Colorado Conditions around Ouray?

TeeJohn

Can anyone give me any first hand opinions on how the recent snow and cold weather will leave the backcountry routes around Ouray? I planned a trip through that area next week. I had intentions of driving Cinnamon Pass and checking out the off shoots along the way toward Silverton. I considered Imogene and Ophir Passes as well.
Will this weather end the season? If not, will there likely be places to avoid?

Since there aren't any replies, I'll suggest this. If you haven't already looked, I suggest using the Colorado Traffic Cameras as a starting point.

https://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/default

A quick look shows some accumulation and on-going snow (as of 7:30am Thursday) at higher elevations on US550, CO149 (which passes through Lake City on the other side of the Alpine Loop) and CO150 (which passes by Telluride). Snow is sticking to roadways above 9000'. Snow is continuing on the western and central sections of the Colorado San Juans, heaviest snowfall in the Telluride / CO150 corridor.

Broadly, roadways are very warm after the recent heat wave. They should clear pretty quickly once the sun comes out. Forecast has that happening tomorrow, with typical early Autumn weather returning by the weekend and continuing into next week. Gunnison and Crested Butte, for example, each saw 5" snow from the recent storm; virtually all of it has melted under cloudy skies and roadways are drying.

Someone who knows the area better might weigh in, but my sorta-related (Front Range) experiences say the snow should largely melt off roadways and trails. Many trails will likely be passable but be prepared for a little snow, some water and runoff, and plenty of mud, particularly in the early part of next week.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
my fingers are crossed, we're leaving tomorrow AM to meet my parents in Silverton. Might stay "lower" like Ophir and Last Dollar Rd on Saturday in hopes that Engineer will have more time to melt by Sunday.

I would call the sheriff's offices in San Juan and San Miguel counties and ask for current conditions and closures.

The Jeep tour/rental places should also have current info on what is open and what is closed, if anything.

It's probably muddy and very slick in places. Moab might be a safer bet.

I would call the sheriff's offices in San Juan and San Miguel counties and ask for current conditions and closures.

The Jeep tour/rental places should also have current info on what is open and what is closed, if anything.

Road and Bridge in either county are the ones who clear the passes come spring. I would give them a shout as they control the gates.

Technically black bear is open, but reports as of today is that it’s impassable.

ADF8EE6B-3D09-402B-B0C0-AAE78F77EE76.png

Thanks all for the input. I had my few days in that area and it all went well. The snow was melted from the trails and it was actually quite dusty. I puttered around on Engineer, Imogene, and Ophir. The Red Mountain mining area that strings along 550 was neat as well.
Along the way there I also drove gravel county roads From Doyleville to Lake City. While I wouldn’t discourage anyone from taking the route, there isn’t much dramatic to see along that way. It’s part of a Discovery Route.
Ouray was bustling. Business looked good. Masks everywhere. Many folks seemed to have them permanent attached.

Reactions: anarce and rasband