Colorado Daily-Driven Trail Warrior V2 - 2006 LJ

I used the barnes bumper and added a couple "hangers out" to help protect the corners. I have a bumper thread somewhere on here...

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/custom-high-clearance-bumpers.48723/

I planned on wrapping the lower edge but ended up not doing that. With the number of screws (I have a total of 12) that are in that plate and the way the gas tank skid is positioned, I didn't think it would be a problem...Probably regret it someday, but not yet.

Also, watch the shackle mounts...On mine, they were only welded on one side. I drilled a hole and put a big rosette weld on the backside. Hope this helps.

1708743989175.png

Note number two...I have Genright corner armor sitting in the shop right now, waiting to be installed. I also plan on a piece of 1/2 thk aluminum to bridge the two corners at the valance, same as @jjvw . It might be overkill, but I've put a TON of work into this wrangler, and I want to be able to wheel it and not worry about damaging it too badly...Right now, the corners are always on my mind and its gets in the way of what I want to do sometimes.

Last edited:
I used the barnes bumper and added a couple "hangers out" to help protect the corners. I have a bumper thread somewhere on here...

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/custom-high-clearance-bumpers.48723/

I planned on wrapping the lower edge but ended up not doing that. With the number of screws (I have a total of 12) that are in that plate and the way the gas tank skid is positioned, I didn't think it would be a problem...Probably regret it someday, but not yet.

Also, watch the shackle mounts...On mine, they were only welded on one side. I drilled a hole and put a big rosette weld on the backside. Hope this helps.

View attachment 503707

Note number two...I have Genright corner armor sitting in the shop right now, waiting to be installed. I also plan on a piece of 1/2 thk aluminum to bridge the two corners at the valance, same as @jjvw . It might be overkill, but I've put a TON of work into this wrangler, and I want to be able to wheel it and not worry about damaging it too badly...Right now, the corners are always on my mind and its gets in the way of what I want to do sometimes.

Awesome to actually see this.

That's part of what is pushing me to the Barnes.
The price is in-line with my ideas of fabbing up something that just simply works better than what's available (reasonably) currently.

Reactions: Wildman and Mike_H
I am inspired by this to try my hand with a customized stubby/tight bumper to get a bit more corner cover. Nice work on that bumper @Mike_H. Looking forward to your progress @zachpeakee.

In the end, it's all just metal and bolts.

Just make sure the metal is strong enough, and the bolts are actually holding something on. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: E-Ticket
Started on the LJ front Hub/BallJoint/Ujoint refresh tonight...

All the parts arrived for my front ball-joint adventure.
Spicer Balljoints, Spicer UJoints, and Timken Bearing/Hub assemblies ; as well as all new hardware.

Spent about 30 minutes tearing the front driver side apart, and everything came apart easily without much effort.
Honestly, I didn't have a single bolt give any issue. Everything dropped apart as easy as I could've asked for.
All that's left to do now is knock the knuckle down and press the joints out & reinstall. (job for tomorrow)

1708846650919.png

However, I've hit a pretty rough roadblock in my progress.
I've removed all clips from the front Ujoints, and for the life of me can NOT get the joint to budge from the knuckle.
(I'm unsure of the age of these joints, but would not be surprised if they've not been touched in the last 100k miles. 'Looking rough' would be an understatement..)

It's almost as if they're fused to the ears at this point, and my socket/mallet combo isn't budging them.

1708846780415.png

At this point, i'm a bit clueless as to what to do.
I've apparently shifted SOMETHING in there, as the knuckle is now very hard to turn by hand, whereas it was somewhat freely turning before I took the BFH to it.

This is my first time messing with UJoints on a front axle.
I'm a bit anxious because of the horror stories I'm reading in concerns to the many ways people remove these things.
However, my current method is gaining me no momentum, so I'll have to come up with a better idea.

Last edited:
You can heat the ears up with a torch and then whack em. The ear will enlarge and the cap gets some clearance.
If that doesn’t work AND If you’re careful, you can use the ball joint tool to get them out but know it’s easy to spread the ears and ruin them since it applies a shitload of pressure.

Reactions: MeanGreen86
It's been a tough week...and it's only Wednesday. :ROFLMAO:

As you guys know, I took on the task of refreshing my front end.
I've had some odd wandering issues, as well as a few other little quirks as far as driving mannerisms are concerned.

I was fairly positive it had to be something in correlation with the front axle/steering, and found that my Ball Joints had some play while checking things out.
(See post #217)

While chatting it out with you guys, @hosejockey61 thought it might have been a bit of unit bearing play as well.

Being the type of person I am, I decided to just replace EVERYTHING I could since I would have the axle apart anyways.
I'd rather spend the money and be in here ONCE right now, versus chasing issues in there again.

So I bought all new Spicer Ball Joints, Timken Unit Bearing/Hub, Dorman Hub Bolts, Spicer U-Joints, and all new Dorman Axle Hardware.

I'll make this easy for anyone in the future who reads this...
Spicer Ball Joints -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007N6OHI0?tag=wranglerorg-20
Unit Bearing/Hub - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZAF36?tag=wranglerorg-20
U-Joints - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009X1XDZG?tag=wranglerorg-20
Hub Bolts - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ID3YKXI?tag=wranglerorg-20
Axle Hardware - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CO8ZQU?tag=wranglerorg-20

I need to note here, I've never personally done this type of job on a TJ, so you could say I was pretty intimidated by it.
But, there was only one way to figure it out, so I started tearing it down...

Removed the tires to gain access to the Disk Brake Assembly

1709107563836.png

1709107587842.png

The front Calipers are held on by TWO 12mm hex bolts on the back-side.
(These are only torqued to about 11-ft/lb)
With them removed, the caliper is easy to pull off the Rotor by prying between the top edge of the Caliper with a screwdriver.

1709107786375.png

Make sure to hang the Caliper to avoid any brake-line damage.
(I like to hang calipers from the upper shock bolt with a piece of speaker wire...it works surprisingly well, and keeps the caliper out of the way)

1709107960331.png

With the Caliper out of the way, the Rotor is free to come off.
Once the Rotor is set aside, the first major obstacle of this job is in view.

This is the Front Axle Nut assembly.

1709108114200.png

Start by removing the Cotter Pin from the Lock Shield nut.

1709108191918.png

With the Cotter Pin removed, the Locking Shield is free to come off, as well as the shield retainer/tension washer.
(I'm not actually 100% sure what this weird washer is called, but it's purpose is to hold tension on the lock-shield so that it doesn't un-seat or rattle around)

1709108316740.png

At this point the main Axle Nut is in view.
This nut is torqued extremely high (175-ft/lb) , and you can bet that it will be tighter than that due to age.
(make sure you have the tools to remove this AS WELL as re-install this before you hack it up with improper tools)

You'll need a 36mm Socket to fit this nut.
I bought mine from Oreilly's for $13.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-1-2-inch-drive-standard-12-point/ptt0/gm8287

1709108447685.png

With the socket in hand, the easiest way I found to tackle this nut was to jam a large pry bar between the threaded wheel studs.
This prevents the assembly from rotating while you put pressure on your breaker bar.
(make sure to install TWO lug nuts onto the threaded studs, so you don't damage them in the process)

Note ; if you haven't previously dealt with this nut, it will be TIGHT. This one needs to be man-handled.
A bit of PB-Blaster on the nut for 30 minutes might make this slightly easier.

1709108626168.png

1709108642738.png

1709108761710.png

Once the Axle Nut is removed, proceed to removing the Tie-Rod End Link.

1709108842302.png

1709108857444.png

With the end link removed, you now have enough movement for full-access to the rear of the hub assembly.
There are 3 bolts along the back of the hub that hold the hub to the knuckle.
These 3 bolts are 13mm 12-point bolts. I'd suggest ONLY using a 12pt socket for these, as stripping them would leave you in an awkward situation.

1709109068007.png

1709109089351.png

1709109103255.png

Once the 3 Hub-Mount Bolts are removed, the hub is free to come off the Axle Shaft.
The hub can be tough to pull, but I actually found it easiest to wedge a small extension between the 'C' and the Outer Yoke.
With this extension in place, you can grab the knuckle by hand, and slam it against the extension, which will in turn force the axle/hub outwards.
It really was a simple '2-slam' ordeal.

1709109268466.png

1709109279053.png

1709109317389.png

With the Hub removed, the Axle Shaft is free to pull straight out of the Axle Tube.
This isn't over-complicated. Just pull it straight out of the tube.

1709109368198.png

With the Axle Shaft set to the side, the only things left are the Knuckle and the Ball Joints.

1709109380076.png

Start by removing the Cotter-Pins and Castle nut on the Upper Ball Joint.
This is a 7/8" Socket, and is torqued to about 75-ft/lb.

1709109523282.png

With the Upper Ball Joint now loose, remove the Lower Ball Joint nut.
The lower nut requires a 1-1/8" Socket, and is torqued similarly to the Upper Nut.
Make sure to keep these nuts loose, but not fully removed. They will prevent the Knuckle from falling off when you knock it loose.

1709109631723.png

At this point, the Knuckle needs to be broken free & removed.
The Knuckle is TIGHT on the studs, and requires some force to release.
General consensus for this is to use a heavy hammer and smack against the flat surface at the top of the Knuckle.

