Can OEM MAP Sensors Measure Positive Pressure / Boost?

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
For those of you who have supercharged or turbocharged your TJ: did you have to replace or upgrade the MAP sensor? Or does it measure positive pressure just as well as negative (vacuum) pressure?

I realize that the PCM would need to be tuned in order to recognize and respond to a positive pressure signal. This is just a question about the sensor itself.

Answer: A new MAP sensor is needed to detect positive pressure. For example, Neon SRT 2-bar MAP sensor.

Last edited:
For those of you who have supercharged or turbocharged your TJ: did you have to replace or upgrade the MAP sensor? Or does it measure positive pressure just as well as negative (vacuum) pressure?

I realize that the PCM would need to be tuned in order to recognize and respond to a positive pressure signal. This is just a question about the sensor itself.

From everything I've read and seen posted about running the stock MAP sensor when using forced induction the answer is no it doesn't perform well. It's a 1 bar sensor and you need a 2 bar sensor. (I hope I got that terminology correct)
People were using a OEM MAP from a vehicle that had forced induction.

Reactions: BlueC and SSTJ
People use Neon SRT 2 bar map sensors for JTEC applications I believe. The rub though is the PCM doesn't have a ton of resolution and you are basically halving it when you rescale it for the 2 bar sensor. It's doable though

Yep I'd heard of people using the SRT-4 and the P/T Cruiser 2 bar MAP.

Reactions: SSTJ
People use Neon SRT 2 bar map sensors for JTEC applications I believe. The rub though is the PCM doesn't have a ton of resolution and you are basically halving it when you rescale it for the 2 bar sensor. It's doable though

This. The stock sensor only reads 1 bar or 14.7 psi (atmospheric pressure). To have the PCM see pressure greater than atmospheric (boost), you need a sensor capable of seeing up to 2 Bar and will need to adjust the signal voltage and table resolution as well.

Reactions: SSTJ
Only issue with that sensor is, who only wants to run 1 bar of boost?

kto-kounotori.gif

Last edited: