Car pics too cool not to share

1651577745614.png

I do love those first gen 'Vettes.
There's a story surrounding Boyer Chevrolet, in Oak Harbor, Washington, that I've heard since my high school. days. Apparently, an elderly gentleman traded in his '53 Corvette straight -across for a brand new Chevrolet pickup. I first heard the story in '79, and at the time, the '53 was sitting in the showroom as an original, unrestored car. Don't know if there's any truth to the tale, but it was a well-known story within the community.

I do appreciate things like fuel injection, power windows and AC are nice too, but I really despise these modern "gizmo" vehicles. I still run carbs and points in my classics. :)
The only thing I really wouldn't want to be without is front disc brakes. They don't even need to be power (I've owned several manual disc brake cars). Manual windows, vacuum wipers, manual transmission...all these things are fine with me, for the most part. My all-time favorite option, though? A toss-up between cruise control and intermittent wipers. Don't need 'em, but do appreciate having them.

The only thing I really wouldn't want to be without is front disc brakes. They don't even need to be power (I've owned several manual disc brake cars). Manual windows, vacuum wipers, manual transmission...all these things are fine with me, for the most part. My all-time favorite option, though? A toss-up between cruise control and intermittent wipers. Don't need 'em, but do appreciate having them.

I don't mind drums, even though I hate working on them, but vacuum wipers, that's something I can't tolerate. They work hard when you don't need 'em, and not at all when you do.

How many people here do you think know about vacuum wipers? :unsure:

This belongs to my FIL. 1970 Chevelle SS with the original 454 LS6 and 4spd manual. He bought it brand new when he got out of the Navy. My wife and I have been wanting to buy it but can't afford it. He takes it out every now and then in the summer, but for the most part it sits in their garage. As far as I know, its a numbers matching car. He took me for a spin last year and boy was it a blast. View attachment 327353
This is one of the problems with older cars. They are to expensive to drive regularly and end up sitting in the garage. It's also why I finally sold a '69 Camaro I had owned since 1980. That said, I have fond memories of cars like his 454 SS. When I was young I ran with a group of cars that included a red SS 454 Chevelle, Blue and Silver Boss 302s, Red Sunbeam Tiger, Black SS 454 El Camino, Gold 455 GTO, and my Sublime Challenger R/T 440. Frankly, I'm surprised that I'm even here today with all the stupid stuff I did in a car that, by todays, standards, was a death trap!

There's a story surrounding Boyer Chevrolet, in Oak Harbor, Washington, that I've heard since my high school. days. Apparently, an elderly gentleman traded in his '53 Corvette straight -across for a brand new Chevrolet pickup. I first heard the story in '79, and at the time, the '53 was sitting in the showroom as an original, unrestored car. Don't know if there's any truth to the tale, but it was a well-known story within the community.

It's possible. We have a similar story here, but it involved a red '55 Mercedes 300sl "Gulwing". The gist of the story is that a local guy bought the 300sl new and drove it daily for years. He would have the car serviced at a nearby Mercedes dealer who really wanted the car and one day in the '80s he made an offer that the original owner was ok with. He got a new SL and cash in the exchange.

Reactions: Wildman and Squatch
This is one of the problems with older cars. They are to expensive to drive regularly and end up sitting in the garage.

My cars, and several friends cars wind up sitting because we're scared some f'n moron on their phone will hit us. I rarely drive anything I like, including my Jeep, into the bigger cities, but I zoom around county/rural/country roads every chance I get.

I don't mind drums, even though I hate working on them, but vacuum wipers, that's something I can't tolerate. They work hard when you don't need 'em, and not at all when you do.

I don't mind working on drum brakes at all. They're what I grew up with, so "meh". However, I've only had one car that had front drums that performed as well as my disc brake cars, and that was my '65 Rambler Classic wagon. It was a 6 cylinder car that I upgraded to V8 brakes. No pulling, no fading. They were perfect. Also, as far as vacuum wipers, Rambler did it right. Instead of using manifold vacuum, they used a dual-action fuel pump that provided the vacuum via a diaphragm. You could have the go pedal planted in the carpet, and the wipers were still whipping along just fine. I pulled mountain passes in my '65 where the wipers were a non-issue. Can't speak for the set-up on other makes, however...