1709109782329.png

1709109796427.png

I however found this method to be overly-exerting.
After about the 10th hit, my lower stud was still holding tight.
Since I was replacing the Ball-Joints anyways, and damage to the joints weren't a concern, I used a Pickle Fork instead and had the Knuckle loose in about 10 seconds.

1709109900489.png

1709109911112.png

With the Knuckle off the Axle, you're free to start the Ball Joint Removal process.
THIS REQUIRES A HEAVY DUTY NICE QUALITY BALL JOINT PRESS.
(I rented my BJ Press as well as the extra optional BJ Press Attachment Kit from Autozone for $300 with a 90-day return window for 100% money-back)
(Oreilly's was priced similarly, but only allowed a 48hour window)

Remove the Upper Ball Joint first. This joint needs to be removed UPWARDS.
I won't dig deep into which attachments to use, etc. Use your brain, stack them however they work best, and start cranking.

*these ball-joints are pressed extremely tight, and from my experience with them in the last 24 hours, they will break loose LOUDLY.
The first one I popped loose, I thought I broke something. It sounded like a .22 went off in my fender. Keep cranking until it POPS, then crank it out some more*

1709110115997.png

1709110206704.png

1709110220661.png

With the Upper Joint removed, start pushing out the Lower Ball Joint.
The Lower Joint needs to be pressed out DOWNWARDS.
Again, same process. Stack the press attachments however you see fit.

1709110503514.png

Since the Upper Joint was removed first, there is space in the empty hole of the Upper 'C' to put the threaded press rod through.
This makes things significantly easier. Just be sure to keep the press straight, as to not damage the inside of 'C'.

1709110526895.png

1709110555040.png

To say my Ball Joints were Rusty, Crusty, and Dusty would be an understatement...

1709110589291.png

At this point, the hard-part is pretty much over.
It's time to reinstall the new Ball-Joints!

1709110639092.png

Reinstallation is the opposite of Removal.
Start by pressing the lower Ball-Joint into the 'C'.
This lower joint needs to be installed by pressing it UPWARDS into the 'C'.

Then Install the upper Ball-Joint into the 'C' by pressing it DOWNWARDS.

1709110710712.png

During install, the biggest thing to watch for is making sure the joints are properly seated.
They need to be completely seated in order to function properly.

1709110858197.png

1709110876735.png

With the new Ball-Joints seated in place, start working backwards through the steps.
Reinstall the Knuckle onto the Ball-Joint Shafts, then torque the lower nut to 80-ft/lb, and the Upper nut to 75-ft/lb.

1709111103339.png

1709111116092.png

Maximum file limit reached.
...continued on next post

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
Now that the Knuckle was installed, it was time to reinstall the Axle Shaft.
However, I bought new Spicer U-Joints that needed to be installed before the shafts were ready.

1709111408499.png

So I started the daunting process of replacing the U-Joints.
This was the most time-consuming part of the entire job, by a long shot...

Started by pulling all of the U-Joint C-Clips out.

1709111515208.png

After the C-Clips are out, I used a hammer & a punch to beat the hell out of the U-Joints.
I didn't take any photo's of this process, but to sum it up it was about 30 minutes of pure anger hammer swinging to break these things loose.

And they came out looking crustier than my grandpa's toenails.

1709111624918.png

Reinstallation of the Spicer U-Joints was a breeze compared to removal.
They went in without issue, and feel 20x better than the old joints.

1709111705794.png

1709111733015.png

After getting them seated, I reinstalled all of the new C-Clips and threw the Shaft back into the Axle.

1709111786176.png

With the shaft in the Axle, it was time to reinstall the Hub.
I bought the Timken HA597449 Hub/Bearing Unit, so again installation was fairly straightforward.

1709111887317.png

1709111909550.png

With the Hub in place, reinstall Hub Mounting bolts and torque to 75-ft/lb.
Once the Hub Bolts are torqued, it's time for the Axle Nut to be re-installed.

Same process as removal.
Throw 2 lug nuts on the wheel studs to protect the threads, wedge a large pry bar in between, and torque the axle nut to 175-ft/lb.

1709112033558.png

1709112063801.png

At this point the entire hub/axle/bearing is assembled.

1709112105091.png

1709112123914.png

1709112145869.png

I'm sure someone by this point has noticed, and THIS was the point of the project I noticed my Brake Dust Shield laying on the garage floor.

You remember...the dust shield that goes between the hub and the Knuckle...about 20 steps back? 🫠
So I took it ALL back apart just to reinstall the stupid dust shield.

1709112311105.png

Rotor and Caliper reinstalled.

1709112328765.png

And that made for a job well done, and a beer well needed.

