Changes for larger tires

JML

I’m having my stock 2005 Wrangler TJ lifted and putting on 32” tires (They call them 33’s but they measure closer to 32”). It’s got the 4.0 inline 6 with an automatic transmission. The build sheet says 3.73 rear axle ratio, Dana 30/186 mm front axle, and Dana M35 194mm rear axle. The current stock wheels have tires measuring a little over 28” so the tire diameter will increase by about 4”. Any suggestions / experience would be appreciated. Should I anticipate gearing changes? And if so, to what?

You have the 4speed auto trans correct?

I run 30.5 inch tires with the 3spd auto and 3.73 and it's perfect. You may want to regear, or change your plans.

I’m having my stock 2005 Wrangler TJ lifted and putting on 32” tires (They call them 33’s but they measure closer to 32”). It’s got the 4.0 inline 6 with an automatic transmission. The build sheet says 3.73 rear axle ratio, Dana 30/186 mm front axle, and Dana M35 194mm rear axle. The current stock wheels have tires measuring a little over 28” so the tire diameter will increase by about 4”. Any suggestions / experience would be appreciated. Should I anticipate gearing changes? And if so, to what?

yes you can look forward to a regear.

Like others have said, you'll probably want a regear.

The shop will probably send you home with some extra free air. Lower the pressure to 26 to 28 PSI. They'll probably throw in an extra bucket of lug nut torque too, mine have come home with 140+. I always back them off, and then re-torque to spec (90-100-ish).

If the tires say 33, just call them 33. We all have tires which are a little smaller than the official size.

Let this ruin your day.
42rle/30”/5.13=2973rpm @ 75mph

1688506464706.jpeg

Mine has 32 x 11.50s, 3.73 gears, and AX15 manual transmission. No issues with extreme Arizona desert rock crawling or highway driving. Downshift as needed to maintain engine at 2500 + RPM while climbing steep grades.

Last edited:
If the tires say 33, just call them 33. We all have tires which are a little smaller than the official size.

Can’t agree more with this. If the tires say 33 on them then for all intents and purposes are 33s. They squish down at the bottom under the vehicle weight and subsequently cause sadness and confusion to the unsuspecting person measuring them.

• Haha
Reactions: PNW_LJ
Can’t agree more with this. If the tires say 33 on them then for all intents and purposes are 33s. They squish down at the bottom under the vehicle weight and subsequently cause sadness and confusion to the unsuspecting person measuring them.

Exactly. Always claim the biggest size possible. It is more manly. If they are metric, why those run big for sure, you can snag 2” with those in the Alabama. No one here can convert imperial measurements, let alone handle the metric system. We shot some monkeys into space once though. I saw ‘em when I was a kid at the Space and Rocket Center. They seemed proud of it.

If the fish looked big, it was huge. A few pounds more or less doesn’t matter. It was a lunker. Nearly broke the rod.

Got stuck on the trail? We nearly died is how you tell it. Few Jeeps would have ever made it out.

Life is what you make it, so make it big.

Just feels better. 😂😂😂

Exactly. Always claim the biggest size possible. It is more manly. If they are metric, why those run big for sure, you can snag 2” with those in the Alabama. No one here can convert imperial measurements, let alone handle the metric system. We shot some monkeys into space once though. I saw ‘em when I was a kid at the Space and Rocket Center. They seemed proud of it.

If the fish looked big, it was huge. A few pounds more or less doesn’t matter. It was a lunker. Nearly broke the rod.

Got stuck on the trail? We nearly died is how you tell it. Few Jeeps would have ever made it out.

Just feels better. 😂😂😂

One day I’m going to live in Bama. It may just be one day, but I’m going to do it,

Last edited:

Just feels better. 😂😂😂

Kinda like my wife says I'm a grower, not a shower, what ever that means 🤷

Let this ruin your day.
42rle/30”/5.13=2973rpm @ 75mph

I have 42RLE, 4.0 and 4.56 gears. It is somehow adequate for 31x10.5R15 tires, but not more. I get like 2480RPM at 70MPH. Ideally I would get 2600ish with 4.88 gears.
I wish I would have geared 5.13. I would go with 32s or maybe 33s.

I have your setup. 2003 4.0L 42RLE and 33" MTRs. My gears are 5.13. Brakes are BBK but any upgrade in a storm. I have Detroits front and back. 30HP and a 44. Gear changes are expensive. So my advice is just 5.13 and done.

Hey boogie. You know they are all 8" if measured from the a$$hole.

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition

Just feels better. 😂😂😂

Width/25.4 x 2 x aspect ratio + wheel diameter in inches ;)

• USA Proud
Reactions: ColoJeep
Aside from all the BS about what size they really are, 4.88 will be perfect for those tires and I would definitely regear once they're installed. 5.13 would not be a bad choice either if you spend a lot of your time driving up into the local mountains.

Aside from all the BS about what size they really are, 4.88 will be perfect for those tires and I would definitely regear once they're installed. 5.13 would not be a bad choice either if you spend a lot of your time driving up into the local mountains.

Agreed- I doubt anyone ever regrets leaning toward the higher number.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford