Color match spray paint

tomtaylz

LJR Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Going to try doing the aluminum part of my rockers my self, as I plan on getting the whole Jeep repainted in a year or two and then I’ll have them professionally done.

For my black (PX8?) is mopar paint the way to go or any of the other brands recommended? I saw there was all sorts on amazon and of course duplicolor.

Do dealers sell the mopar spray paint?

Going to try doing the aluminum part of my rockers my self, as I plan on getting the whole Jeep repainted in a year or two and then I’ll have them professionally done.

For my black (PX8?) is mopar paint the way to go or any of the other brands recommended? I saw there was all sorts on amazon and of course duplicolor.

Most auto paint stores can make you a custom rattle can to match (kinda) your existing color. They can even make it single stage.

This is a picture of a color match on my wifes car mirror cover. (She hit the trash can) i don't remember what one is factory.
20170220_133924.jpg

Reactions: Jack72 and tomtaylz
Most auto paint stores can make you a custom rattle can to match (kinda) your existing color. They can even make it single stage.

This is a picture of a color match on my wifes car mirror cover. (She hit the trash can) i don't remember what one is factory.
View attachment 72678

Dumb question: is that just like a Napa or O’Reillys or is there specialty automotive paint stores I should be seeking out?

I had a color match spray bomb done at Napa, well two actually... The first was their cheap version. I sprayed a test piece first, and it was nowhere even remotely close to my Jeep. Took the sample to them and they were shocked at how far off it was. They made up a can of the expensive stuff, and that matched perfectly. I can't remember what either was though, and I don't know if every Napa uses the same equipment.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Are you trying to do an exact body match, including a clear coat?

Black is black IMO. Just chose the sheen you want, usually Satin for rockers and bumpers

When I needed color matched paint for my red LJ I used these guys. They have aerosol cans as well as paint in a bottle. The color was spot on and I would recommend these guys.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/index.htm

Yes, you can get PX8 from the dealer in rattle can. I've picked a few up a while back.

Great thanks guys! I’ll probably get something local as it’s just black and I want to get my sliders on by end of month, this thread is great for future reference! I’ll try and source a auto paint store and if not give Napa/the dealer a try.

Reactions: skrelnik
Make sure to get some Zinc Chromate primer down on those aluminum pieces first, or you'll have problems. Aluminum forms an oxide layer very quickly and you need a Primer that will etch into it or each subsequent layer will have adhesion problems.

Note...The "self-Etching" Duplicolor and Rustoleum stuff won't do it...its GOT to be Zinc Chromate. I've been through this ordeal with my boat outdrive...

If you are going to use zinc cromate please use a real respirator not a dusk mask.... we have been fighting for years to keep it because it is the best primer on aluminum. The federal government has started to crack down on its usage.

"Recent studies have shown that not only is zinc chromate highly toxic, it is also a carcinogen.[17] Exposure to zinc chromate can cause tissue ulceration and cancer.[1][3] A study published in the British Journal of Industrial Medicine showed a significant correlation between the use of zinc chromate and lead chromate in factories and the number of cases in lung cancer experienced by the workers.[18] Because of its toxicity the use of zinc chromate has greatly diminished in recent years."