bumper off of extreme terrain since my jeep didn't come with a hitch. Do any of yall with more experience think it would be easier to have Uhaul install a hitch on my jeep or should I stick with the new rear bumper?
Frame-mounted hitches are always better for towing, but they kill your ground clearance if that matters to you. I think you should be fine with a high-quality bumper hitch. I've towed the 4x8 trailer with my 2000 TJ with good results. Just make sure you don't exceed 2,000 pounds, and remember that you need the hard top or else U-Haul won't rent to you.

Frame-mounted hitches are always better for towing, but they kill your ground clearance if that matters to you. I think you should be fine with a high-quality bumper hitch. I've towed the 4x8 trailer with my 2000 TJ with good results. Just make sure you don't exceed 2,000 pounds, and remember that you need the hard top or else U-Haul won't rent to you.
1617316401120.png

Thats what i've read in my research. I made sure that the rear bumper I ordered attaches into the frame. I dont plan on loading anywhere near 2000 pounds but thansk for the heads up!

Need to include the weight of the trailer too, in case not thinking about that...not just the weight of the loaded material.