Carpets: should I rip 'em out?

It's wet now because a nit-wit left the top off on a night were it snowed. I swear it wasn't in the forecast. With all the rain we're having now it's hard to get it dry again.

I have to admit that another reason I'm tempted to de-carpet the Jeep is I've got German Shepherds. With GSDs no matter how much you brush them, you just have to accept that everything you own has dog hair in it or on it. When I psych myself up to clean out my Subaru wagon it takes forever and you never get all the hair or dander. The idea of a vehicle I could cleanup with compressed air appeals.
I have two German shredders so know exactly what you mean. I do a lot of vacuuming.

I've tried it both ways. There is something nice about the bare floor. Just spray it down when it's dirty. The down sound for me wasn't noise or heat, it's the rattling of loose change and other objects pinging around in the tub. I put the carpet back in just to protect the finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last time I saw my carpets was about '09..... shortly after the first time I did a stream crossing and water bubbled up over the door-wells. Never missed them, cleaning is sure easier, it does get a bit hotter and louder and I still plan on one day putting down a bedliner material, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Reactions: DrDmoney
My choice would definitely be to rip the factory carpet out, insulate the floor with either dynamat or the duct insulation that people have used, and then put in either BedRug or BedTred.

I used the bedtred because its less carpet-y, and love it! It's like bedliner that you can take out anytime you want and put back in. Power-washable, uv resistant, and wipes clean easily also.
Tough stuff!
This pic is from when i had just gotten the back installed (My install job was a bit crappy because of my effed up hands, but it's easy if you have normal hands!)
View attachment 10569

Looks nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have my tub completely bed lined. I also have carpeting on top, because I like to appearance. However, after this weekend of driving with the top and doors off, the carpet didn't hold down very well in some pretty strong side winds I had to go through. Thinking of removing the carpet and replacing with a rubber material to make cleaning easier. Either way, the bed liner should help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a sahara and noticed the carpet was wet. I still have the carpet in mine. I tracked the source of my water to be the heat insulator under the carpet retains water. so no matter how much you suck up with a shop vac and hair dryer (yes that's what I did for about two hours) and it kept feeling wet. Once I located the source I removed it and now it is dry. I also sealed up the HVAC foam and ensured the cowl drain was clear. Just my two cents...

I ripped out the carpet for the rear and only kept the front. Been that way for 12 years and it works well for me. Still have the factory floor mats too. Although the driver side does have a hole worn into it.

Anyone have recommendations for floor mats that work well without carpet. Most floor mats have nubs or small spikes to hold on carpet. My Jeep carpet free, and I do not intend on adding any in the near future.

They all probably have the nubs since they are used with carpets. The mats I use also have nubs and I don't run carpets at all and have no issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikester86
Anyone have recommendations for floor mats that work well without carpet. Most floor mats have nubs or small spikes to hold on carpet. My Jeep carpet free, and I do not intend on adding any in the near future.

The BedRug/BedTred stuff is on my list and everyone loves it. It's synthetic and doesn't get moldy or stain or anything. It's on my shortlist of comfort mods.

Personally I didn't care for carpet for a long time: took it right out in my first three Jeeps. However it was always annoying because the mats slip around too much with nothing to grab on to. Best bet is to remove any of the nubs you mention and then adhere some sort of rubberized material to the underside of them lest they just slide all around.

Reactions: Mikester86