Cheap Half Door Insulation

dbbd1

go away...
Supporting Member
My half doors have nothing in them except a huge reverberation chamber. I didn't even have the clear plastic moisture barrier, with super-duper goopey goo adhesive. So, while I was in there putting in my power door lock actuators, I decided to take care of that. $15 later and it's a lot better. I put pipe insulation in there, vertically, figuring that any moisture and/or dirt will still settle to the bottom and drain, like it should. I used a little less than 3 pieces of 6' long insulation designed for 1" pipe (a hair over 2" OD total), in each door. I just roughly measured, cut and wedged them in there, taking care to avoid the linkages. In fact, I didn't go all of the way up to the horizontal linkage rods between the door handle and the lock mechanism.

It's not perfect and I still get a lot of noise from the windows themselves but it is a noticeable difference. Maybe it will stay a little warmer too.

image.jpeg

So, when I bought the jeep, it had an "alarm" system in it. I use the quotes because the only thing that it did was power the flashing alarm light (when armed) and ignition lockout. The one light wasn't even wired in but, it didn't look like a backyard install. Therefore, everything was in place for the locks, I just had to install the actuators and run the wiring. I was able to run just 2-conductor for the actuators with my alarm system. A video or two and the install of the actuators was easy. I put a molex plug at the doors so I can disconnect them easy to remove the doors.

I also wired in the dome light while in there...

Reactions: KCsTJ