Canvas Tool Wrap Comparison

Place your winch controller (if you don't have in cab controls), a soft shackle, and a tree saver (doesn't really apply to Moab since there are no trees) in an easy to reach place when sitting in the drivers seat. I can't count the number of times someone has been in a predicament where we needed to winch them and it was nearly impossible to get to the bag located in the back somewhere with the winch controller. Better yet, hook it up before you start wheeling but at a minimum at least have it easily reachable.

I have in cab winch controls but I still keep my controller in the center console just in case. I also keep a soft shackle, tree saver, and fire extinguisher readily reachable from the drivers seat (even if on side or upside down). Part of my problem is that if we are doing some serious wheeling and end up winching a few times, the tree saver and soft shackles typically end up in someone elses vehicle, so I keep about another four shackles on my roll bar all the way around so that it can be reached by anyone if needed.

Totally doing this. I agree and have thought about it. It’s a real PITA to try to get stuff out of the back of a TJ when you’re on a 30*+ incline. Console it is. Another point for a non-Rubicon.

Reactions: srimes
Totally doing this. I agree and have thought about it. It’s a real PITA to try to get stuff out of the back of a TJ when you’re on a 30*+ incline. Console it is. Another point for a non-Rubicon.

My winch controller goes in it's dash mount, like this.

67D-CF-MNT-WARN-001_700x700.png

My recovery gear is in the backpack I posted on the last page. It can be quickly grabbed and hiked to anywhere that it's needed. Extra soft shackles need to be easily accessible by the driver so they can be handed out the window if needed.

Place your winch controller (if you don't have in cab controls), a soft shackle, and a tree saver (doesn't really apply to Moab since there are no trees) in an easy to reach place when sitting in the drivers seat. I can't count the number of times someone has been in a predicament where we needed to winch them and it was nearly impossible to get to the bag located in the back somewhere with the winch controller. Better yet, hook it up before you start wheeling but at a minimum at least have it easily reachable.

I have in cab winch controls but I still keep my controller in the center console just in case. I also keep a soft shackle, tree saver, and fire extinguisher readily reachable from the drivers seat (even if on side or upside down). Part of my problem is that if we are doing some serious wheeling and end up winching a few times, the tree saver and soft shackles typically end up in someone elses vehicle, so I keep about another four shackles on my roll bar all the way around so that it can be reached by anyone if needed.

4 soft shackles all around the roll bar? Are they like this?

b87e21_47b1d26789834f4aa636a6b7aa8a2772~mv2.jpg

I received the Bravex Durapocket Tool Roll. First impressions are its very durable material (1200D with Kevlar stitching). Pretty standard 5-pocket on the inside. One bonus is I don’t have to learn to sew! (@NashvilleTJ). I can’t tell you if it’s better, worse, or equal to the after rev a that Nashville recommended. All I can say is thanks for giving me a heads up to research tool rolls and a good recommendation.

This one is different in that it has a pocket at the top rather than slots for wrenches.
7C0187E7-B87D-4AC1-9210-EC274F875DEB.jpeg

On the back it has several individual slots for wrenches with a Velcro flap and another zip pouch at the top.
D22449A1-2C5D-48C1-A22E-6984AB648FD1.jpeg

My 15” breaker bar does fit in the pouch, but it is tight!
CB895E2D-6AD3-43A7-8A2A-C192AE0F35B4.jpeg

A lot of my tools laid out in preparation for seeing how this goes.
8451B965-D681-458E-867B-E4A9103A6A18.jpeg

Wear around as a backpack if your a 14-year old going to a tool party.
5DAD1F87-3C4F-495C-9D3E-C66E07D2FC9F.jpeg

I received the Bravex Durapocket Tool Roll. First impressions are its very durable material (1200D with Kevlar stitching). Pretty standard 5-pocket on the inside. One bonus is I don’t have to learn to sew! (@NashvilleTJ). I can’t tell you if it’s better, worse, or equal to the after rev a that Nashville recommended. All I can say is thanks for giving me a heads up to research tool rolls and a good recommendation.

This one is different in that it has a pocket at the top rather than slots for wrenches.
View attachment 404333
On the back it has several individual slots for wrenches with a Velcro flap and another zip pouch at the top.
View attachment 404334
My 15” breaker bar does fit in the pouch, but it is tight!
View attachment 404335
A lot of my tools laid out in preparation for seeing how this goes.
View attachment 404336
Wear around as a backpack if your a 14-year old going to a tool party.
View attachment 404337

Will the high lift fit in there?

