Cheap axles? Dana 60 & Dana 44

Peakbagger

Improved heep
Supporting Member
https://denver.craigslist.org/for/d/denver-zamboni-ice-resurfacer/7710399264.html

1706656138169.jpeg

Zamboni 4x4 ice resurfacer. Running air cooled VW engine. Hydrostatic drive. Full time. Four wheel drive. Power steering. Dana 60 rear and Dana 44 front axle with gearing in the 5.80 :1 range. Hydraulic dump tank, conditioner lift and drive motors. Has some hydraulic leaks and fuel leak, but it starts, runs and drives. Weighs about 6200lbs.

Good farm project, off road truck, rock crawler axles or custom vehicle creation. $1000. Delivery is a possibility within reason. Would take a bit of work to go resurface ice once again, but it’s possible.

The engine, pump and driveline are all worth the asking price especially if you’re building a jeep or samurai rock crawler.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Crust and Weasellee
Yep, looks like you are right. For some reason I thought 5.38 was it.

The reason everyone says 538 is because the factory Rubicon lockers can only be regeared to thick cut 538 and the Rubicon is the only TJ with two Dana 44s. After that, the thinking stops.

Reactions: Crust
Cheap axles, but man would they be narrow. I think Zam’s are only about 4’ wide.

So perfect for a kid crawler!? Way beefier than would be needed. I'm thinking an ATV V-twin of some sort (or maybe a big bore single), something like a Samurai transfer case, coilovers and a tube chassis. Way out of my skill level, but they're always cool.
image.jpg

Reactions: inkedrose
So perfect for a kid crawler!? Way beefier than would be needed. I'm thinking an ATV V-twin of some sort (or maybe a big bore single), something like a Samurai transfer case, coilovers and a tube chassis. Way out of my skill level, but they're always cool.
View attachment 496032

Yota axles are a better fit for something like that IMO.

Yota axles are a better fit for something like that IMO.

Oh for sure, the 60/44 would give up way more clearance. But it would still be cool! And sometimes cool/unique is best, even if it isn't optimal. And you kid get your kids started early saying things like "it needs tonz!" lol (well more like 3/4 tons, but still)