Code being thrown for CPS sensor

Forty

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey all. I’m banging my head against the wall. 2006 4.0, just had motor rebuilt, rv cam, .0003 over. Initial drive after getting her back together and check engine light is on and sputters at 2500 rpm. Code calls for camshaft positioning sensor (which is brand new Dorman that came with OPDA), change out sensor, engine light still on and now sputters at 3200 rpm, code class for crank position sensor, change that out, still sputters at 3200. I’m at a loss here.

Hey all. I’m banging my head against the wall. 2006 4.0, just had motor rebuilt, rv cam, .0003 over. Initial drive after getting her back together and check engine light is on and sputters at 2500 rpm. Code calls for camshaft positioning sensor (which is brand new Dorman that came with OPDA), change out sensor, engine light still on and now sputters at 3200 rpm, code class for crank position sensor, change that out, still sputters at 3200. I’m at a loss here.
It sounds to me like it's the Dorman camshaft positioning sensor.
These.jeeps don't run well with non-Mopar sensors.
I would remove the Dorman CPS and install a Mopar cps

Reactions: Forty
You have to use an OE CPS sensor. The only one that works is the Mopar factory sensor. Same thing happened to me and the OE sensor fixed it.

This is a very, very common issue.

Reactions: Forty