Check your skid plate, it is probably rusty

What’s the best way to support the transfer case.
I watched a few different videos to get the idea. I followed these basics which I cobbled to gether from a few different websites:

First I always Disconnect Negative battery cable

1. Park your Jeep on level ground and chock wheels and then using a 1/2" or 13mm socket, loosen but do not remove the 4 bolts securing the transmission mount to your transfer case skid plate.

2. Next, slide a floor jack under the middle of your transfer skid plate and jack it up till it's pushing on the skid just a bit. I used a 2x4 in between the jack and skid plate to distribute the load better.

3. Support the front and back of the drive train on both sides of the skid plate with jack stands. Do not count on jack alone. Remove the transmission plate bolts.

4. Using a 3/4" socket (NOTE: 2003+ TJ's use metric bolts), remove the 6 bolts securing your transfer case skid plate to the frame rails.

5. Slowly lower skid plate

To reattach:

(1) Position the skid plate to the studs of the support cushion and install the nuts
Tighten the nuts to 28 N·m (21 ft. lbs.) torque.
(2) Install the skid plate bolts to the sill and
tighten to 75 N·m (55 ft. lbs.) torque.
(3) Remove the transmission support.
(4) Lower the vehicle.
(5) Connect negative cable to battery

Reduce torque by 20% if using anti seize

This is one of the videos, not a TJ but same concept. There are a few online:

Reactions: RMETeeJay
Thanks "johnfromphilly", that helps and greatly appreciate your input. Take care
Just know that I am not a mechanic and take no responsibility for anything. Haha. That is just the process I followed. Tons of info available out there for almost everything you could want to do to your TJ. Good luck!

I’m not really sure what to think about this. I have kept an eye on most of the typical spots for rust. The body in all the typical spots. Nothing in the form of rust. I went under my frame and noticed what looked like clay, kinda orange clay. You can wipe it clean with a napkin. Can someone tell me what is could be? I’m not an expert on rust so excuse the ignorance.

IMG_6884.jpeg

IMG_6883.jpeg

I’m not really sure what to think about this. I have kept an eye on most of the typical spots for rust. The body in all the typical spots. Nothing in the form of rust. I went under my frame and noticed what looked like clay, kinda orange clay. You can wipe it clean with a napkin. Can someone tell me what is could be? I’m not an expert on rust so excuse the ignorance.

View attachment 451878

View attachment 451879

Looks like you had safety caps installed, or some other frame reinforcement. If that's the case, they didn't weld all the usual spots during the install.

Where do you see that? I thought it was a solid frame. I was concerned about the orange stuff on the frame. Could you point out where you see what you see? I’m not noticing any weak points and I can’t see any welds. My initial concern was the orange stuff that I can wipe off. Do you notice anything strange with the frame? I’m not aware of any frame repairs.
Looks like you had safety caps installed, or some other frame reinforcement. If that's the case, they didn't weld all the usual spots during the install.

orange

I am posting this as a warning and heads up about skid plate rust. I have a 2001 TJ that lived it’s life in South Carolina. I did a heavy inspection and the frame is rust free on the outside and inside, checked with a borescope. When I bought it I asked what things I should do and the forum gave me a great maintenance list and one member recommended pulling the skid plate, cleaning it and painting it before reinstalling with anti seize on the bolts. That was this weekend’s project.

The warning comes as I found a bunch of hidden rust that if I left it would have probably led to rusted and locked bolts and needing to replace the nutserts. Plus the rust would have spread on the frame.

Below is what I found and the process I went through to address the rust and reinstall the skid plate. Thanks to forum members for help with the process.

Rust on skid plate:
View attachment 238379

View attachment 238390

Rust on my “rust free” frame:
View attachment 238391

wire wheel and tons of elbow grease cleaning rust area:

View attachment 238380

Rusty bolts:
View attachment 238381

Added chemical rust remover as the areas around the bolt holes would not come rust free

View attachment 238382

Power washed and dried plate then painted it with Rust Oleum Rust Reformer to prep for paint. I could not get all of the rust off so I used this product

View attachment 238383
I was concerned about bolt rust so I taped off the threads and painted with rust reformer and then a layer of frame paint
View attachment 238385

Painted frame with Rust reformer after cleaning, and grinding with wire wheel

View attachment 238386

waited 24 hours and then painted everything with frame paint
View attachment 238387
Added anti seize to nut threads as well as cone area that contacts the plate:
View attachment 238388
Finished product

View attachment 238392

View attachment 238384

View attachment 238389
Did the same today after changing trans pan gasket and filter.

Attachments

• IMG_20230821_144242857.jpg
    IMG_20230821_144242857.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230821_144256923.jpg
    IMG_20230821_144256923.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 27
Where do you see that? I thought it was a solid frame. I was concerned about the orange stuff on the frame. Could you point out where you see what you see? I’m not noticing any weak points and I can’t see any welds. My initial concern was the orange stuff that I can wipe off. Do you notice anything strange with the frame? I’m not aware of any frame repairs.

orange

I don't see any potential frame repair in your pictures.

What I do see is what looks to be red clay. I don't remember exactly what state or states it's in but it's definitely from somewhere between Ohio and Florida, maybe some others too. My first experience with red clay was the whole underside of a one year old New Beetle I bought from Kentucky on Ebay. When we went to pick it up I was in shock until the seller told me where it came from. The fact that everything plastic under there was also covered in it helped calm me down.

I'll also add that you do want to look between the skid plate and frame no matter where your TJ has been over its life.

Reactions: RAC02
I don't see any potential frame repair in your pictures.

What I do see is what looks to be red clay. I don't remember exactly what state or states it's in but it's definitely from somewhere between Ohio and Florida, maybe some others too. My first experience with red clay was the whole underside of a one year old New Beetle I bought from Kentucky on Ebay. When we went to pick it up I was in shock until the seller told me where it came from. The fact that everything plastic under there was also covered in it helped calm me down.

I'll also add that you do want to look between the skid plate and frame no matter where your TJ has been over its life.

Red clay makes sense. I live in Florida so I bet your right. Yes I’m about to have the skid plate off so I will take a look there as well. Thanks !!