Car pics too cool not to share

Suppose it would be remiss to discuss Studebaker and not mention the Avanti, no?

5903-1-1024x683-2628606055.jpg

5903_2-1-2279622103.jpg

I happened by this today.

View attachment 511626

Not sure what to say about it.

Could have originally been a flower car, but my guess is it was most likely a hearse in a past life. If it was a hearse, he should have kept it as such, and put the effort into that build. Just my personal tastes and opinion, of course. I'm sure he's proud of it.

"Performance-minded". ;)

On a side note, for anyone interested, Studebaker/Packard V8s (259 & 289 ci) were so over built the factory books suggest "taking caution when overboring beyond .100 inch". A SBC would be in the water by then. I remember a local guy claiming he bored his engines .125 over. Guys running forced induction will routinely push 15 psi on a stock engine. I've heard and read that Studebaker overbuilt these engines anticipating the upcoming cubic-inch/horsepower wars. Obviously they didn't live long enough to do much battle.

'62 R2 Lark
View attachment 511522

I’ve posted this one before, but with all the Studebaker talk I couldn’t resist tossing it up again. Just love this ‘63 factory supercharged Lark Daytona:
IMG_4567.jpeg

The wheels aren’t stock, but they work for me. The guy said he has the originals, too.
IMG_4570.jpeg

IMG_4566.jpeg

IMG_4569.jpeg

I’ve posted this one before, but with all the Studebaker talk I couldn’t resist tossing it up again. Just love this ‘63 factory supercharged Lark Daytona:
View attachment 511644
The wheels aren’t stock, but they work for me. The guy said he has the originals, too.
View attachment 511646

View attachment 511643

View attachment 511645

The wheels look just right on that car, and the car itself is stunning! That's one of the most beautiful R2-optioned cars I've ever seen. Thanks for posting it!

Could have originally been a flower car, but my guess is it was most likely a hearse in a past life. If it was a hearse, he should have kept it as such, and put the effort into that build. Just my personal tastes and opinion, of course. I'm sure he's proud of it.

I guess I do have something to say about it. I got a slight glimpse of the rear sliding window that IIRC looked like it came from JCWhitney so I'm thinking former hearse. As for being proud, you're probably right about whoever built it, or paid to had it built but it's sitting at a car lot so maybe that person has taken his final ride (in a different hearse) fairly recently. Also FWIW, i hate 3 spoke wheels unless they're stock wheels on a Viper.

I have seen a couple different random cars at that lot and may have posted some here before. They were all garaged every night and disappeared fairly quickly but I'll try to get a couple shots from the rear.

Some Flower cars were really custom built beauties , others look like they gas axed a hearse.

903f346695fb0790e01625b744f4433c.jpg

cec7adc447a462e5e5802bdfb5b2b0d3.jpg

d1a7a2d9c6db5d782290de38d818dc05.jpg

da907948901d1b6f7774f34e0d319fa5.jpg

Some Flower cars were really custom built beauties , others look like they gas axed a hearse.

There's a whole subculture of car guys who collect, restore, hot rod and drive flower cars and hearse. I just don't get it. 🤔

Speaking of, my cousin, who owns a mechanic shop, was telling me about a guy he has been doing work for. This guy's business is building these cars, and apparently conversion work typically cost around $60,000. My cousin got excited and is thinking about adding a new service. I think one mouthy customer on the wrong day, and he'll be cuttin' up Caddys. :LOL:

Been to a number of funerals in my time....but I've never heard of or seen a flower car before. Guess folks where I'm from are too cheap when burying others, I dunno...

Been to a number of funerals in my time....but I've never heard of or seen a flower car before. Guess folks where I'm from are too cheap when burying others, I dunno...

They're an oddity here, too. I know an upholstery guy who is into the whole hearse and flower car thing (IDK what's wrong with him, but something is clearly off :sneaky:), anyway he has a few that he rents out and every now and then I'll see his mid-'50s Caddies in a procession, but that's the only flower car I’ve ever seen actually used.

Random thought, a flower car could make a nice Sea-Doo hauler. I don't have Photoshop, so you'll have to use your imagination, but just picture a Sea-Doo or two up there. :cool:

Like this, but classy because it's a Caddy. :cool: ;)

1711216837171.jpeg

1711216354385.jpeg

I like this one. V

1711216366803.jpeg

Last edited:
They're an oddity here, too. I know an upholstery guy who is into the whole hearse and flower car thing (IDK what's wrong with him, but something is clearly off :sneaky:), anyway he has a few that he rents out and every now and then I'll see his mid-'50s Caddies in a procession, but that's the only flower car I’ve ever seen actually used.

Random thought, a flower car could make a nice Sea-Doo hauler. I don't have Photoshop, so you'll have to use your imagination, but just picture a Sea-Doo or two up there. :cool:

View attachment 511736

View attachment 511730

I like this one. V

View attachment 511731

If you could make the back like a sled deck guys put on their pickups that would be cool too.

There's a whole subculture of car guys who collect, restore, hot rod and drive flower cars and hearse. I just don't get it. 🤔

I would absolutely own and drive a hearse, of any make. I've seen some nice ones from Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Packard. I think I even saw a DeSoto one time, but that might just have been a "Wouldn't that be cool?" moment in my head.

View attachment 511736

View attachment 511730

I like this one. V

View attachment 511731

That '61 (lower pic) is a beaut!

Last edited: