Car pics too cool not to share

For 7/7 I present what's probably the most iconic '77 model car (one of the few mid-late '70s cars that I like, a T/A)

View attachment 341262

One of the few mid to late 70's cars that 4 square headlights replacing 2 round headlights didn't look like crap. I think unfortunately the accountants thought grilles cost to much and succeeded at eliminating them by 1979 and they just went downhill from there.
233226_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

1982-Pontiac-Firebird-Trans-Am-Racaro-01.jpg

Look how sad this one is:
1993.jpg

For Sale it could be yours

1960 Ford Thunderbird · Coupe · Driven 64,000 miles 1960 tbird sitting on 1993 Ford f250 4x4 chassis.has 7.3 diesel with 5 speed Manuel trans. Has 64,000 miles on running gear.runs and drives great.new glow plugs timer alt and battery.recent clutch and breaks.asking
7500 firm.grand coulee.
253-370-7349.

View attachment 340478

View attachment 340479

View attachment 340480

View attachment 340481

View attachment 340482

This reminds me of something you'd see on Mad Max!

One of the few mid to late 70's cars that 4 square headlights replacing 2 round headlights didn't look like crap. I think unfortunately the accountants thought grilles cost to much and succeeded at eliminating them by 1979 and they just went downhill from there.

I like the '79-81 T/A, I grew up with one, this one (forgive me for the old phone pic), so I'm a little bias. '79 WS6 403 car my dad bought new and drove it until I was 3-4, then it was parked and became my play toy. When I was 15 he had it restored, and I put many miles on it when I was a teen.

1657201373412.png

When I was a kid one of my neighbors had an '02 T/A that looked like the one below. I always wanted that car. The third gen, well I'm coming around to it, but it's still a hard sell.
1657201353776.png

I like the '79-81 T/A, I grew up with one, this one (forgive me for the old phone pic), so I'm a little bias. '79 WS6 403 car my dad bought new and drove it until I was 3-4, then it was parked and became my play toy. When I was 15 he had it restored, and I put many miles on it when I was a teen.

View attachment 341286

When I was a kid one of my neighbors had an '02 T/A that looked like the one below. I always wanted that car. The third gen, well I'm coming around to it, but it's still a hard sell.
View attachment 341285

I had an '02 Black WS6 for a couple years and absolutely loved the styling of that car. Unfortunately, the back seat wasn't family friendly and we had to part ways. It was one of a few cars from that time-frame that did many things extremely well (handling, braking, acceleration, etc.). I miss that one! :(

Reactions: BlueC
From the article; "The 1963 Corvette Sting Ray was inspired by a Mako Shark Mitchell landed on a deep-sea fishing trip. He blended the sleekness of a shark with the majestic movement of a Stingray to create the iconic split window design.

Of course, Arkus-Duntov immediately hated the split window for its impracticality and high cost, but Mitchell dug in and took his battle all the way to the brass in the boardroom. Mitchell won that battle and the Sting Ray won a tall stack of awards but failed to win over safety experts.

The blind spot created by the “tail” dividing the back window led many owners to replace the split window with a one-piece back window supplied by Chevrolet (Big mistake!).

GM’s accounting department and Arkus-Duntov’s influence made sure the split window wouldn’t see a second year and, in 1964, the split window was gone forever."

I sure would like to have a Corvette with a rear blind spot problem....
One of the Mako Shark cars.

1657203324044.png

Does that one still exist?

The article didn't mention whatever became of it. I'd say that based on it's condition at the time, it probably continued to go into a state of decline, and is nothing more than a memory, now. The article did elude to the fact that she couldn't really afford to properly take care of the car, and that at the time, it was just a "used car" that was readily available, convenient transportation. Add to that the fact that she was driving it in New York (salted roads during the winter months), and I feel relatively confident that the car no longer exists. Too bad, really...

Reactions: reddvltj and BlueC
Add to that the fact that she was driving it in New York (salted roads during the winter months), and I feel relatively confident that the car no longer exists. Too bad, really...

Most likely. Many vehicles have died that same death. My friend with a restoration/body shop just got a convertible '67 Camaro in from New York. I've seen rust before, but wow that Northern salt can do damage. Maybe that's why most Yankees are assholes. :unsure: It looked like an ok driver car, and the guy drove it to my friend's shop, but when they got it on the lift last week it started falling apart. Lower quarters were made up of cardboard and bondo, body mounts/braces/etc were gone. The car is so bad that the owner is now going to use it as a parts car and buy a new body, which I'm kind of excited to see in person.

Most likely. Many vehicles have died that same death. My friend with a restoration/body shop just got a convertible '67 Camaro in from New York. I've seen rust before, but wow that Northern salt can do damage. Maybe that's why most Yankees are assholes. :unsure: It looked like an ok driver car, and the guy drove it to my friend's shop, but when they got it on the lift last week it started falling apart. Lower quarters were made up of cardboard and bondo, body mounts/braces/etc were gone. The car is so bad that the owner is now going to use it as a parts car and buy a new body, which I'm kind of excited to see in person.

I'm from upstate New York, myself (but I'm only an asshole when I want to be...;)), and am quite familiar with the damage caused by the dreaded tin-worm. I once bought a '66 Mercury Comet 2-door hardtop in Saratoga Springs, NY. Car looked salvageable, until I made the mistake of putting it up on a hoist with both doors opened slightly. Oops. The car buckled in the middle just enough that I was never able to close the doors again. Instant parts car, right there, and a valuable lesson learned.