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
Getting ready to fix my tool setup, looks like the Terrev is NLA unless you want to order it from India, I am going to order the Voltstorm/Bravex from Amazon. I have been carrying all this around behind the back seat of my Superduty in the blow molded case (all Craftsman), all the wrenches and socket handles in tool rolls crammed into the lid section after I carved it out. It works very well for the Superduty but not so much for the Jeep. I may downsize a bit as well.
Question for @NashvilleTJ , which socket organizers do you have and do they hold the sockets firmly? I like the way they have the ID tags for the sizes right by each socket.

20230419_100110.jpg

20230419_100128.jpg

20230419_100116.jpg

Reactions: JMT
Getting ready to fix my tool setup, looks like the Terrev is NLA unless you want to order it from India, I am going to order the Voltstorm/Bravex from Amazon. I have been carrying all this around behind the back seat of my Superduty in the blow molded case (all Craftsman), all the wrenches and socket handles in tool rolls crammed into the lid section after I carved it out. It works very well for the Superduty but not so much for the Jeep. I may downsize a bit as well.
Question for @NashvilleTJ , which socket organizers do you have and do they hold the sockets firmly? I like the way they have the ID tags for the sizes right by each socket.

View attachment 417789

View attachment 417791

View attachment 417790

The socket racks I use are Ernst, which is also what I use in my big box. I like them because the sockets lock on with a twist, and they also make a tray into which you can mount the racks. I believe you can get them on Amazon.

41856109-28EC-4C7A-A96A-0B897405013D.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm working on putting my tools together, I got the Bravex today. For my Superduty I carried wrenches up to 1-1/8" and 22mm along with 1/4,3/8 &1/2" drives of regular sockets and deep sockets on all making for 12 sets of sockets in all. It is obvious I am going to have to downsize for the TJ, plus the long wrenches don't fit in the Bravex anyway so I am thinking 3/4" SAE and 22mm max size on the wrenches and one set of each drive on the sockets plus deeps on 3/8" drives only which will reduce the sockets to five sets. If anything major comes up I wouldn't try and fix it on the road or trail/beach anyway and I won't be going miles from civilization. If I recall 3/4" will get the skid plate off and I can't imagine I'd need anything bigger, what sizes and varieties do you carry? I don't mean you guys who are equipped to rebuild a whole Jeep on the trail, that's not going to be me. Just the basics for common breakdowns.

I'm working on putting my tools together, I got the Bravex today. For my Superduty I carried wrenches up to 1-1/8" and 22mm along with 1/4,3/8 &1/2" drives of regular sockets and deep sockets on all making for 12 sets of sockets in all. It is obvious I am going to have to downsize for the TJ, plus the long wrenches don't fit in the Bravex anyway so I am thinking 3/4" SAE and 22mm max size on the wrenches and one set of each drive on the sockets plus deeps on 3/8" drives only which will reduce the sockets to five sets. If anything major comes up I wouldn't try and fix it on the road or trail/beach anyway and I won't be going miles from civilization. If I recall 3/4" will get the skid plate off and I can't imagine I'd need anything bigger, what sizes and varieties do you carry? I don't mean you guys who are equipped to rebuild a whole Jeep on the trail, that's not going to be me. Just the basics for common breakdowns.

I thought through all my sockets and pulled just the ones I thought I’d need for the trail. I’m not home now, but I think I have them all listed on my build thread. I’ll check and link.

Here’s the first post:
Post in thread '05 Flame Red TJ Build'
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/05-flame-red-tj-build.3998/post-1283712

Here’s the second where I added some more sockets:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/05-flame-red-tj-build.3998/post-1285399

Last edited:
I thought through all my sockets and pulled just the ones I thought I’d need for the trail. I’m not home now, but I think I have them all listed on my build thread. I’ll check and link.

Here’s the first post:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/05-flame-red-tj-build.3998/post-1283712

Here’s the second where I added some more sockets:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/05-flame-red-tj-build.3998/post-1285399

Thanks, I'll look it over when I am putting my kit together! I may have to come up with two kits, one for the Superduty and one for the Jeep, it's a pain to change them around and risk of forgetting something important. I also have a kit for my Sprinter, at least that one can be all metric.

Thanks, I'll look it over when I am putting my kit together! I may have to come up with two kits, one for the Superduty and one for the Jeep, it's a pain to change them around and risk of forgetting something important. I also have a kit for my Sprinter, at least that one can be all metric.

I would like to have a full time separate kit for my Jeep. As it is now I pull from my regular tools. It is a taxing process. Smart to do separate kits.

Reactions: John Cooper
Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.