CB Radio and Antenna Suggestion

Bargain Box

Stand back, I built this s*** myself...
Supporting Member
I am trying to install a CB in my Jeep. I bought a Uniden 520, 3ft Firestik, taillight antenna mount, and drivers side dashboard mount for the radio. I tried to install the dash mount and it causes the radio to stick out to close to the steering wheel for my taste. I also tried to install the taillight bracket and it seems to be unsteady with it only being held on by the taillight body screws. I was wondering what everyone else was using and was happy with? I can mount my antenna on the spare tire carrier for now but will need a spring so it doesn't break off entering the garage. I could also mount on the bumper even though this will negatively impact signal. I only use it on trails in close proximity to other people anyway. Thanks for the thoughts!

Tail Light Mount
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094V3QW2B/?tag=wranglerorg-20Dash Mount
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNTVX9M/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Not for everybody, but this is what I did:

190.jpg

I have a 2 footer I swap in for trail use.

2b7.jpg

@Zorba and @RINC how did you conceal/route the antenna cable and power cable?

Both route through the overhead mount. Power I ran down through the driver side A pillar and out to the battery. Antenna coax went along the passenger roll bar and out to the antenna.

@Zorba and @RINC how did you conceal/route the antenna cable and power cable?
If you only have one radio, they can be routed inside the ARR mount with a bit of trouble. More than one like I have - I just tye-wrapped them to the frontside where they're out of sight from the driver/passenger.

Which is a GREAT way to mount radios! My Ham and GMRS are both mounted like that, although I put mine on top of the bar.
I fab’d the mount. It is similar to the ARR mount but raised about 1.5 inch higher to be as close to the roof as possible. That way with the radios below the mount they are still high enough to be out of the way. I will eventually mount the GMRS radio to the left of the CB.

I fab’d the mount. It is similar to the ARR mount but raised about 1.5 inch higher to be as close to the roof as possible. That way with the radios below the mount they are still high enough to be out of the way. I will eventually mount the GMRS radio to the left of the CB.
I was originally going to fab a mount similar to the ARR using "Uni-Strut" before I found out about the ARR. With that said, it might have been better to have gone ahead - the Uni-Strut could have doubled as a cable tray.

Reactions: Bargain Box
I am trying to install a CB in my Jeep. I bought a Uniden 520, 3ft Firestik, taillight antenna mount, and drivers side dashboard mount for the radio. I tried to install the dash mount and it causes the radio to stick out to close to the steering wheel for my taste. I also tried to install the taillight bracket and it seems to be unsteady with it only being held on by the taillight body screws. I was wondering what everyone else was using and was happy with? I can mount my antenna on the spare tire carrier for now but will need a spring so it doesn't break off entering the garage. I could also mount on the bumper even though this will negatively impact signal. I only use it on trails in close proximity to other people anyway. Thanks for the thoughts!

Tail Light Mount
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094V3QW2B/?tag=wranglerorg-20Dash Mount
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNTVX9M/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Looks like you already have some good replies here about alternative mounting locations for the radio. Mine is pictured here.

As for the antenna, I have had no problems using only the three tail-light screws. But like others have said, you have the option of drilling a hole in the tub for the extra mounting screw. As Jerry Bransford will tell you, that extra bolt can also double as your grounding path, if done right. (And grounding is critical, however you choose to do it.)

Reactions: MikekiM
X2 for the Arizona Rocky Road mount, it works extremely well. No drilling required either. The cable runs inside it so it's hidden and out of the way.

CB&HamRadios.JPG

Reactions: Bargain Box
X2 for the Arizona Rocky Road mount, it works extremely well. No drilling required either. The cable runs inside it so it's hidden and out of the way.

View attachment 296122
I actually tried to make something similar to this over the weekend with undesirable results. This is definitely the preferred option at this point. Still struggling with how to mount my antenna. I have a perfect hole in my tire carrier but it makes the 3ft antenna to tall for the garage. I either need a stubby antenna or I'll have to remove it every time i leave the trail.

I actually tried to make something similar to this over the weekend with undesirable results. This is definitely the preferred option at this point. Still struggling with how to mount my antenna. I have a perfect hole in my tire carrier but it makes the 3ft antenna to tall for the garage. I either need a stubby antenna or I'll have to remove it every time i leave the the trail.
It's hard to beat those antenna mounts that go between the tub and tail light. Stainless or aluminum is ideal, powder coated works too but it has to have its powder coating removed in several spots for it to make the required ground connections.

Reactions: MikekiM and SSTJ