Can't shift gears

KA76

Guys looking for advice, I got a 99 sahara 5-speed and just yesterday when trying to shift to second it gave some resistance. Then I couldn't shift to third or any gear for that matter when I pushed the clutch. I ended up having to tow it on the side of the road. When the clutch is pressed it just won't shift to any gear. The clutch still has some spring to it but feels a little looser maybe, definitely has some give to it. Do you think it's the clutch or the transmission is just shot?

My
Guys looking for advice, I got a 99 sahara 5-speed and just yesterday when trying to shift to second it gave some resistance. Then I couldn't shift to third or any gear for that matter when I pushed the clutch. I ended up having to tow it on the side of the road. When the clutch is pressed it just won't shift to any gear. The clutch still has some spring to it but feels a little looser maybe, definitely has some give to it. Do you think it's the clutch or the transmission is just shot?
My 2000 TJ did that and it was the clutch. Didn't go all at once, just slowly got harder to change gears.

Will it change gears with the engine off and not using the clutch?

With the engine off, and with it in first gear, can you roll it forward with the clutch depressed?

Will it change gears with the engine off and not using the clutch?

With the engine off, and with it in first gear, can you roll it forward with the clutch depressed?
You know, I don't think I tried with it off. I was just so glad the tow got there when it did. I was just disgusted with the whole thing. It's only got 90,000 miles on it. I'm the third owner i believe. It's strictly a weekend driver for me. The other two owners either drove it like hell, or I just got bad luck. I'm gonna call tomorrow and see what the damage is.

You know, I don't think I tried with it off. I was just so glad the tow got there when it did. I was just disgusted with the whole thing. It's only got 90,000 miles on it. I'm the third owner i believe. It's strictly a weekend driver for me. The other two owners either drove it like hell, or I just got bad luck. I'm gonna call tomorrow and see what the damage is.

Well, the answer to those questions would tell you if it's a clutch or a transmission problem.

Reactions: Chris
Sounds like either your clutch is gone, or maybe your slave cylinder. When something very similar happened to me, it ended up being both the clutch and the slave cylinder going out.

Thanks for the update!

I had a feeling it was either the clutch or the master / slave cylinder. Glad you got it all taken care of.

It was the master and slave cylinder assembly that was shot. I'm back up and running now. Thanks for the input.
How much did that ending up costing you at the shop? Same thing just happened to me now coming home from work but my tow truck driver was able to get it to shift again by rolling it forward some then it was able to shift again so I didn’t need a tow. I was able to go thru the gears with the engine off but like you, I wasn’t able to shift with the engine running when it happened. I don’t want this to happen again so I’m looking to have it fixed. I’ve done all the work for my TJ so far outside of regear but I think this job sounds like it’s out of my league.

Edit: just noticed that user was last seen December 2018😒

How much did that ending up costing you at the shop? Same thing just happened to me now coming home from work but my tow truck driver was able to get it to shift again by rolling it forward some then it was able to shift again so I didn’t need a tow. I was able to go thru the gears with the engine off but like you, I wasn’t able to shift with the engine running when it happened. I don’t want this to happen again so I’m looking to have it fixed. I’ve done all the work for my TJ so far outside of regear but I think this job sounds like it’s out of my league.

Given that he only has 4 posts and his last one was almost a year ago, I'm guessing we'll never see him again ;)

Reactions: KCsTJ
This is like forensic files for Jeep guys....he was last seen on the side of the road, with what appeared to be.....a clutch issue .

Reactions: KCsTJ
Replacing the clutch and master cylinder is pretty easy. A new one comes pre-bled so it is a simple job of removing the clutch cylinder, remove master cylinder, then snake it down and out, snake the new one in and then attach the clutch side, master side, and then check everything and POW you are done.

Reactions: jazngab

Here's my experience with this situation.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/ax15-wont-go-into-gear.25029/

Reactions: jazngab
Sounds like either your clutch is gone, or maybe your slave cylinder. When something very similar happened to me, it ended up being both the clutch and the slave cylinder going out.

Hey there I'm stuck with this issue now with the Jeep on or off I can't shift into any gear simply stuck in neutral. Change the master salve and it did not solve my issue. It's at the shop now and the tech is convinced I need a trans swap.

I'm open to all recommendations.

Hey there I'm stuck with this issue now with the Jeep on or off I can't shift into any gear simply stuck in neutral. Change the master salve and it did not solve my issue. It's at the shop now and the tech is convinced I need a trans swap.

I'm open to all recommendations.

Engine off and no shifting means trans issue.