Can I use normal / generic spray paint on the undercarriage of my TJ?

Mora

TJ Enthusiast
So, I'm not really looking to "rustproof" my car. I live in California so I don't really run into rust issues here. I have a good amount of surface rust and I just want to make it look nice (make it look back to its factory form). Can I use something like https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...ective-enamel-spray?ls=7779830&lc=Gloss Black and just spray directly on the rusted parts to cover the rust? I really am only covering parts of the undercarriage that are visible. I could even use something like rust reformer but was wondering if I need to use a top coat of black spray paint to go over that or if I can use the rust reformer and call it a day without top coating with something else. What would be the best thing to do in this case?

So that gloss black paint (the one I linked) shouldn't damage anything/ruin any of the components under the vehicle? That's good to know! Thank you!

No it won't damage anything, but you don't want a gloss color. The frame is satin black, so you want a satin black paint instead (y)

Reactions: Mora
I cleaned up my frame a couple months ago. This is the stuff I used. It looks OEM and has held up well. Just scuff up the finish on the frame so the paint bonds to it.

Do yourself a favor and mask off bolts and around the frame so your undercarriage doesn’t look tacky.
BF5EEBAA-F486-46C4-A9CC-CACD678F2CCB.jpeg
7F13F5F4-CDB8-4B73-B69F-E646EFB3FA53.jpeg
61FCC972-CE76-4CA7-B81E-08884CD8D5BB.jpeg

I cleaned up my frame a couple months ago. This is the stuff I used. It looks OEM and has held up well. Just scuff up the finish on the frame so the paint bonds to it.

Do yourself a favor and mask off bolts and around the frame so your undercarriage doesn’t look tacky.
View attachment 181808View attachment 181812View attachment 181813
Looks great!! Thank you so much for letting me know the product name along with how it looks! How many cans did you end up using?

Can i use one of that hand pumped garden water sprayer to spray atf+bitum inside frame? Can it spray such liquid if i preheat it?

Looks great!! Thank you so much for letting me know the product name along with how it looks! How many cans did you end up using?
Hmmm I think a little over one. That was spraying the middle frame section on each side, the skid, and the side steps. For the whole frame probably three would do it.

View attachment 181813

You need to follow up with some silver paint on all that body mount rust (new pictures will be needed here) then take that show-quality Jeep on a nationwide tour (discounts tickets for forum members are also required).

If I saw a Jeep for sale with a rattle can paint job on the frame I'd suspect that the owner was trying to hide something at first glance. Just my opinion.

I have a California Jeep. Not much more than some surface rust on misc items/rock rash under the body. Body and frame itself are tip-top. If I were to paint anything I'd do it right and properly rust proof. It's on my list to RP-342 the frame at some point in the future but obviously it's not a priority at this point. At least, not 'till I'm ready to pull a Snake Plissken.

Point is, we have the perfect weather right now to do a proper rust proofing. (Is that grammatically correct? LOL) You might as well do the job right, up the resale value to those who know what they are looking at, or prepare for the inevitable California exodus to more tempret climates. (and I don't mean the weather)

Reactions: Mora
You really should brush off the rust. It will last a million times longer and isn't too difficult. If you don't have a power tool of some kind with a wire wheel even a good steel wire brush will work. Those red scotch-brite pads or even the green ones at the 99 cent store are better than nothing. For the frame I would use semi-gloss, satin or flat paint. I've been using rustoleum semi-gloss in a quart can.

rust.jpg

The can is $10 and you could roll the entire frame twice over with one can and there is no overspray. For skids and anything under the Jeep it's really great, I'm over spray for that stuff. I just did my frame in the sections under the skid and an entire belly skid and it looks good. After several coats on the main skid the can is still 1/2 full, I'd have burned through several spray cans. I use the small trim paint rollers. This might not be for everybody but it works well for me.

Reactions: someguysjeep
You need to follow up with some silver paint on all that body mount rust (new pictures will be needed here) then take that show-quality Jeep on a nationwide tour (discounts tickets for forum members are also required).
Ha! I wish it was show quality but this thing is covered in scratches. Kind of what @ejay said. If it was obvious I painted the frame and I went to sell it, it would raise some eyebrows because we’re all a bunch of rust snobs here in the SW and they’ll try and beat you up over the price.

You really should brush off the rust. It will last a million times longer and isn't too difficult. If you don't have a power tool of some kind with a wire wheel even a good steel wire brush will work. Those red scotch-brite pads or even the green ones at the 99 cent store are better than nothing. For the frame I would use semi-gloss, satin or flat paint. I've been using rustoleum semi-gloss in a quart can.

View attachment 181870

The can is $10 and you could roll the entire frame twice over with one can and there is no overspray. For skids and anything under the Jeep it's really great, I'm over spray for that stuff. I just did my frame in the sections under the skid and an entire belly skid and it looks good. After several coats on the main skid the can is still 1/2 full, I'd have burned through several spray cans. I use the small trim paint rollers. This might not be for everybody but it works well for me.
Oh I’ll for sure wirebrush. I have a little already and it’s crazy difference already. Where did you buy the can from? I’m looking at my local Lowe’s and it’s $45

Reactions: pagrey