1709112477172.png

(PS. I'm only showing the photos of the driver side. I repeated the process identically for the passenger side. Even the part where I forgot my brake shield...AGAIN)

Pulled it out of the garage, and drove it around for a few miles.
It's snowing/ice on the roads, so I couldn't drive it over about 40mph. (for some reason this thing LOVES to get sideways on ice...)
But my front end feels AMAZING compared to before. It's tighter than it's ever been, and the steering/wheel response is 10/10.

I'm fairly positive that 90% of my funky wandering issues were resolved, but it's tough to tell because of all the snow on the road.
So I'll be waiting for that to clear up to give an honest response regarding those issues.

However, I am content either way because now I have dead-set knowledge on what all has been fixed/replaced in the front end, as well as mileage that I can keep track of for future repairs.

But at the end of the day, wrenching is wrenching, and I somehow successfully dove head first into something I had no prior knowledge of.
I'm happy, the LJ is driving great, and I'm sure I'll be back under it tearing something else apart next week.🤘

1709112406787.png

The best thing about doing what you did, is that you now know how to take things apart before breaking on a trail. I broke a front passenger shaft on Wheeler Lake. It took 20 minutes wheel up to wheel down to get it removed. No rusted on parts or unfamiliarity since I had taken everything apart before.

About your dust shield. No need to take the unit bearing back off. You can still slide the shaft right out with the unit bearing attached. Just remove the three 13mm bolts. And lastly, apply anti-seize where the unit bearing touches the knuckle. Also to the three 13mm bolts.

The best thing about doing what you did, is that you now know how to take things apart before breaking on a trail. I broke a front passenger shaft on Wheeler Lake. It took 20 minutes wheel up to wheel down to get it removed. No rusted on parts or unfamiliarity since I had taken everything apart before.

About your dust shield. No need to take the unit bearing back off. You can still slide the shaft right out with the unit bearing attached. Just remove the three 13mm bolts. And lastly, apply anti-seize where the unit bearing touches the knuckle. Also to the three 13mm bolts.

I noticed this tremendously just in doing what I did.
The driver side took me about an hour of disassembly, and another hour of assembly.
(I did the driver side first)

Once I knew what to do, how to do it, etc...The passenger side only took about an hour from wheel up to wheel down.
The Shaft U-Joints were the most tedious process of it all, as I am fairly positive those were the OEM/Factory UJoints from 200k miles ago...
Those things were BONE DRY, needle bearings had play in them, and they just crumbled apart in my hand.

1709157301573.png

I've got needle bearings all over the floor of my garage.
When the caps popped off, a few of them literally grenaded needle bearings around the room. :ROFLMAO:

On another note.
This got delivered today.

1709165763216.png

SYE is set to be delivered tomorrow.

I know next to nothing when it comes to SYE installation, and honestly watching videos the task looks daunting.
Transmission/Transfer Case Internals have always been my Achilles Heel. Something about a lot of moving components working fluidly together scares the hell out of me to attempt alone.

I'm a bit anxious about attempting this one myself, so I'll probably wait to get in contact with someone who knows what they're doing so we can share a few beers and make sure it's installed correctly.

I'd rather tuck my tail on this, than to ego my way through it and grenade something.
Probably going to post in the local Colorado thread here on WTJF to see if anyone is willing to put second eyes/hands on it with me.

Reactions: P man
On another note.

View attachment 505261

I know next to nothing when it comes to SYE installation, and honestly watching videos the task looks daunting.
Transmission/Transfer Case Internals have always been my Achilles Heel. Something about a lot of moving components working fluidly together scares the hell out of me to attempt alone.

I'm a bit anxious about attempting this one myself, so I'll probably wait to get in contact with someone who knows what they're doing so we can share a few beers and make sure it's installed correctly.

Probably going to post in the local Colorado thread here on WTJF to see if anyone is down for the task.

I would totally be down if I was still local.

It's really not bad though. I agree, I was intimidated the first time I opened mine up but it all makes sense once you're there and you'll get it just like the ball joints and axle shaft work you just did. Just make sure you move the shift shaft/lever and check that the right output shafts move when they're supposed to before you bolt it back up.

As far as gear boxes go, a chain driven transfer case is as simple as it gets.

On another note.

View attachment 505261

I'd rather tuck my tail on this, than to ego my way through it and grenade something.
Probably going to post in the local Colorado thread here on WTJF to see if anyone is willing to put second eyes/hands on it with me.

Dude you are worried for no reason. The np231 transfer case is stupid simple. Go slow and take notes of how things go together. Ask questions here. Don't forget to put the spring back. Ignore the part about cutting the shift rail it doesn't apply to you.

I guess my biggest question.
I've removed the Transfer case in the past when I did my AX-15 Swap on the TJ.

Would the SYE be easier to manage with the Transfer Case out of the Jeep, or is it even worth pulling out for the job?