Canvas Tool Wrap Comparison

Now I’m looking for a good bag to store recovery gear. I may have one already, but I need to pack it and see how well it works. Space is a premium in a TJ, so I’m open to suggestions.

I'm looking for a good bag to carry my stuff too. I have a 20' ~1" Yankum rope and other stuff to cram into a bag. I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Reactions: JMT
I'm looking for a good bag to carry my stuff too. I have a 20' ~1" Yankum rope and other stuff to cram into a bag. I'm curious to see what you come up with.

I keep my recovery gear in a backpack. Like below. They were on sale for under $20 at one of our local Farm stores.

71PWLEKGREL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Reactions: BlueC and NOTNSUV
Not exactly a tool roll - I've been using a prototype of a tool bag Overland Outfitters will have in production shortly. I'm not really a fan of tool bags/rolls that have the tools in pouches you have to dig through, I prefer a little more organization so this bag is perfect for me. I don't think the patch will come with the bag, but there's Velcro there to attach whatever patch you might want.

TacticalGearBagProto1a.jpg

There are 7 pockets around the outside of the bag. And if more storage is needed there's the MOLLE grid on the flap seen in the photo above.

TacticalGearBagProto1c.jpg

The tool are held in elastic loops on panels that fold out.

The tool panels are held in place in the bag with Velcro, so they can be removed if the bag is to be used for something else, and the panels can also be arranged in pages like a book instead of the unfolding flat and wide as in the video.

There's a zipper on the back of the bag so it can hang on OO's seat back zipper attachment. It's shown in my JKU but they also have seat back zipper attachments for TJ seats.

TacticalGearBagProto1f.jpg

This prototype is tan but they tell me the first production run will be in black.

I already had this Ridgid bag that usually carries my router. I thought it might work for my minimalist recovery gear. It does. What I like about this type of bag is an entire side opens (zipper on three sides). That way I don’t have to reach in and feel around for stuff. It also has a handle, so I can easily carry it where I want, set it down, and open it fully. I also like that it’s separate from my tools and trail parts. The contents include Warn winch control, two soft shackles, one 8’ tree saver.

9030FE3C-9A7F-43B1-AF8C-7BC968115853.jpeg

4BB95D8B-392A-4BA9-9635-776E064A4257.jpeg

A66B28EC-00F1-41D1-BF55-9C8B770AC7E3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueC
What do y’all think about a bag like this? It would be 1 big bag for the 4 smaller bags. It would fit behind the rear seat of a TJ. It has a large mouth, so it opens and you can grab the bag you need out of it. A consolidate’r of sorts. @NashvilleTJ. I know you don’t need this, but it would match your rig, sorta!

TOUGHBUILT TOU-60-30 30" Massive Mouth Bag, Black/Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A4VQT68/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Place your winch controller (if you don't have in cab controls), a soft shackle, and a tree saver (doesn't really apply to Moab since there are no trees) in an easy to reach place when sitting in the drivers seat. I can't count the number of times someone has been in a predicament where we needed to winch them and it was nearly impossible to get to the bag located in the back somewhere with the winch controller. Better yet, hook it up before you start wheeling but at a minimum at least have it easily reachable.

I have in cab winch controls but I still keep my controller in the center console just in case. I also keep a soft shackle, tree saver, and fire extinguisher readily reachable from the drivers seat (even if on side or upside down). Part of my problem is that if we are doing some serious wheeling and end up winching a few times, the tree saver and soft shackles typically end up in someone elses vehicle, so I keep about another four shackles on my roll bar all the way around so that it can be reached by anyone if needed.

Last edited:
Place your winch controller (if you don't have in cab controls), a soft shackle, and a tree saver (doesn't really apply to Moab since there are no trees) in an easy to reach place when sitting in the drivers seat. I can't count the number of times someone has been in a predicament where we needed to winch them and it was nearly impossible to get to the bag located in the back somewhere with the winch controller. Better yet, hook it up before you start wheeling but at a minimum at least have it easily reachable.

I have in cab winch controls but I still keep my controller in the center console just in case. I also keep a soft shackle, tree saver, and fire extinguisher readily reachable from the drivers seat (even if on side or upside down). Part of my problem is that if we are doing some serious wheeling and end up winching a few times, the tree saver and soft shackles typically end up in someone elses vehicle, so I keep about another four shackles on my roll bar all the way around so that it can be reached by anyone if needed.

Ryan and I had to utilize a “Rock Saver” on Son of Rockpile last year. The rock was not damaged at all…