Car pics too cool not to share

I've never "found" anything, but I've known about plenty of cars stuffed in and around barns, and bought one. How would you feel about a Chevy in a barn? 🤔

View attachment 513377

This car has been sitting here my whole life, and I'm mid 30s now. I pass this car weekly. I forget the whole story, but I’ve been told it's a 70s hot rod with hot SBC and 4-speed. There used to be a 2-door '60 Impala sitting behind it and a '79 T/A Pace Car, but those were sold off 15-20 years ago.

Edit; I remember the story of the '56. The current owner is the mother. Her son who built it in the '70s was being young and dumb and was killed while playing Evil Knievel. He attempted to jump an open pit (basement dugout for a new house) on a motorcycle. He hit the wall and snapped his neck. The Chevy has sat where he parked it since, and mother will not part with it.

I also know of a barn or two nearby full of 32-40 Fords, but those guys (brothers) know exactly what they have. It's some of my dads friends he grew up with. They pull one out every few years and build it, but those guys are getting up there in years now. Actually, one of those cars sitting around is a '40 Ford convertible that has been completely disassembled, parts restored, and was being reassembled by the father of the two brothers when he died of a heart attack while working on the car. That was also in the late '70s early '80s. Their mother refused to let them touch anything on that car for the rest of her life, and she just passed a few years ago. I don't think they have touched the car yet. I have seen that car once. It's a dust array of sorted and painted parts and bolts sitting near a burgundy painted body sitting on a painted frame.

There are these finds up here how and then but I'm not as connected as I once was so I never hear about anything anymore.
I guess if I was to find something I'd still be picky and it'd have to be a Brand & model I really liked. Obviously if it's a special model then it really wouldn't matter.
I keep telling myself I'm not going to get another project when I'm done with the Jeep but then I surf FB or the net and see some rig that strikes my fancy and I start thinking about possibly getting something.

I'll wait until the Jeep is running/driving and the motorhome is running with NO issues before I make any decisions.

You should do it. As your financial advisor, I support this financial decision "investment vehicle". ;)

If I hadn't purchased my LJ 11 months ago, I probably would. Seriously. It looks clean, I've got a thing for the '60s Chevelles and quite like the SS/6 cylinder oddity it is. I suspect it's backed up by a 2 speed Powerglide as well. 4th owner, restored 17 years ago, garage kept.

ron-burgundy-erection.png

I've got a thing for the '60s Chevelles and quite like the SS/6 cylinder oddity it is.

I'm not as knowledgeable of Chevelles as I am the full size cars or Firebird/Camaro, but it sounds like "SS" was an appearance package on Chevelle like it was on the full size. Is that right? I know "SS" on the '62-'64, maybe later, full size cars was purely appearance.

I'm not as knowledgeable of Chevelles as I am the full size cars or Firebird/Camaro, but it sounds like "SS" was an appearance package on Chevelle like it was on the full size. Is that right? I know "SS" on the '62-'64, maybe later, full size cars was purely appearance.

I'm no authority on it myself....but believe prior to '66, the configuration of an SS could vary as it was more an option package than a specific model line. Part of the package was cosmetic but there were possible performance aspects as well. I love a V8 but as we all know a higher cube straight 6 can get the job done. As well, regarding this particular car, it reminds me of my '67 Malibu with a 250 and 2 speed Powerglide. This car is sporting a 230 and the gearbox is not specified in the listing, only noted as an auto.

It looks well kept...

00Y0Y_fRcDlVDNvQQ_0CI0lK_1200x900.jpg

00v0v_7YsSFKbWmu7_0CI0lK_1200x900.jpg

00r0r_4HYPd8JrdYw_0CI0lK_1200x900.jpg

I'm no authority on it myself....but believe prior to '66, the configuration of an SS could vary as it was more an option package than a specific model line

I bet Chevy treated it like they did the full-size cars. The SS package for '62-'64 Impala was merely an appearance package consisting of some different exterior trim, different seat covers/patterns, matching door panels and front bucket seats. Beyond that, you could check or leave blank whatever option box you wanted. I've seen a '64 SS car with inline-6, and I’ve seen a '62 SS car with column shift and no center console between the bucket seats. Odd options, but cars could be ordered and built that way.

Come on now, that's not the old car guy way. We decide what we like and buy on emotion, usually a little spontaneously. Damn the consequences! I've bought 3 like that so far. :sneaky:

@Squatch get in here and defend my decisions. :LOL:

'm already diggin as deep as I can to fund this engine overhaul so spontaneity isn't an option unless you happen to have some winning LOTTO tickets you'd like to gift me. This whole engine debacle went from a $10K project to $25K. Kills all my planned upgrades and other things I was hoping to do to the motorhome this summer. It SUCKS big time.

Yes on a normal day I'd be running down with cash in hand along with a trailer to bring that rig home. It's about 90% what I want for that 50's pickup converted to 4x4. It's me my tow rig for local runs & my DD once it was fixed.

• Sad
Reactions: reddvltj and BlueC
I don't care what it is or if you dislike the rig but how could you do this to something?

View attachment 513409

View attachment 513410

View attachment 513411

Until fairly recently, that was the bastard C3 with a value similar to a C4. (parts cars) What happened to that specific car, IDK, but I’ve seen better, more rare cars left to die like that, usually with the owner saying "I'll fix it someday".

On that note, have I told you how I'm going to fix my Impalas someday. :sneaky: If I didn't have to pay the tax man under duress every year, I'd already have some damn nice cars.

Last edited: