Awesome trip @deadbeat son . I’ve rolled through that area and many of those same passes a few times on a motorcycle, and also in a rig. Love Ourey and that entire area.

Reactions: deadbeat son
For day two, we decided to take a bit quicker route so that we could hit the hot springs earlier in the day. During our trip to the springs on day one, we learned that the water slides close at 6pm. With that nugget of information, we decided to take Mineral Creek to Animas Forks. I didn't get any good photos on Mineral Creek, but shelf roads like this are typical terrain, but with some off camber rocks thrown in here and there.

View attachment 456728

Eventually, we got to Animas Forks.

View attachment 456729

We walked around the town and explored the old structures. Hard to believe they had 27' of snow there one winter. I wish I would have taken some photos of the historical signs; the old pictures of the residents skiing the area were incredible.

View attachment 456730

From Animas Forks, we took CR2 to Silverton and ate lunch in the park. On the drive back into Silverton, we bookended the off road portion of the trip with another moose sighting, this time a bull.

View attachment 456731

From Silverton, we headed back to Ouray and the hot springs.

Monday morning we packed up and headed back home, but stopped in Salida for lunch and so my daughter could play in the Arkansas River.

Overall it was a great trip, but unfortunately I didn't bring my photographer!

Brings back memories. I used to live on the other side of Ophir Pass and would take that route for shows in Telluride. Best part of the country.

Reactions: deadbeat son