Reactions: reddvltj
My cars, and several friends cars wind up sitting because we're scared some f'n moron on their phone will hit us.
This was exactly my fear and that of those I know. I went out for a ride with my buddy in his beautiful "A" code '65 convertible Mustang, We stopped to grab a bite to eat and pick something up at the store. We were literally in the store for 5 minutes and came out to find a shopping cart up against the side of his car. And yes, he parked away from everyone else. That was the last time he stopped anywhere, except for gas, in the car.

Personally, I can't have a vehicle where I live in fear of driving and using it for what it was meant for. Unfortunately, I was like that for a while, where I wouldn't drive my Jeeps far, or on bad weather days. I'm over that now, probably because I'm older and want to enjoy life, even if it means I'll get a dent, scratch, or a little rust. I refuse to let other peoples stupidity make me regret not enjoying what I have! (y)

A baby picture of @cliffish...;)

View attachment 327544

The last '53 Corvette, built December 24th, 1953...

View attachment 327546
Yep that is about what I look like when driving my TR6!

About technology, I despise the touch screens and integrating controls into them. But after driving 23 hours over the weekend moving my daughter out of college...blind spot monitors would have really handy in the fully loaded minivan and outback.

Yep that is about what I look like when driving my TR6!

About technology, I despise the touch screens and integrating controls into them. But after driving 23 hours over the weekend moving my daughter out of college...blind spot monitors would have really handy in the fully loaded minivan and outback.
I struggle with the notion of auto-braking, lane assistance, blind spot mirrors, etc.. On the one hand, I can see where they could be beneficial. Other the other hand, however, I believe they give the driver a false sense of security, and the driver becomes reliant on these features, rather than focusing on practicing the skills they should develop when getting behind the wheel. Technology is something of a double-edged sword.

I struggle with the notion of auto-braking, lane assistance, blind spot mirrors, etc.. On the one hand, I can see where they could be beneficial. Other the other hand, however, I believe they give the driver a false sense of security, and the driver becomes reliant on these features, rather than focusing on practicing the skills they should develop when getting behind the wheel. Technology is something of a double-edged sword.
On my truck the blind spot mirrors adjust monitoring distance when pulling a trailer which is pretty handy to know when I'm fully around someone to get over. However, I still have a specific point in my side mirrors I use before I will move over into that lane, because I'm not gonna trust a computer.

I agree, I hate lane assistance and turn it off. Auto braking I think it could be useful, thankfully the one car that has it, it has never been used. Blind spot on some cars like my 14 explorer are nice to have, when the third row is up it totally blocks the passenger rear quarter panel window. I do not rely on it without checking myself before changing lanes.

Reactions: Squatch
I do appreciate things like fuel injection, power windows and AC are nice too, but I really despise these modern "gizmo" vehicles. I still run carbs and points in my classics. :)
I appreciate fuel injection as well - especially if its a pure mechanical system. I do insist on cruise control and A/C. However, power windows are stupid, and power seats are absolutely HORRID. The first I'll put up with, the latter I detest almost as much as smartphones. The old MBZ has power seats (and windows), and I hate the damn things. I do like solid state "points", but mechanical ones aren't nearly as bad as some make them out to be.

I refuse any vehicle with a screen in the dash.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman

I've never owned anything with them, but I've seen them in action. Very fiddly. I don't mind drums either, although disks are a lot easier to work on. Don't need power brakes at all, and power steering only on large trucks (and I know how to do without even there). Its kind of silly to have power steering on a car like my wife's Fiat "Pop" for instance. The first time I drove a vehicle with power brakes, I almost flew through the windshield. Took me awhile to get used to how touchy they are!

Reactions: Squatch