Cast Iron Cookware

Since the Lodge foundry is just 6 miles from our house, that's all we use. :love::love:

Nothing wrong with Lodge, best bang for your buck! and will do anything a Wagner, Griswold any of the collectable cookware will do.
Also if you drop one and break a handle it's easily replaced and not cost an arm and a leg. Yes, the handles can break.... lost an old Gris my mother had that way.

Reactions: John Cooper
So glad to see this thread. I’ve had a modern lodge for a while that we mainly used for steaks. I just discovered how cool antique cast iron is: lighter, smooth cook surface, and much more character. I think I am addicted. In the last two weeks I obtained two Griswold skillets (5&8), a Victor skillet (9), a Griswold waffle maker, and an Erie griddle (9). Most of these are more than 100 years old (the Victor is about 90). I’m restoring the #5 this week.

I hope to get a more complete set (5-10) and then replace the wife’s ceramic set that is not holding up well.

View attachment 401932

View attachment 401933

View attachment 401934

I have a Wagner tall base waffle maker. I cleaned it up and re-seasoned it when I did the pans. I haven't had the time to use it yet. Maybe I will make a waffle for dinner tomorrow morning. (I work nights, LOL)
929A3788-F607-4B04-BDB7-2FF606A683AA.jpeg

I am actually keeping an eye out for the Griswold with a low base. I too am kind of addicted to them. :D

Made a waffle the other day. :D Had no clue on what I was doing as far as heat, how long on each side etc. I put the burner (gas) on med. and let it warm as I made the batter up. I used pancake mix and just used a little less water then I would have for pancakes. I poured it in, shut the paddle down and then turned it over. I only let it cook on the other side a couple minutes. The first side was perfect but I didn't let it cook enough to brown the other side. It did stick a little, but I chalk that up to not getting it done enough. It was done enough to eat though. :D Next time I will let it cook longer. Forgot to by syrup at the store so I will have to wait till I go to work and get some. :D

I do like using it. Drying it after cleaning it up is no fun though. LOL I also could have made a little more batter up to make it a tad bigger. :D

8CE47C96-3B85-4371-934F-3E8D03891B95.jpeg

57A0F31E-A749-431A-B42F-399F560F97F3.jpeg

I have never seen any difference between waffles and pancakes other than the former has such a huge surface area that they get cold quicker!

I don't know. I was reading a box of pancake mix and it gave instructions for making waffles with it. Said to add and egg and I think some oil? Can't really remember exactly. I know they actually sell waffle specific mix too. I didn't want to deal with adding anything so I just used less water. It worked. LOL

Reactions: John Cooper
I don't know. I was reading a box of pancake mix and it gave instructions for making waffles with it. Said to add and egg and I think some oil? Can't really remember exactly. I know they actually sell waffle specific mix too. I didn't want to deal with adding anything so I just used less water. It worked. LOL

That may well be, I dunno! I just notice that waffles get cold FAST!

Bought a chicken fryer skillet. I used it for the first time today. Didn't do to bad. First batch came out great, second batch got a little dark. I should have left the burner temp alone. I was measuring it with one of the point and shoot thermometers, and it read lower then I wanted it so I turned the burner up and next thing I knew, it was 400 degrees. Oops. LOL Live and learn. Main thing is it tasted good!! :D

0108062A-2D71-4FDB-B698-6925144F73D3_1_201_a.jpeg

B76A3164-A340-46D1-9C04-83F3F5A54CB1_1_201_a.jpeg