CB Radio and Antenna Suggestion

Oooppsss...I was calibrating in ref and tuning in fwd. Well, I knew it was something stupid. Good catch! I'll leave in a bit and try tuning it in the open again.

Ha, great catch @TurboTJ. It's been too long since I did it to remember which way was which. One of those things you do once, then forget.

Reactions: Bargain Box
The lowest I can get my readings is 2.5-3. I'm going to try to clean up the ground a little bit. I'm getting feedback from the engine as well so I'm going to move the power wire to the battery from fuse 18. Thanks again to all. I at least have a working radio!

The lowest I can get my readings is 2.5-3. I'm going to try to clean up the ground a little bit. I'm getting feedback from the engine as well so I'm going to move the power wire to the battery from fuse 18. Thanks again to all. I at least have a working radio!
Is that on channel 20 or the worst case across the band?

The highest of 3 was on 1 or 40. The lowest of 2.5 was on 20.
Don't test in a garage, do test with a friend. If you know you have 2.5 on 20 and 3 on 40 then test both those channels with a friend a block away and you'll know exactly how much of a difference the SWR reading makes. If it blows you away then continue to seek low SWR. if you can't tell then you done, go wheel.

You have the antenna itself tuned properly (same SWR on 1 and 40, lower in the middle). Unless something is put together improperly with the mount, and I'm not familiar with CB mounts, I bet a little more grounding will get you into better territory.

I always use serrated lock washers on every bolt I want to be grounded.

11511319.jpg

cb1.png

I would put one here on the bottom side of the bracket if you can.

cb2.png

I would put one on this bolt. I would also put one on this bolt between the bracket and tub. If there's a nut on the back side of the bolt, I would also put one there. I assume there's 1 or 2 more mounting bolts like this, I would put 2-3 on each of those as well.

Don't test in a garage, do test with a friend. If you know you have 2.5 on 20 and 3 on 40 then test both those channels with a friend a block away and you'll know exactly how much of a difference the SWR reading makes. If it blows you away then continue to seek low SWR. if you can't tell then you done, go wheel.
The testing was done in an open area. The pictures in the garage were for illustration only. I'm happy with the performance at this point except the interference coming from the engine. Once I move the power wire that will be gone.

Reactions: pagrey
You have the antenna itself tuned properly (same SWR on 1 and 40, lower in the middle). Unless something is put together improperly with the mount, and I'm not familiar with CB mounts, I bet a little more grounding will get you into better territory.

I always use serrated lock washers on every bolt I want to be grounded.

View attachment 300279

View attachment 300277

I would put one here on the bottom side of the bracket if you can.

View attachment 300278

I would put one on this bolt. I would also put one on this bolt between the bracket and tub. If there's a nut on the back side of the bolt, I would also put one there. I assume there's 1 or 2 more mounting bolts like this, I would put 2-3 on each of those as well.
My thoughts exactly. Everything seems to be fine at this point but grounding could be a bit better. I can play around with it to try to drop under 2 on 20. For now, I've got a perfectly usable radio.

Reactions: thekidwithquestions
If it ain't just turn up the squelch. My fuel pump has a ham licence and often practices CW on 11 meter while I'm driving.
Yeah, mine too. I suppose I could reduce it somewhat by better grounds between body panels, the frame or whatever. My noise is not power supply related. Running the radio off a totally isolated battery makes no difference. Some things like the fuel pump and the intercooler pump just radiate either directly or through their wiring.