Can't locate antifreeze smell

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
I have an 06 TJ that when gets warmed up and while standing in front of it smells of antifreeze. I have had the radiator and water pump replaced. I've had it in 3 different shops trying to locate the smell including the Jeep dealer who gave it a 30 minute pressure test with negative results. One guy told me it's the inefficient recovery system that often gives off the odor. If I had any hair I'd be pulling it out now! Maybe I should wait for a windy day and trade it off!! Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have you noticed a slow loss of coolant from the expansion tank ?
This would indicate a coolant leak.
Inspect the radiator cap, thermostat housing and expansion tank for leaks.

It could very well be that the odor is issuing from the recovery tank. Check the plastic cap for damage I don’t recall if there is a seal or gasket also.
Check and/or replace the radiator cap, clean the sealing surface in the rad filler neck.

I found the absolute tiniest of leaks at the thermostat adapter. It was leaking out onto the belt tensioner pulley, and being dispersed into the air while running and apparently not enough to drop to the ground...

Thanks for the tips guys. It's been two years to the day my radiator was replaced and the coolant level has dropped maybe two inches. I'll keep trying.

No smell inside the Jeep. Only while standing in front of it after it's warmed up. Strongest just after I park it back in the garage. The level in the recovery tank has gone down 2" in two years so can't be much of a leak anywhere. I located a shop with a 4 way sniffer and I'll have them check it. Just hope it's not a cracked head or block.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
The overflow bottle is not sealed and is vented to the outside. When you park it hot, the rad overflows into the overflow tank and air is pushed out.

2" in 2 years is evaporation.

No smell inside the Jeep. Only while standing in front of it after it's warmed up. Strongest just after I park it back in the garage. The level in the recovery tank has gone down 2" in two years so can't be much of a leak anywhere. I located a shop with a 4 way sniffer and I'll have them check it. Just hope it's not a cracked head or block.
Get a look from underneath at the bottom of your water pump above the oil pan to try and spot any stains or droplet's.