Car pics too cool not to share

I think I remember seeing that car in Rod & Custom 20 years ago. Those Mercedes headlights were the latest trick back then. I don't hate it, but I think white walls and something like Caddy caps would look better than those old Coddingtons. (I think that's what those are) My God I'm old, when did that happen. :sneaky:

Yup. I remember the Mercedes headlights going into the customs way back when. Can't think of any of 'em where I preferred them over good ol' frenched headlights. Just never was a fan.

Too bookoo...

fe9e9c2deb96719199251a6780480ffa-3681585325.jpg

So what's the story of why cab-overs disappeared? Safety requirements? Efficiency standards?

So what's the story of why cab-overs disappeared? Safety requirements? Efficiency standards?

I started out driving cabovers when I got my CDL with Schneider. They were offering free training for recently discharged military 🪖 in the early 90's. I drove for them for a year and then switched to KLLM for a year and then drove for a company out of Bosie. Can't remember their name right now.

I'm not sure what was the reason for companies going away for cabovers other than most drivers don't like them.

Reactions: reddvltj and BlueC

I thought it had to do with " bridging " , weight per axle vs. Length . Cab overs were too short over all length.
@RINC our heavy Haul guy should know , but he might be too young to have gone through the change over.

I thought it had to do with " bridging " , weight per axle vs. Length . Cab overs were too short over all length.
@RINC our heavy Haul guy should know , but he might be too young to have gone through the change over.

The reason as it was explained to me back in the day for running cabovers was length. With the shorter cab you could fit into some docks where a conventional cad couldn't.

Someone say heavy haul?
1711927217085.png

The reason as it was explained to me back in the day for running cabovers was length. With the shorter cab you could fit into some docks where a conventional cad couldn't.

I feel like there's plenty of truth in this. I did a stint in a heavy truck shop many years ago, and COE's, particularly without sleeping berths, were often referred to as "city trucks". The compact nature of them made the rig easier to maneuver in the tighter confines of a city or docks located therein.

th-2582151070.jpg

th-3880617471.jpg

I feel like there's plenty of truth in this. I did a stint in a heavy truck shop many years ago, and COE's, particularly without sleeping berths, were often referred to as "city trucks". The compact nature of them made the rig easier to maneuver in the tighter confines of a city or docks located therein.

View attachment 514114

View attachment 514115

I wouldn't like trying to climb in & out of one now. I'm sure I could do it but wouldn't enjoy it.