Cat back exhaust options for 06 LJ?

PKJones4

Howdy!

I have to replace my muffler/exhaust pipe in my 06 Rubicon LJ and was having problems finding a good selection of cat-back exhaust systems that were in my price range. My friend put a Flowmaster in his JL and I liked the sound/look, however, I have found TONS for the normal TJ but no complete systems for my LJ.

Do people have better luck just buying a muffler and the pipe separately? Any other brands or tips for looking for a new one?

Thanks in advance!

(P.S. This is my first Jeep and I am a novice backyard mechanic so please go easy on me!)

I have a magnaflow muffler with an before axle dump. With my experience magnaflow makes some pretty good stuff but that comes at a price.

For the complete system I’d pick the muffler and therefor sound you want and go to an exhaust shop and have them route an exit pipe to your liking. Would most likely be a cheaper option then buying a kit. Hope this helps!

I have a magnaflow muffler with an before axle dump. With my experience magnaflow makes some pretty good stuff but that comes at a price.

For the complete system I’d pick the muffler and therefor sound you want and go to an exhaust shop and have them route an exit pipe to your liking. Would most likely be a cheaper option then buying a kit. Hope this helps!

If it dumps before the axel does it use the second connection mount?

For curiosities sake, any reason to dump it before the axel? Just for easier install/removal? (WOW was it hard to get the exhaust pipe out lol)

Just bolts to the third cat and uses the first hanger.

I only had it dump before the axle because I crushed tail pipes twice and didn’t want to deal with it anymore. That being said I’m gonna have this run over the axle and out the back just want to figure a way to tuck the exhaust higher up and closer to the rear body.

If it dumps before the axel does it use the second connection mount?
no
For curiosities sake, any reason to dump it before the axel? Just for easier install/removal? (WOW was it hard to get the exhaust pipe out lol)
most dump style exhausts are used for simplicity's sake after installing a four link rear suspension

Last edited:
I have this one arriving tomorrow. I’ve already replaced the cats. I lost a rear driveshaft on the highway and the muffler took the worst of it flopping around. Plus my tailpipe is original and pretty dented as well. Local muffler shop wanted $585.00 to put a Flowmaster 60 and fab a tailpipe.

Banks Cat-back Wrangler Unlimited

The PO of my LJ had a Banks system installed. It's well made, sounds good, but is too loud more my taste, especially when going topless.

Avoid cat-back online purchases. They don't always fit properly and if you don't like its sound then you have to remove it and pack it back up to return it.

You're far better off going to your local independent (non-chain store) muffler shop and you'll probably spend half the $$$ too having them install what you want. Tell them the sound you want and they'll know what to give you. And if you don't like anything about it they're there in town. They can make it fancy with a stainless steel tip if you want. It'll probably cost 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of those online cat-backs from companies like Borla and have the same quality.

Avoid cat-back online purchases. They don't always fit properly and if you don't like its sound then you have to remove it and pack it back up to return it.

You're far better off going to your local independent (non-chain store) muffler shop and you'll probably spend half the $$$ too having them install what you want. Tell them the sound you want and they'll know what to give you. And if you don't like anything about it they're there in town. They can make it fancy with a stainless steel tip if you want. It'll probably cost 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of those online cat-backs from companies like Borla and have the same quality.
I tried to do exactly this. My local guy has done me solid work for years and was always reasonable. Estimate for Flowmaster 60 from the third cat to the bumper was $585.00. Tailpipe was going to be steel, not stainless. No tip. I bought a SS Banks Monster cat back with tip, clamps etc. to my door for $275.00. Installed in less than an hour and it is perfect. Tucks way up and looks great. Sounds good too.

I tried to do exactly this. My local guy has done me solid work for years and was always reasonable. Estimate for Flowmaster 60 from the third cat to the bumper was $585.00. Tailpipe was going to be steel, not stainless. No tip. I bought a SS Banks Monster cat back with tip, clamps etc. to my door for $275.00. Installed in less than an hour and it is perfect. Tucks way up and looks great. Sounds good too.
My experience has been that custom shops near me are significantly more expensive than mail order options.