CB Radio and Antenna Suggestion

It's hard to beat those antenna mounts that go between the tub and tail light. Stainless or aluminum is ideal, powder coated works too but it has to have its powder coating removed in several spots for it to make the required ground connections.
I bought one and returned it. Everyone keeps recommending them but i was uncomfortable with how much it wiggled being just on the taillight screws. Am I missing something?

I bought one and returned it. Everyone keeps recommending them but i was uncomfortable with how much it wiggled being just on the taillight screws. Am I missing something?
What was the length of antenna you installed? I use a 2' tall Firestick FS-2 and it works great, nothing taller than 3' is needed.

The Arizona Rocky Road antenna mount (they have single and double) is excellent and sturdy. It would get the antenna up higher. The downside is that you'll probably only have about 30 inches of clearance until you hit the garage door, the upside is that a 2ft antenna would probably work well since you said it's only for trail use in close proximity. While you want the CB to work the best you possibly can, just about anything works in close proximity. You could also just take the antenna off when you're not wheeling too and use whatever size you want.

I once drilled a hole in the top of my rear bumper and stuck a CB antenna through it because I didn't have any brackets and the ride required a CB. It's the absolute worst place for an antenna but I could talk to people a few hundred yards in front of me just fine.

ant.png

Reactions: Bargain Box
Any reason why the FS2 cost more than the FL3 that I already have?
Probably that the FL-3 is a lighter duty skinny whippy extra-flexible antenna. Now that I know that's what you're running, its thin fiberglass rod is why it is so whippy on the taillight mount. Going with the standard FS-2 or FS-3 will fix that.

I can check what mount (terraflex driver side tail light mount) and antenna I have, but I don't use CB anymore and could part with both. However I am not sure getting them to NC is cost effective.

I can check what mount (terraflex driver side tail light mount) and antenna I have, but I don't use CB anymore and could part with both. However I am not sure getting them to NC is cost effective.
I would be interested in what you've got if you want to pm me. I can take care of the shipping.

Reactions: rasband

Did you drill a hole for the fourth mounting screw, above the tail light?

It's hard to beat those antenna mounts that go between the tub and tail light. Stainless or aluminum is ideal, powder coated works too but it has to have its powder coating removed in several spots for it to make the required ground connections.
Or run a dedicated ground strap
Was not aware that's what that hole was for. Mine came with no hardware or instructions.
Mine came with a 1/4 x 20 speed nut. Drilled a hole, Painted the edge and hit it a dab of silicone before installing the speed nut . Rock solid with a three foot Fire Stick.

Or run a dedicated ground strap
Even with a dedicated ground strap you still need to grind the powder coating off in at least two locations. Where the ground strap connects to it and where the bottom half of the antenna mount, labeled 'SO-239 Coax Connector' below, touches the bottom of the mount.

ant-mount grind away location.JPG

Yep. Plus, as already mentioned by others above, that extra bolt can act as your ground path.
True, if done correctly. A simple wire will not work well enough to ground it adequately for an antenna, an oversized braided ground strap is needed for RF applications.